Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
i was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap motor or even toy that has a motor that lowers something down and comes back up. example is that i would be using it for a ghost and attach to its arms to make the arms move up and down. THanks so much!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
A small motor with a crank like Otaku suggested would be a continuous motion.
All you need is a $3.00 AC/DC adapter attached to the motor wires to be able to plug it in.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Scary1215, I just did what DaveintheGrave is suggesting and it was a piece of cake! I soldered the connections but you could simply splice the wires together with electrical tape. Don't be afraid to try this option, you won't regret it. Now that I've learned to solder, I can't wait to do it again, it was soooo easy!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im sorry because im 13 and i dont know what motor does what im looking for so can someone tell me which one it is.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but im also not looking for a flying crank ghost motor im only looking for a motor that lowers something and can bring it back up slowly and an example is a ghosts hand making it lower and come back up just like a crank ghost.
Thanks

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Understood, Scary. This motor would not have the power needed for an FCG, but would work well for raising and lowering lightweight ghost arms. As DaveintheGrave said, just attach a small wall wart power supply (up to 12 volts) or, depending on how fast you want the motor to run, a 4 D-cell battery pack. This will give you 6 volts (4 X 1.5 volts) so the motor will probably run ~ 2-3 RPM. Battery packs are available at places like Radio Shack, and probably at Sciplus, too. Look around on the site. Wall warts can be gotten cheap at thrift stores ($1-$2).

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Aww, you are 13, now I understand your confusion. Hey Otaku, could you rephrase your last post so a newbie 13-year-old could understand it better? It sounded too technical even to me ;)

Like perhaps get this part 'link' and this part 'link' and have your dad splice the wires together.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
but im also not looking for a flying crank ghost motor im only looking for a motor that lowers something and can bring it back up slowly and an example is a ghosts hand making it lower and come back up just like a crank ghost.
Thanks
Scary, I see you are also in PA. :D I'm certain I've got a few plug-in rotisserre motors laying around in my garage attic. They provide a decent amount of power and are relatively easy to work with. As Otaku stated earlier, the motor just spins in one direction, so you'll need to construct a simple crank arm to get the up/down motion you are looking for. If you think one of these will work for your application, just let me know and I'll gladly mail one off to you. ;)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
ya know...it's things like this that make this forum what it is..:D:D:D

A great place to be.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scary, I see you are also in PA. :D I'm certain I've got a few plug-in rotisserre motors laying around in my garage attic. They provide a decent amount of power and are relatively easy to work with. As Otaku stated earlier, the motor just spins in one direction, so you'll need to construct a simple crank arm to get the up/down motion you are looking for. If you think one of these will work for your application, just let me know and I'll gladly mail one off to you. ;)
that would be great but first i need to learn how to build a crank arm.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
that would be great but first i need to learn how to build a crank arm.
Thanks so much
Can you give me a better idea of what you are trying to achieve with this project ? Do you have a picture or a drawing even you can post ? I am assuming you are going to mount the motor up above your ghost . Since you said you are not looking for an actual flying crank ghost, are you just looking for movement in one arm, or both ?

The rotissere motors have a square output shaft. I'll provide you with a piece of metal to mate your crank up to the motor itself. If you can give me a clearer picture of your idea, I can weld you a piece of stock to the output shaft to act as a crank. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's always the HeadDroppers that you can usually get for about $20 bucks at Michaels Arts & Crafts around Halloween.

hey wait guys before we all jump to conclusion the motor im looking for is the one that operates this skull (see above) Thats it. im sorry i got a little carried away with the flying crank ghost but a motor that turns is not what im looking for.
Thanks so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts