Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a flying ghost setup.
I had it running last year. It was a large triangle with a distance in total of about 225 feet.

I went through two sewing machine motors hooked up to a AC fan control switch.

Just burnt through two of them.

I'm looking for a little something more heavy duty this year.

So I have two questions:

What motor should I be finding/using..and where should I find a pulley for the drive shaft of the motor....

The drive wheels are garage door pulleys......

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I'm in desperate need now...any help appreaciated. or I'm just going to go with the sewing machine motor again which will eventually burn out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only been working iwth AC...
Does it have the RPM to make the ghosts fly fast enought? How about the AC To DC conversion?

Sorry for all the questions...just new to this.

Rob

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you happen to remember which in-lb motor/RPM you ordered? Want to make sure it can pull things around at a nice pace.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bummer about these are that they are 5/16 shaft and most of the pulleys are 5/8 bore.
How did you deal with this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Jason..Going to give it a try.
I'm sure I can use the motor for other things if I need to.

Did you just cut an extension cord and hook it to the motor?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats also part of why wiper motors are so popular. you can use a pwm to make the motor go really fast or really slow, they typically have plenty of torque to do most projects as well. $50 to me is a lot more than I would spend. I buy the motors for average $7.5, pwm $6, power supply $10 (sometimes they are free, think PC power supply). So for less than half that cost I have a motor with plenty of torque and variable speed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thats also part of why wiper motors are so popular. you can use a pwm to make the motor go really fast or really slow, they typically have plenty of torque to do most projects as well. $50 to me is a lot more than I would spend. I buy the motors for average $7.5, pwm $6, power supply $10 (sometimes they are free, think PC power supply). So for less than half that cost I have a motor with plenty of torque and variable speed.
I used a wiper motor on another prop and if you can go the 12VDC route rather than 120VAC, I'd do it for sure. So many more options.

untillater, where do you suggest getting wiper motors? I needed one fast and ended up getting one from fright props. My butt still hurts from how much they charged me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hear ya. We have a couple "pick it yourself" yards around here. I just hadn't the time to go do it. Are there any particular make/models you look for? I think these ones from Monster Guts / Fright Props look like the come out of an early 90s Toyota.

Rob, didn't mean to highjack your thread. Yes, if you used one of these AC gearmotors, the can be wired right to a regular old extension cord. If you are open to the idea of using 12volt, I think you would be surprised as to what more you can do. Plus the shock of 12v only hurts 10% as bad as 120. LOL

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im not overly picky about it, but I do tend to stick with GM motors as they are wired the same way. The ones from monster guts were from late model saturns, there was a huge glut of them when saturn went under. ( I believe)

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you use a wiper motor,then you stop by the thrift store find the bin they throw all the wall warts in and on the labels you'll find from 3V-18V or more;look for ones that say 12V 1amp or more, 1000Ma it my say.grab as many as you can you'll wish you had more later! then cut of the end and wire to the wiper motor,and plug into the wall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts