Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a loongggg-time lurker here and thought that you all might be a great source of info to help supplement my research into this particular question.

My mom is visiting me for two weeks in NYC, mid-late October. We are dead set on either taking a train or rental car upstate for one weekend to soak in some fall sights and experiences. Neither of us are familiar with the area.

We both adore anything Halloween, but she is hesitant about doing something like the Headless Horseman in Ulster, for instance. So...I'd like to ask everyone here about what your ideal autumn weekend in upstate NY might look like. We are totally cool with anything 100-200 miles one way from NYC.

Would absolutely love any of the following:
- Brilliant colors, perhaps with hiking spots or calm lakes to row around. Crisp leaves underfoot, woodsmoke in the air, the works
- Atmospheric little towns and villages
- Halloween/spooky things to see or do, but not necessarily pro haunted attractions unless it's light on the gore and jump scares
- Open-to-the-public farms offerings pumpkins, apples, cider, and other treats
- At least one cute and affordable BnB

Any reccs or tidbits of info you could throw my way would be much appreciated. Basically, if you are familiar with the area, I'd love to just hear a description of your ideal fall weekend getaway -- heavy on that New England October aesthetic. Thank you kindly!! (I hope to be an actual participant here from now on)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello!
So I LIVE for October in NY. I haven't gone super far upstate but I do have a few places I recommend.

You mention you aren't interested in spectacle necessarily but if you do want to catch something, I recommend the Great Pumpkin Blaze. Tickets will go on sale on Labor Day and sell out fast! The graveyard tour in Tarrytown (sleep Hollow) is also a great historic event..

For what you're looking for:
My top recommendation is Cold Spring. You can take Metro-North out and there's several great hikes walking distance. If you want a more challenging climb. I recommend Breakneck, but if you want something easier going there are trailed just out of town that are to die for and that have super spooky ruins.
I'm also in love with the town. Just a tiny main street but there's cute antique stores and restaurants and they have two BnBs (though I have yet to stay in either)

The other place I'd consider is Beacon. It's a much bigger town, but it's close to Stormking which is cool, and you can rent Kayaks for the Hudson there. I'm sure they also probably have lots of little farmers markets and the like.

Peekskill also has some interesting trails and is worth looking at. We stumbled across a cool farmers market there and the free shuttle to the trails passed a beautiful BnB.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want more details about any of these places. I've only done daytrips thus far, but I'm DYING to overnight in Cold Spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! Both Cold Spring and Beacon look really cute. I'm a student who doesn't really get out of the city often, and we are both west coast natives just dying to finally see a (non-NYC) New York October (although NYC autumns are lovely don't get me wrong...but missing that country vibe). It's a little overwhelming, though, since there seems to be so much to see on the east coast this time of year.

I might reach out to you again especially re Cold Spring, gonna wait till forward these ideas to my travelling partner and see what she says :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I get overwhelmed by it too! I usually try to just pick one or two things per fall, but it's really tricky.

For a few city/fall vibes that feel less hustle and bustle, I recommend going up to Ft Tryon Park to wander around, easy to take the 1 or the A. While you're up there Tryon Public (if you're into good beer) or Darling Coffee are fun. If you want to PM me we can also talk about other city magic that makes it all a bit more bearable! There are a lot of really cool offbeat things here that people don't get to (and a lot of them are free or student level cheap )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts