Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I'd finally get to this point in my life, but I'm actually going to college! I was kicked out of my high school, told I was stupid and unmotivated and 'at this point I'll never get into college' by my counselors and teachers, and sent to the 'worst' continuation school in San Diego. Well, the school wasn't bad at ALL. Matter of fact, it was the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I went from having 130 credits in September when I was kicked out of Poway High School, and now have 200 at Abraxas Continuation School. I've got three classes left to complete and will be graduating in June.

I just got an email back from Mesa Community College saying that I'm in. I know, Community College isn't all THAT exciting, but I'm still very proud of myself. I was told for years that I can't go to college by the teachers and counselors at Poway High. And, now I'm going off to get a degree in Fine Arts.

My goal in life is to get a career in the SFX industry. Maybe start my own company or something along those lines? I'd like to take Tom Savini's School Of Special Make Up Effects course over at the Douglas Education Center in PA after college.

Sorry for the long post. I'm excited. :3

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Congrats Isabella! That's Fantastic news, and you should be very proud of yourself:) Each person's journey is very unqiue, just as no 2 people are alike, neither is the path that will lead to their success. In the worst of situations is where Gems are finely polished, just like this continuation school you went too turning out to be the best thing that every happened to you. Many times it's these very school's where you'll find the school system, it's teachers and philosophies have greater knowledge and capacity to think outside of the box "they understand that each student is created from a different mold, and that due to this individuality they each learn a little differently. Furthermore it's at these types of schools where the student as a person is validated, their indivdual mind & beauty are apprecaited. Far to often in mainstream schools students are coined as stupid, unmotivated, troubled, rebellous, etc etc simply because they don't fit nicely into their preconcieved notion as how someone should conduct themselves, they don't fit neatly into the little box they created for everyone. And counselors who require their own little ridged confines and wall in which to permform are going to gravitate towards schools that hold the same philosophies as what they believe in.
Sounds like this continuation school needs to be recognized for the excellence that they truly are, sounds like they really take the time to study their students and figure out what will work in the best intrest of that student:)
Congrats on graduating in June Isabella, that's a huge accomplishment in it's own right & you did it! It brings a huge smile to my face when I hear something like this.
And Congrats at getting accepted into College, sounds like you're travelling along a great speeds, hope you enjoy your studies in Fine Arts & reach your dream goal of getting into the SFX Industry one day, but always remember to keep an open and humble mind yet a noble heart, for we rise to great heights in life by a sometimes crazy winding staircase.

Best wishes Isabella:)

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Community College is indeed exciting! Yet another step on your amazing journey (and may it never end!) Very happy for you.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
CONGRAGULATIONS!!!
That's such wonderfull news! Thanks for not giving up on yourself. Those people at Poway High School need fired. They are not very good educators. Let me just say Community College is actually better than a full University when you start. Credits are easy to transfer and instead of spending thousends of dollars and many years you can gradutate much faster and still have a great job.

Im so proud of you. :) Keep us posted!

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
*WOOT* That's great news! I attended the local junior college before I finished at Illinois State. It's a great way to get started. Just make sure, if you'll be transferring to a 4 yr. university, you check that university's criteria for transferring credit, so you don't waste valuable time & money on courses that won't transfer! Congrats & good luck!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Good for you!! I started at a community college, it's a great way to get your feet wet, and save a bundle on tuition. Congratulations, IP!! Way to show 'em!! :D

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Congrats! Community college is not all that bad either. I go simply because I'm only taking basic classes right now until I transfer to a univeristi to thus work on my major. Theres no point at all to drop a ridiculous amount of money on just basic college course when you can do it much cheaper at a communty college. And the best part is you'll be saving money! Who dosen't like that? Congrats again and good luck!

·
Registered
257 Posts
'Gratz on graduation and going to college! If I had to do things over, I may have gone to a community college first. Diving head-first into a university was something of a shock. I have a bit more respect for community colleges than universities-- teachers at community colleges tend to care more about students than research. Tuition is also more affordable.

Just remember, for credits to transfer, you usually need a C or better in a class.

... and as a tip, if you're planning on attending a university eventually, you might want to speak with an adviser at the university AND at the community college to make absolutely certain the classes you take at the community college transfer. Sometimes, Universities are stupid about that sort of thing.... *grumble, mutter about universities*

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
You Go, Girl!!!

It IS indeed sad about School Administrators. They've extinguished a lot of Dreams over the years. Albert Einstien was pigeonholed as an underachiever. But, hey, whaddaya expect from mediocrity? Let nothing hold you back. All the best.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congratulations! Don't put yourself down when it comes to the community college. I'll tell you a little secret... you will get a much better start in life at a CC than a large University. Too many distractions at the big schools and it can be overwhelming for some. Get your head straight at the CC, get that Associates Degree, THEN tackle the big school and show up everyone. Happens all the time. Way to go!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts