Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
halloween usted to start for me in july i always began preping early. now im out of college have a real job, and fine myself in the middle of october and haven't made or bought a costume. have not been to any haunted house or attractions. so how do you guys keep the spirit alive, living in the real world, cause now that i have responsabilities is hard to keep on the magic??

·
Registered
407 Posts
i really dont know how to relate, because for me it isnt a problem. I guess you should try to remember why halloween was important for you, and go from there.

Forget everything negitive in the past about ween that has added to your present situation. Go to a time when ween was only about candy, friends, a special time....only you can remember what it was at its best, like the rest of us. From there, its all up to you.

good luck and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can see where a busy young life can take you out of it. But it never really goes away, I'm 38 and just started the haunting back up 6 years ago, that's quite a while from my teen/20's years.

As your life matures, takes shape, and slows down you tend to find time for things such as Halloween. Getting your schooling done and financial stability in place should always be your top priority. When that happens you will fall back on the things you appreciate most.

We'll be here waiting for you to amaze us when we're all to old to do it anymore. In the mean time enjoy what everyone else is doing and leave the apprehensions to our haunt victims!

Cause someday....they will be yours! :p

Those days will be here sooner then it appears....wait a minute.....I'm 38? >.<

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Go buy a pumpkin and a bag of fun-size candy bars of your choice and then watch your favorite Halloween-related movie. Hocus Pocus always does the trick for me!

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Have children and live vicariously through them. :D

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Vacation days! :D

Seriously, do what Madame said and just start! A scary movie, pumpkin, whatever it takes.

MsM

·
Registered
162 Posts
if's something's important, you make the time.
that's not a slam or anything, it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
600 Posts
For me the spirit usually starts at the end of August, but four things really bring it alive. Cool crisp nights, leaves changing colors, the smell of a fireplace burning (Damn I love the smell of a fire place on a cool crisp evening) and most importantly a Jack o' Lantern. If a combination of those four things can not do it for you I am not sure you will ever have the spirit again.

Go buy yourself a pumpkin wait for a cool crisp evening, start a fire and carve out a Jack O' Lantern. If this does not do it for you there is no help, Yikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
halloween usted to start for me in july i always began preping early. now im out of college have a real job, and fine myself in the middle of october and haven't made or bought a costume. have not been to any haunted house or attractions. so how do you guys keep the spirit alive, living in the real world, cause now that i have responsabilities is hard to keep on the magic??
I was there.

Tried to host parties, no one would come. No ToT's in our starter housing...just blah.

Then we had kids...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am building pretty much from January forward each year. Nothing major but little things here and there when the motivation hits me. That way I don't have to worry about getting in the "bla's" in Sept/Oct and it affecting what I get built.

I understand the being busy. Picked up a Halloween show for the weekend before and have a wedding in November!!!! All you can do is all you can do.

Last night I got a little pick me up (after getting attacked by wasps) when a group of kids biked by to look at what I had set up and say hello. It will be worth it when the kids show up on Halloween.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Those of us in the South don't get the crisp night air to remind us Halloween is on the way. No leaves burning nor turning color, sad right? Naw, I know it's the season when the first temporary tarp signs of Spirit get hung around the city. That's when I start window shopping, walking the aisles at Spirit, Halloween Express, Walmart or Party City, playing with the props trying to find this year's new ghoulish delight.

For colorful fall leaves, I go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby maybe pick up a few to refresh my wreath.

Of course, I watch all the ghost shows on cable now...SyFy is doing their 31 Days of Halloween as is ABC Family and I have Charlie Brown Halloween on DVD, which is a must. And last but not least, I picked up a sixpack of Octoberfest beer and the candy corn is on the counter in the kitchen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was having a hard time feelin' it this year as well. I knew it was coming, and felt it in waves, but not enough to actually put my stuff out. Then my daughter and I went for a neighborhood drive the other day, searching for any signs. Low and behold I DID find some pretty great yards and it was just enough to inspire me.

Good luck finding your mojo~

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I was having a hard time feelin' it this year as well. I knew it was coming, and felt it in waves, but not enough to actually put my stuff out. Then my daughter and I went for a neighborhood drive the other day, searching for any signs. Low and behold I DID find some pretty great yards and it was just enough to inspire me.

Good luck finding your mojo~
I need to take a drive into the city I guess! We are just a little west of FW and all there is in this town is one house with a couple inflatables and my house! We are IT!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You know, I was starting to get that way this year. Now, I have been working on Halloween stuff most of this month ( A Gene Simmons Costume as well as outdoor Halloween decorations) but I just couldn't get into the spirit. So the other night I figured I would go for a walk through the development behind my house.

So I am walking and off in the distance I see this house glowing like the sun (it was about 930 or 10 at night) I walked up to it and it was Covered in pumpkins, giant spider webs crawling up the side of the house, animated inflatables, witches, a Frankenstein, you name it this guy had it up. Unbeknown to me the guy was like 5 feet from me on the ground working on the electrical work for this Scooby Doo in a witch hat. We both saw each other and went like "OH JESUS!" and jumped about 12 feet in the air.

After a quick laugh I introduced myself and started talking to the guy about his house. Apparently he is in the construction business but everythings been going a bit slow (I can relate) so he figured in his down time between summer construction and plow-season he would take the Credit-Card over to Loews and lose his mind for about 2 hours (we've all been there 'oh I need this .. oo and this .. oh and that!') . He told me, that in the spirit of competition he has started a sorta Halloween Decoration War on his block and everyone else was starting to get heavy into the decorating to keep-up/one-up with each other.

So I bullshitted with this guy for a about 20 minutes then continued on my way. I actually stopped at a small Revolutionary War Cemetery by my house off back in the woods. (Back in the day we used to grab some beers and chicks then go and hanging out back there and get a little sauced.) The Cemetery is a little creepy at night but it was enough to get me feeling the Halloween spirit a bit more.

I guess what I am getting at, I wasn't really feeling Halloween until I encountered that guy who was REALLY FEELING HALLOWEEN. That little walk I took really got me into the spirit, and maybe that's what you should do. Cruise around, check out the decorations ... swing over to a Halloween store and check out the props and happy kids picking out their costumes (you know like a regular person, not a pervert) Just take a step back and look at Halloween as an observer for a few minutes, see people in the spirit and enjoying the holiday. Then when you step back into the box, you'll be ready to get out the credit card and go to Loews.

Happy Halloween.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm kind of opposite from you?!. I'm in college, lack the money haha, and want to do the best spooky stuff on Halloween as possible. I guess when you get a chance, take a couple of hours to sit back and watch a good scary movie, eat a caramel apple, and then check out this forum for ideas. Even if you only have a few things to set up or put out, try to do that since Halloween is on a saturday you might have alot more kiddos out there who will be stopping by?!.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if's something's important, you make the time.
that's not a slam or anything, it's just the way it is.
This is so true. If you are really into something no matter what you have on your plate, you don't let it go by the wayside completely. Maybe, you are burned out more than anything. Starting in July to me is really, really early, and thus you want to get away from it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I need to take a drive into the city I guess! We are just a little west of FW and all there is in this town is one house with a couple inflatables and my house! We are IT!
Oh no, that stinks! Truth be told after I dove outside of my neighborhood I didn't find much at all. Maybe my years of dedication has set a higher bar around here :p We saw full graveyards, zombies on roofs, skeleton posing in open caskets, even tree ghosts made us stop and look.
Wait your neighbors out, they'll catch on!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,488 Posts
This is so true. If you are really into something no matter what you have on your plate, you don't let it go by the wayside completely. Maybe, you are burned out more than anything. Starting in July to me is really, really early, and thus you want to get away from it.
July is too early? I started in February.... ;)

I'm on my 6th year of full on haunt display and 3rd year planning a party with a theme/decor/etc... and I'm reaching burn-out stage. The only thing I can tell you is to scale back your plans, your costume - whatever - and just do what is fun... THAT is what it is supposed to be about. If that means that this year you spend the day watching scary movies and scarfing Halloween candy in between answering the door for the TOTs, then do that. When it starts seeming like a chore, it's time to pull back on the plans and take a little breather. ;)

I do think being around others that are really into it helps. My hubby has actually been picking up some of the slack lately since I've been so overwhelmed and started dragging out the decorations and stuff and has it strewn all over the garage... that's usually ME doing that. :D He has been getting more into it (always liked it, but I was the one going crazy with the decorations and prop-building) so it's been sort of refreshing to have him on-board this year. :)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
We spend 364 days of the year frightened, worried, troubled over something, be it finances, relationships, world news, wars, disease, safety, health issues, crime, culture clashes, age differences, family, employers and the future.

We don't wanna die, we don't wanna age or hurt or break down, we don't wanna lose our health or our mental capacity, we don't wanna be threatened or intimidated and we don't wanna be alone.

Pick a fear, one of the big ones in your life, one of the really serious ones...

Make fun of it. Mock it, joke about it.

That's Halloween. Kids and candy and pumpkins and scary movies are all just the decor.
Listen to the creepy music alone, in the dark.
Carve a pumpkin now, you can always do it again in a few weeks.
You know that one horror film that always kinda got to you, the one you gave a wide berth and said, "nah, that might be a bit too much"? Rent it and watch it.
Call a friend and go to a haunted attraction, no matter how silly it seems or how tired you are. Make time.

Within moments of these activities, I bet you'll feel better. Own a fear or two.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts