Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing links on building your own mannequin on Pinterest lately and have become curious about cost. Would it be more cost effective to make my own, or would I be better off searching Ebay? I know building my own would be more labor intensive, but if it is a cheaper means I'm willing to make that effort. What are your opinions?

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
I guess I'm lucky here, my wife works in retail and I get them for free. As to your question I guess it really depends on cost and your time. I have never tried to build one, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy or cheap. What material were you thinking of using if doing it yourself?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the primary link on pinterest I've been eyeballing: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/384424518164762065/
I'm not really sure what materials I'll use just yet. . . But if I can figure out a way to use random materials I have laying around here, that would be the most cost effective. I'll just have to sift through the garage and attic to see what I have to work with.
I, of course, won't have the plastic mannequin used in the tutorial link. So, I'm thinking of using my own torso as sort of a cast for this project, which will result in a freakishly long torso for a female figure. Lol.
Here are a few more links:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/515099276102101215/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/123567583499369499/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/274086327293354840/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've learnt that things on Pinterest are waaaaaay harder than they're made to look. As long as the instructions are complete and don't leave any room for second guessing or estimation then its usually okay. I say give it a try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Okay so I actually made a mannequin torso recently. I saw one on pinterest as well that they used for sewing. I simply wrapped my own torso in saran wrap (they use a tshirt in the pinterest but I didn't want to waste one) then I just wrapped a tone of packing tape around that . Cut it off and re-taped the cut. Then I used cloth paper mache and latex over the top. Cool thing is as I was looking at it I realized the cloth didn't stick to the plastic so I cut that sucker off seperated them and now I can re-use the original. It was very cheap and I'm sure with some figuring you could do legs too.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I actually "Caught Hell" from some people because I had a dozen mannequins, and they were all female!? Who buys the most clothing? Men or Women? Who shops for styles? So what do clothing stores need? Female mannequins!
When the store is getting rid of mannequins will they be female or male? Female! Duh?
Try and find a mannequin of a child. Rare or so they seem to be.
You have to treat female mannequins right because their Parents are very rigid people!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. I figured if I was in need of male mannequins, I could just strap the "girls" down as one does for drag. . . but me thinks in your case the parents doth protest too much.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I'm all for building one myself. I have a male and female torso form that I picked up at the flea market last year and was thinking of replicating them with paper mache and filling them out as I go. Of course this will be a massive amount of work. :D

Told hubby I wanted to replicate him in paper mache just to see how many people we could freak out when they saw two of him setting on the porch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My mom recently bought some of the hanging ones that are only the front side of the torso. She got a real good deal on them. she has been talking about how to fill in the back side to use. I saw on her pinterest that she has some body forms that are made using two sets of panty hose. I don't think she has tried it, but might be worth looking into. She has several styles of body forms on it. She is printersdevil on Pinterest.

·
Reaper Queen
8,614 Posts
I have one of the front only torsos, I was wondering if great stuff would work, put plastic or something like that in it, then spray the great stuff in, layering if needed. Putting pvc in place first , so I can build the body from there. Any hints for doing that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had a lot of mannequins and have about 8 or 9 in storage right now. I get mine off of Craigslist and try to pay less than $100.00 bucks for them. I have seen and owned a few child mannequins and they are kind of hard to find.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody! After price surfing through the internet, I think I may lean toward building my own. . . and texaslucky, I think I may already be following your mom on Pinterest. . .

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've looked on Craigslist recently for mannequins and have seen the price range from $75 to $150.
You peaked my curiosity Abunai as to why even a decent one costs so much. I was surprised at the answer I got on the web. It seems we (the Holiday motivated folks) are one of the largest single groups of mannequin users in the world. Per person, it seems we have more of them that the average custom dressmaker, and are fast approaching the clothing labor force as owners of multiple mannequins. So it seems we are driving the price up against ourselves.
Don't ask what articles I got this info from, it was late at night with a roaring coffee pot, and a lot of time to kill. Suffice it to say, I wish I'd kept the old girl I had at my first apartment. She would have come in handy many times over the years. Today's prices are way too much
HM

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been seeing links on building your own mannequin on Pinterest lately and have become curious about cost. Would it be more cost effective to make my own, or would I be better off searching Ebay? I know building my own would be more labor intensive, but if it is a cheaper means I'm willing to make that effort. What are your opinions?
I watched this whole video a while back when I thought of doing my own as well. It seemed simple, but apparently took like two days!! And I would have some confinement OCD issues. Good luck my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkp4zLUuRE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts