Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually, the weather here in the midwest is not this cold, this early. Last year, it was 60 degrees on Halloween night. Something tells me this year is going to be different. I guess we'll have to have plenty of coffee, and hot chocolate for our actors. We usually make a big pot of chili, too. Everyone pray for Indian Summer!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm worried too. The cold air doesn't bother me as much as the rain. Here it is the 13th day of October and it's rained 11 of the 13 days so far. LOL Seriously, the odds are against me now. I need it to clear up for the 23rd and 24th!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah out here in Jersey it went from Summer to Winter over the course of like 2 days a few weeks ago. Beginning of the week it was 80 and sunny, by that Wed it was 48 and windy.

Halloweens around here are always hot or cold. The last two Halloweens it was pretty mild, the year before that it was like 30 Degrees. I'm banking on another cold one.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I always count on Halloween being very cold and possibly rainy, then it can only get better from there. Last year it was beautiful here for the two weeks leading up to Halloween , then it rained

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I'm not worried about the cold but we have had rain for the last two weeks, which is very uncharacteristic for this part of Texas. If it doesn't let up, the rest of my display may have to wait for next year. :(

·
The Minister of Macabre
954 Posts
I have never seen such unusual weather here in Dallas, TX. I am loving the coolder Temps, but the rain has been outa-control! This has me very worried since Halloween is coming up so close and I still have much to do outside!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've been really lucky as far as rain is concerned. I've only been rained out once in ten years, but about five years ago, it was 19 degrees on Halloween night. The show went on as usual, but it was brutally cold!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah out here in Jersey it went from Summer to Winter over the course of like 2 days a few weeks ago. Beginning of the week it was 80 and sunny, by that Wed it was 48 and windy.

Halloweens around here are always hot or cold. The last two Halloweens it was pretty mild, the year before that it was like 30 Degrees. I'm banking on another cold one.
Bite your tongue! ;) I'm hoping for a warm one. I'm doing a movie outside for the kiddos. I have to agree with you, though...it seems like it might be chilly in Jersey.

·
The Black Unicorn
1,348 Posts
It's suppose to rain tonight and it rained yesterday so, I haven't finished putting out the props that are electronic, will wait until next week, my party is on 24th too. I have faith that next week will be better here!!!(Oh please, please) But for 10 years I have only had rain 1 time and that was in the weee hours of the morning after party. also have tried to water proof everthing and I look at it like all the creatures could use a good bath after being in storage all year..you know they hang out with vermits and all ....LOL...I 'm sure you all have found a nest or 2, my rat terrier loves it when we get the stuff out, boy is she on a hunting spree lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Its funny you say that, here in Las Vegas it went from summer to fall in the course of an evening, and now, two days after putting up my cobwebs for my giant black widow balcony, I've got wind, clouds and the possibility of rain tomorrow morning.... And rain is ever so rare out here.....
Most of my cobwebs blew down, but honestly, It looks better that way.... lol

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Are you sure you people dont live in the netherlands? WE are the ones who get all the rain! Well the UK gets their fair share as well :)
Up till about 2 weeks ago, the farmers were complaining about how dry it was. Not anymore!
But the next few days are supposed to be sunny again, if a bit cold!
We dont set anything out till the 31, but we put the tent up a few days ahead. After its set up, I worry and pray every night that it doesnt rain hard or storm!

MsM

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
It's p-o-u-r-ing here today and October is such a weird weather month. Never sure what you'll get on Halloween Night. I only set up that day, so what the weather is like pretty much determines what I end up putting out decoration wise. One year I was out setting up in the windy cold and ended up pretty sick for a couple of weeks. Not anxious to have that happen again. I hope the weather clears up and we have a nice night. I like to dress up and hang out outside on the porch and have fun with the ToTers, but if it's too cold I'll be waiting inside for the bell to ring.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I don't know HOW many people over the years have looked at our set-ups, how much work and preparations have bone into it and comment, "What if it rains?" Well, if you think like that, you shouldn't be a Haunter. In fact, if you think like that, you shouldn't do ANYTHING. My stock answer has always been, "Oh, it's GONNA rain. Cats and Dogs. Buckets." In 19 years of haunting we've been hit by rain twice. And that didn't do anything to diminish the crowds.

I always make sure our stuff is weather-proof. But don't sweat the elements, people, have fun. In fact, have a "Dark and Stormy Night" Sound Effects DVD stannding by to add to the ambience!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Wolfman, I guess rain (2 out of 19 times) isn't an issue for you in American Samoa generally. Guess you don't get cold weather either. But how have you been since the earthquake and tsunami? I saw that a shipment of huge generators arrived there today. I assume you have power since your on the computer.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't know HOW many people over the years have looked at our set-ups, how much work and preparations have bone into it and comment, "What if it rains?" Well, if you think like that, you shouldn't be a Haunter. In fact, if you think like that, you shouldn't do ANYTHING. My stock answer has always been, "Oh, it's GONNA rain. Cats and Dogs. Buckets." In 19 years of haunting we've been hit by rain twice. And that didn't do anything to diminish the crowds.

I always make sure our stuff is weather-proof. But don't sweat the elements, people, have fun. In fact, have a "Dark and Stormy Night" Sound Effects DVD stannding by to add to the ambience!
Wolfman, I gotta agree with ya. Hubby kept insisting I should wait to start setting up because of rain in the forecast. I told him that if I waited till there was no chance of rain, I'd be setting up in July! So I set up the cemetery and, yes, it rained! But it's all pretty much weather proof anyway. I am waiting for a few clear days to set up my props with paper mache heads and electric motors though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Us Californians worry more about the opposite issue. Will our displays be on fire?

I had a couple days of rain this week and my lawn and other plants are kind of grateful since I turned off their sprinklers a couple weeks ago to avoid destroying my handy work.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just woke up and guess what....it's raining AGAIN! Geez.... Wouldn't stress it so much if I didn't have so many people coming and a DJ that really needs to set up outside....not inside! LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts