1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the first finished project of mine for this year:

I have named him Jo-Jo.

Here he is in his cage:

Looks like I need to scrap off some of the paint on the front of the tank to make him more visible.

He will be used in the Alien room for my sons' Cub Scout pack's Haunted House fund raiser, which it looks like i get to head up again this year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife was greatly bothered by the lack of any obvious eyes. I figured that was a good thing and meant I was on the right track.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Very nice looking.... Are you going to have him moving in the tank? Another option would be to get a pump that you might be able to pulsate and have Jo-Jo spitting at the glass. Motion activate or floor pressure switch so when someone tries to get a closer look inside, Jo-Jo attacks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do plan to light it, just gotta pick up a bulb for the fixture. I am thinking of getting some green tinting to go above the tank, so the light in the cage will be green and more alien looking.

As of now I have no plans to make Jo-Jo move. I am just not mechanical, so my creations have always been static. That is one thing that always drives me crazy. i would love to make motorized props, but while I can very much imagine that kinds of things I would love to do, I just don't have the skills to do it.

And to give credit where credit is due, Jo-Jo was inspired by this Garage of Terror 2006

·
Registered
576 Posts
I feel the same way. I've wanted to motorize so much but really never knew how. It wasn't until I took a leap of faith and bought a rotesserie motor on eBay for $10. As I stood at my workbench staring at the motor, ideas on cams and levers started to come to me.

After MUCH trial and error, my motorized contraption started to take shape. It was a Christmas clockwork, btw.

So I say take the leap! Buy a wiper motor, rotesserie motor, anything! You'll surprise yourself what you can put together. :)

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
So I say take the leap! Buy a wiper motor, rotesserie motor, anything! You'll surprise yourself what you can put together. :)
And if you have questions, ask them on this forum. There are plenty of us here that will tyr and help answer your question.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
THat is going to be a great addition to your sons cub scout haunted house fundraiser. Great job!

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
I agree - maybe a little paint off the tank will make him more visible. I know he's supposed to be scary/creepy, but I think he's kind of cute :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jo-Jo's cage now has a working light in it, and it helps a lot. I have not been able to get a good picture to show this however.

In person you can see Jo-Jo's details just fine through his slime covered cage.

This is the best I was able to get. I was trying to cover the flash in this one and got the really nice red light effect. I think I will be using a red light on him in the Haunted House. I just love the way it looks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts