Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that everything is put away I want to start on the biggest part of my build for next year. I want to build a master control room. And I 1st want to start with the control board, I was wanting to build somthing like TERROR SYNDICATE set-up that way I could control each room the way I want. I don't know much about prop controllers and and Comp. stuff so I think this is the easiest way for me to control my whole haunt in the end. I was hoping maby someone else has done somthing similar to what I'm talking about. I also want to add a camera system of 16 cameras we ran eight this year and I would like to add 16 more of a diiff. company I seen some cheap on ebay. I already build my sound system and have already started on a smaller version of it so this year there will be 7 car decks used for the sound in the haunt. we are going in a new direction for the lighting and will be going dark this year but not the typical led to led walk threw. O well there are some of the new ideas if anyone can help out let me know.

my my Cory hard at work lol...eating his Scare Rings

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thankz I was checking out his thread but I no nothing about DMX or the components he is using the build looks great and I wish I could do somthing on those line but I have no clue where to start...

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you. I had a difficult time understanding DMX. I asked a million questions and got many patient answers. Then I decided to just dive in and still asked many questions and eventually worked it out.

This year, I'll be in the same boat as you because I now want to expand the DMX haunting and I will have to make a control panel of some sort. I'm going to start by buying the eXorcist box (or DMeXorcist box if it's ready) and dive in again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Northern touch, I'm with you. I know NOTHING about DMX right now. I do think that it is the way to go in the future so might as well get on board now. I have a couple complicated props that I will be building this year and I think that DMX is going to be the best and easiest way to control them.

Terra, I saw that job you did on the Vampire coffin and thought it was awesome!! I have looked at a tutorial at vile things for a haunt controller, Controlling the haunt, 2005
I actually already bought most of the stuff for it but ran out of time to assemble it. Recently read a lot aboput the eXorcist and think that it may do more for me. Does the DMeXorcist have big advantages over the regular eXorcist?

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Northern touch, I'm with you. I know NOTHING about DMX right now. I do think that it is the way to go in the future so might as well get on board now. I have a couple complicated props that I will be building this year and I think that DMX is going to be the best and easiest way to control them.

Terra, I saw that job you did on the Vampire coffin and thought it was awesome!! I have looked at a tutorial at vile things for a haunt controller, Controlling the haunt, 2005
I actually already bought most of the stuff for it but ran out of time to assemble it. Recently read a lot about the eXorcist and think that it may do more for me. Does the DMeXorcist have big advantages over the regular eXorcist?
Hey, thanks :) For my first foray into electronics, it was relatively painless and I ended up with a powerful light show to go along with the pneumatics. I love what DMX lighting can do. I'll take a look at the haunt control system you are talking about. Thanks for the heads up.

In regards to the differences between eXorcist and DMeXorcist: From what I can gather, DMeXorcist is specificaly designed for DMX systems. But, it is still in production. I know that Phoenix UK is part of that design so hopefully he'll pop in here and tell us more.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Here's what I know about DMX. It is a protocol used in DJ lighting that through a single DMX cable you can have 512 addresses (channels).

So, for example, my coffin used four addresses for the fog controller, the 4 channel DMX relay switch used four addresses (I only used two of them; a regular light and a solenoid), and the two DMX lights used eight addresses in total and so that left 496 addresses I could use! WOWZER! That's off of ONE cable that is daisy chained!

So, I could conceivably run many, many props (I dunno.... 32 more!?).

·
Banned
524 Posts
It would be best to run a DMX relay controller that way each prop can have it's own designated DMX universe instead of sharing one with another prop. As you know DMX is a protocol used in lighting. So normally when you daisy chain fixtures together, that are typically of the same type. This make is easier to control. You can run them all together and address each it's own channel but then you are getting complicated and you might have props going off in unison.

One thing I am looking at doing for next year is to use VSA that is triggered by a PIR, if this is possible. I think it is, I don't see why not.

Thing about DMX in a haunt setting is someone or someones have to man it at all times. Unless you plan on putting it in some routine or trigger. Which you don't really need to run DMX to do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I really don't know where to start but this DMX stuff sound cool and I might give it a try.
just need to find some good info and if this is the way to go for me as for contorling the whole thing that is what I am looking for...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Terra, did you use a trigger for the coffin or does it run on a loop.

I'm wondering if we can use the haunt controller from vile things to activate the vsa the same way eXorcist does. It would be about half the cost. I'm going to get the demo and play with it a little.

What do ya'll think?

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
my system is built around the DMeXorcist under a beta test and is what i used to control this years display, it worked amazingly, not one single stutter, freeze, nothing. :) I have been very busy since halloween but should have a break coming up in the next few days so i will try and get pics and video up.

this year the system controlled 2 animatronic coffins, an animatronic grave digger, a seance room with 3 axis skull host, lighting, sound etc. the computer system was triggered with motion sensors with delays and if/then functions in the exorcist program.

i am going to post the rest of the how to when i get the chance and show it was all rigged and built.

feel free to ask questions

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
It would be best to run a DMX relay controller that way each prop can have it's own designated DMX universe instead of sharing one with another prop. As you know DMX is a protocol used in lighting. So normally when you daisy chain fixtures together, that are typically of the same type. This make is easier to control. You can run them all together and address each it's own channel but then you are getting complicated and you might have props going off in unison.

One thing I am looking at doing for next year is to use VSA that is triggered by a PIR, if this is possible. I think it is, I don't see why not.

Thing about DMX in a haunt setting is someone or someones have to man it at all times. Unless you plan on putting it in some routine or trigger. Which you don't really need to run DMX to do.
Sorry Texan, this is getting over my head. I understand having a DMX relay for each prop. It's the word 'controller' as in DMX relay controller that is confusing me. Is that the same thing? Because that's what VSA does, control the routine. You don't need another controller.

Also, I would understand if you are getting really crazy using many addresses for many props but I don't see why you can't use the single DMX chain to control a pneumatic coffin, lights in the room, a fog machine and then go into the next room and control a pneumatic trash can trauma more lights and strobe and still go into another room and do that same thing. It shouldn't tax the chain at all. As long as they all have different addresses and different VSA routines. But again, I am new at this but is where I am thinking I am going to go.

Also, you have touched on the one negative about DMX. There is no cheap way to get your different props to trigger. But, that is what EXorcist or if better, DMeXorcist, is exactly designed to do. Run multiple VSA routines all with triggers (manual or otherwise: mat, PIR etc.). Unfortunately, it's $300. But, at this point, I'm thinking it's way worth it.

To add to that: I manually triggered mine and actually am glad I did. With the little ToTs, I need that control and I believe you get a much better scare if you have a control panel where you can command the show. I may want some automatic triggers for some mild props (again eXorcist/DMeXorcist can do that) but not my major ones.

Guitarist151: I am so excited to see how it worked for you.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Terra, did you use a trigger for the coffin or does it run on a loop.

I'm wondering if we can use the haunt controller from vile things to activate the vsa the same way eXorcist does. It would be about half the cost. I'm going to get the demo and play with it a little.

What do ya'll think?
I manually ran my coffin. I had the computer in the next room where I was (I was the dot lady in the dot room). I had a wireless mouse that's pointer was on the start command on VSA. When the kids left me, I pressed the mouse to start the routine. The drag is that I discovered that the wireless mouse's range is only about three feet.

In regards to the Vile Things controller: Looking at the tutorial, that is way, way over my head. The whole reason I got into DMX was to keep me from wiring complicated stuff. I want more of a plug and play option which is why DMeXorcist looks so appealing to me. But, Vile Things controller does look like it accomplishes the same goals, it's just too difficult for me.

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
Sorry Texan, this is getting over my head. I understand having a DMX relay for each prop. It's the word 'controller' as in DMX relay controller that is confusing me. Is that the same thing? Because that's what VSA does, control the routine. You don't need another controller.

Also, I would understand if you are getting really crazy using many addresses for many props but I don't see why you can't use the single DMX chain to control a pneumatic coffin, lights in the room, a fog machine and then go into the next room and control a pneumatic trash can trauma more lights and strobe and still go into another room and do that same thing. It shouldn't tax the chain at all. As long as they all have different addresses and different VSA routines. But again, I am new at this but is where I am thinking I am going to go.

Also, you have touched on the one negative about DMX. There is no cheap way to get your different props to trigger. But, that is what EXorcist or if better, DMeXorcist, is exactly designed to do. Run multiple VSA routines all with triggers (manual or otherwise: mat, PIR etc.). Unfortunately, it's $300. But, at this point, I'm thinking it's way worth it.

To add to that: I manually triggered mine and actually am glad I did. With the little ToTs, I need that control and I believe you get a much better scare if you have a control panel where you can command the show. I may want some automatic triggers for some mild props (again eXorcist/DMeXorcist can do that) but not my major ones.

Guitarist151: I am so excited to see how it worked for you.

I run a single dmx universe, the universe has 512 dmx channels, each relay pack, servo board etc, has it's own address to communicate with the computer, I am running 4 different scenes each with it's own vsa routine. addressing is not a more complicated way of using dmx, it is the only way of using dmx. without setting the address of the dmx device the controller ( be it standalone or computer) will not have a way of communicating with the device.

and yes in stage lighting it is preferable to use the same company for all lighting but is hardly ever done as most companies won't make exactly what you need for every light in a show. :)

hope that helps

·
Registered
261 Posts
So with the VSA I could control the front of the house graveyard as one area. It will have several lights and a couple pop-up props. Then I could control the rooms that will be inside seperately, right? I'm building an execution room, a clown room and a coffin room. Coffins will probably be outside next to the graveyard. I'm just wondering how you would wire it all up. I am going to have lights and props going off in the front yard, the garage, inside the house and in the back yard.

The way it looks to me is that I would have a DMX cable that would go to the front of the house, attach the DMX relay and run the graveyard and coffin area off that one relay box. I would run another cable to the house and run the garage and inside of the house with another DMX relay. Then a third cable to the back yard to a third DMX relay to operate the props in the back yard.

Is that right????

I would REALLY like to see a setup thats already done with multiple rooms.

I looked at what you have on your MIB Terra, You have a 4 channel DMX relay in your coffin and only use one channel right? So you can operate 3 full other scenes with that one relay box? Can the VSA routine operate each channel seperately?

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Disclaimer: I am actually a newbie too with all this so bear in mind, I am barely comprehending this myself so please do not take my word as gospel.

First, you may be misunderstanding what a DMX relay does (understandable, so did I). In my coffin, there were some elements that were already able to understand DMX commands. The DMX LED lights did and the DMX adapter for the fog machine did. If that was all I was running in the coffin, I wouldn't need the DMX relay at all.

But, because I also wanted to run a solenoid for my pneumatic cylinder, I needed a way to make the DMX command given by VSA to be understood by the non-DMX solenoid. So, that's where a DMX relay comes into play. It takes the DMX command from the VSA and tells the solenoid that is plugged into it to fire.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts