Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fans of this series here? It's one of my all-time favorite series and I love all the films very much in their own way, even the much-maligned fourth chapter. Disney recently bought the rights to more films, I'm excited. My ranking for the series is probably quite untraditional and controversial, but it goes:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
The Last Crusade

I think in a lot of ways Raiders is truly the best one, though I find Temple Of Doom to be the most entertaining. I actually go back and forth on Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. I like The Last Crusade but it tends to be my least favorite due to being so deriative of the original, though it's still a tremendous film.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
The American Film Institute (AFI) lists their Fifty Top Heroes and Villains of all time. You'll be proud to note that Indy is right up there near the top!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I totally bought an Indy hat...always wanted to do a costume, but yes I love Indiana jones lol
Raiders
Crusade
Temple (I feel bored watching this SOMETIMES...I don't know why)
Skull (I actually didn't really mind it, but its the one I watch the least)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I LOVE Indy! Went as Dr. Jones for a Halloween party back in 1997 (I think). Still have the officially licensed Lucasfilm hat I bought, although it's a little worse for wear and tear (it's not the years, sweetheart - it's the mileage...) We even had an Indiana Jones Halloween party back when Crystal Skull came out - my 6 year old dressed as Indy that year! Love all the movies equally except for Crystal Skull - which was ruined by CGI monkeys, poor Russian accents, and a certain refrigerator...

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Temple of Doom
3. Last Crusade
4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Would still pay good money to see a #5!

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Any fans of this series here? It's one of my all-time favorite series and I love all the films very much in their own way, even the much-maligned fourth chapter. Disney recently bought the rights to more films, I'm excited. My ranking for the series is probably quite untraditional and controversial, but it goes:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
The Last Crusade

I think in a lot of ways Raiders is truly the best one, though I find Temple Of Doom to be the most entertaining. I actually go back and forth on Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. I like The Last Crusade but it tends to be my least favorite due to being so deriative of the original, though it's still a tremendous film.
I'd swap Last Crusade for Skull on your list. The superfluous CGI in Skull just ruins it for me.

Doom is the best, hands down. Mola Ram just ROCKS!

I swear before I die, I'm making that temple...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Temple Of Doom is kind of like a Horror movie at times. Not out of place in a Horror film marathon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's everyone's favorite scene in the series? Mine is easily the entire mine cart chase in Temple Of Doom, still such an awesome scene.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I watched Skull once. It was enough to know to change the channel anytime it comes on now. When "nuking the fridge" takes the place of "jumping the shark" in bad/horrible/piss poor/outrageously stupid plot devices, you know you made a bad decision as a director/writer.

Raiders and Temple are by far some of my favorite films of all time. The fact that they reference them both all the time on Family Guy lets you know they are iconic films.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crystal Skull was definitely a disappointment for me when I first saw it, but I grew to like it much more with rewatches and watching it alongside the original three.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot about the Young Indy TV series as well, been years since I last watched any episodes. I mainly remember the NES game based on it which is fun but pretty tough.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This weekend I'll watch Temple Of Doom as part of my Horror viewing this October. I know it's not a total Horror movie per say but it definitely has strong aspects of Horror in it, it's not really out of place in a Horror marathon. Wouldn't you agree TOD is Horror-esque?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Harrison looks good for his age from how he's looking in recent footage and stills from The Force Awakens. Wonder if Indy 5 is next for him after that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A fifth was recently confirmed, very excited. Harrison did awesome in The Force Awakens and looks great, no doubt he can do Indy a final time.

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
I'm taking a we'll see approach. Harrison's what, 74? We have no script or director, just a confirmed plan to make a movie. Indy needs to retire/pass on the torch if they are going to carry this series on. OR, (gasp) pull the James Bond thing and recast the role. (I know they've said they won't do that, but it's really the only option to keep "Indiana Jones" for any length of time. )

So, moving along from there. What would Indy be going after?

In (movie) chronological order:

Temple of Doom: Sankara stones. Made up name for Siva Lingam. I won't go much into the symbolism, but considering what Lucas/Spielberg were going through at the time, it kinda made sense to them personally.

Lost Ark: The Nazis, tapping into Hitler's collecting of objects.

Last Crusade: Again tapping the Nazis for the Holy Grail.

Crystal Skull: Topical with the 2012 Mayan Apocolypse nonsense.

Minor relics:

Peacock's Eye (diamond from temple of doom)
Nurhachi's Ashes (Temple of doom)
Chachapoyan idol (Lost Ark)
Cross of Coronado (crusade)

So, what's left?

Off the top of my head:
Atlantis
El Dorado (Covered in the Uncharted Video games, which owe a lot to Indiana Jones, and are supposedly coming to the movies, so could be weird if both come out in 2017 or so.)
Spear of Destiny (once again tapping Nazis?)
Cintamani Stone (again, covered in Uncharted)
Fountain of Youth (Pirates just did it, and will be 3rd Uncharted if it gets all 3)
Inca Gold (though kinda covered by Crystal Skull "Gold" = knowledge)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts