Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dark Knight version that is.
I know, I know; everyone and their 4year old is going to be the Joker but… I am a neurotic perfectionist that won’t settle for a store bought half attempted costume when I can make one much better.

I have all sorts of pics to work from, a few thrift stores nearby and a few choices on which outfit I want to do, (although I want to try and get the main costume).

I do have questions on how to go about it though.

What I have done so far: a simple (and close) reproduction of the hexagonal print he’s got on that button down shirt. (hardest part I say, cause buying one ain’t cheap) its not exact but from a distance (and the print size for that matter) it will work wonderfully. I might put it out on the web for free, or print my own shirts and sell ‘em cheap ;) To quote the Ace of Knaves "It's not about money,...It's about sending a message." Price it high and we'll make it cheap.

Anyhow, I am curious about whether I should put the print on fabric and make the shirt or buy the shirt and iron on/stamp on the print.

Also what fabrics are easiest to dye different colors and what colors should I look for so the transition is easy. Things I think I will have to dye: The overcoat, The undercoat, The pinstripe pants, possibly the vest.

And a makeup question: What do we know about rigid collodian? I have seen its effect and I do like what it does, but: How many layers would I need? How long does it last? Will it peel or flake? Does it cover well with make-up? Does it come off easily? Any harmful side effects? Should I use it in conjunction with something else?
I have tested some liquid bandage stuff that makes some nice burn scars but it doesn’t achieve the effect I am looking for

I have found the tie and socks on ebay pretty cheap so that’s not a problem, (not too worried about socks) and knowing my luck with temporary hair die, the washed out look wont be too hard to achieve. The belt, knife, pocket chain, are pretty easy,… the shoes wont be exact but I’ll manage something… oh the gloves, I’m thinking the ‘official’ costume glove will be less than desired, so I wonder about dying leather, cause if I can find gloves that fit the look I doubt they’ll be purple. Is there a safe way to dye leather without trashing the gloves?

This site has great reference pics, even though its of the 1/6 scale action figure:
Hot Toys - MMS 68 - The Dark Knight - 1/6th scale The JOKER full spec + pics - One Sixth Warrior Forum

Yeah I did my research…but it’s my neurotic perfectionist way… and mom thinks I’ll get obsessed and forget college…:)

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
If I were you I would. I don't like the ones they are selling. I think you could make a much better one your self and it would be unique.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I completely understand. I'm the same way. However, this year I'm taking a break. Mostly because I have no idea what to be! YIKES!!!

I think making or buying a shirt and then stamping it would be easiest. But then again, it's not about easiest, is it?!! :)

I've dyed fabric, both in college classes and for costumes. Go with a natural fiber if possible, like cotton, it'll take the dye better. Try to get cream or off white colored fabrics. Or if you're going for a bold color, try a fabric that's atleast in the same color family.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
And a makeup question: What do we know about rigid collodian? I have seen its effect and I do like what it does, but: How many layers would I need? How long does it last? Will it peel or flake? Does it cover well with make-up? Does it come off easily? Any harmful side effects? Should I use it in conjunction with something else?
I have tested some liquid bandage stuff that makes some nice burn scars but it doesn’t achieve the effect I am looking for
Rigid collodion is, in my opinion, the cheapest and best way to recreate the scars for TDK Joker without going into silicone appliances. I see so many people going crazy trying to make slush appliances with liquid latex, or slapping on heinous amounts of mortician's wax that it's making me crazy. Honestly, the scars are not that obvious, and the indentation that the rigid collodion creates is perfect. You'll need several layers for the deeper parts of the scar - shallower areas will require fewer.

I haven't used rigid collodion in a couple of years, but last time I did, I had it on for several hours and had minimal peeling. It wears quite well. The only issue I could imagine is that it may begin to peel up since it will be placed in a very mobile area around the mouth. Trial and error, my friend. The only issue I noted with it was peeling it off (much like removing a band-aid) - depending how sensitive you are, you may opt to use spirit gum remover to help remove it. Of course, it's always a good idea to test the collodion on your skin prior to the actual makeup application, just to be sure you don't have an adverse reaction to it.

Liquid bandage is similar, but not nearly strong enough to give the effect you're looking for.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
red sonja - i would like it to be easy, but i accept challenges anyhow :)

phantom - thanks for the collidian info, i saw that someone on a comic forum had used it as a tester and recommended it for the joker but no one wanted his advice (poor guy) i think people are intentionally making it hard on themselves to say 'hey look what i did!' silly people...;)

and to all thanks and keep the much appreciated advice coming, cause i can use it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dyeing leather, beware of the bleed. Even when you think you've rinsed it to death, keep going. OR really do yourself a favor and get the gloves too big and wear latex ones underneath. Just trying to save you a lot of scrubbing later ;)

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well he does have colorful hands, but i think thats from the face paint :)
what kind of leather gloves would i have to get to dye them, cause i thin treated leather is kinda dye proof... the latex gloves underneath is a good idea

O_O i wouldn't have to make the gloves my self would i!?!
sewing leather is hard, and buying leather is expensive...
i can dye pre-made gloves right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
brand new gloves usually won't take dye very well. But you can search for already broken in one at thrift stores and those will usually work. It won't take evenly, but it does have a cool effect. Keep an eye out for soft suede, too. Or...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Make sure your face is very clean before you apply the collodian. That way it will deepen real well.

Use pancake for the face. Allow it to dry and crack. As for the eyes use a kohl stick or cream base. Allow it to set a bit then hit it with a spray of water. Allow it to run and you should get a real nice effect.

I will be doing many Joker makeups this year.

Cary:D

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay gloves - i have this slate blue chunk of leather i could make at least 1 glove out of, could i dye that purple even though its already been dyed? i have a friend who works with leather from time to time, so i'm gonna ask him what he thinks about making gloves before i get too deep.

make up - *taking notes* 'clean face well' any other face prep before i put stuff on?

i read about the water trick and possibly shaking my head back and forth while the eye makeup is wet, i know a bit of face scrunching will be required to get the right lines in the forehead and around the eyes/mouth.

should i use food coloring for around the lips to keep them that near bloody red? and for the teeth, his teeth are yellow (and my teeth are not), would food coloring work for that or is there a better way to temporarily stain them?

and for the collodian - whats the drying time between layers, and could i use the liquid bandage as a seal to prevent peeling?

should i try to get cards? i plan to carry candy around with me but would joker cards be good to have on me as well?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tooth color will provide a longer lasting solution than food coloring. I'd recommend proper lipstick/color instead of food coloring for the lips, but if you find that it works for you, go for it. :)

Collodion dries quickly. You'll know when it's ready for another layer.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh red makeup will be used, i figured food coloring would be good for intensifying the redness on the lips esp., just inside, make it look kinda bloody like it does in the movie. the tooth paint looks like a better bet than food color.

so do any stores carry collodion or will i have to buy online?

i was looking at some other scar effect stuff and found a reference to this stuff called ca+pa, it apparently comes in a syringe, and i am curious if anyone has used it.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i should mention that i intend to be dressed up all day for halloween, starting pretty early in the morning and going as late as i can.

so any advice on how to help the scars last all day would be great

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
A little spirit gum should help keep the collodion from peeling. I bought mine on-line but that's because I wanted to experiment with it early. Check with stores like Spirit or any store that carries Halloween makeup.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what would be the best thing to use for making a cover for shoes, cause i think im just going to modify a pair of shoes i have, by just putting a false top on them, but i dont know what material i should use, any ideas?

also got bored and realized i had cream makeup in my room and found a tube of lipstick no one will miss. so yeah i did a quick makeup test, it was pretty easy to get the basic look, i will refine what i did so it looks better, the red i used was a bit too bright, and lipstick is not really cooperative with cream makeup, so im gonna find some red cream makeup.

i shouldnt be left to my devices sometimes...

no i didnt take pics but when i do a better makeup test i will take lots of pics to show everyone.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
went thrift shopping today and got a light blue shirt, gray blue suit coat and a tie that is pretty darn close ;)
so i've got nearly half the costume, still need a vest, overcoat, and pin striped pants. and a few other accessories.

thanks again for the help everyone and keep the ideas coming! :)

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
dogman, I'm following your thread and just can't WAIT to see how it turns out, it sounds like you've got things well in hand!! Good luck!!

I remember thinking while I was watching the movie that it was a good thing that the Joker's makeup was a little smeary, then it would be easier for people to do for Halloween...

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright in 24hrs or so i plan to have a pic of me with some molded scars on my face. i know i want to try for the collodion but i figured it couldnt hurt to make simple molded scars too, and if they look good i can reuse them.

that out of the way, i am trying to get some friends to be bat villains with me, but they dont know which baddies outside of twoface and the penguin would be best for the small group. i was curious if any one here had suggestions for the mob. (keep i mind i am in the northern part on lower mich. so halloween can get pretty cool) thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
For the shoes, just use some suede or microsuede and glue it to the surface with leather glue.

If you want Joker cards, you could just make your own.

Yet another joker card help - The RPF
Need the Batman begins Joker card image and evidence image - The RPF
lemmasaurus_ - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

i am trying to get some friends to be bat villains with me...
If no one minds being a secondary character, why not have some of the helper clowns from the bank heist. There is also scarecrow, though visibility could be an issue.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow thanks those are great, freaking awesome! :)
what should i print them on and how many should i print?

great idea with the helper clowns BTW i will suggest it to them ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts