Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weather that we have been getting has been awful and I know the weather I have been getting in my neck of the woods is not nearly as bad as some of the weather other folks on the forum have been getting.

Last night's storm that rolled in un-expected had me in tears and ready to take everything down and sell it off. I had to run out last night in sideways rain and take down 2 of my witches and bring them in. One was being bent over backwards so far she looked like she was getting ready to limbo. Then I had to sit and watch helplessly as some of my bigger props that are not as easy to take down and bring in get whipped around ferociously.

It is heartbreaking seeing all your hard work looking like rag dolls being tossed about and there is nothing you can do until after the damage is done and the storm blows on out. Rain and snow I can deal with, but the wind is the hardest to build for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have my condolences. The weather has killed my desire to finish decorating and the upcoming weather looks downright miserable. I'm gonna end up putting it all up for very few I feel.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,792 Posts
I've been there. I live on the gulf coast, and hurricane season lasts through Halloween. I've had so many decorations ruined by wind/downpours. :(

I have a minimal setup with stuff that is easy to put up and take down now (mostly blowmolds/lights or my FCG inside in our front window). Still have the elaborate stuff, just haven't been feeling it since things got trashed several years back and it's nice to have an alternative for the "off" years.

So sorry you've had such a bad time and I hope your stuff isn't permanently ruined.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I understand completely, we've been there too many times. Don't get discouraged. Could you display some of your more fragile props inside a garage so they can still be enjoyed? I've also had to put some props just inside the front door so they are only visible when the door opens, or peeking out of a window. We put out our big animatronic props on the day of Halloween to avoid damage. I have to accept that where we live, the weather is rarely perfect on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Gweede, unfortunately I don't have a garage to put anything into. It would be awesome if I did. The majority of my props are too big or tall to bring inside the house. Low ceilings or narrow doors make that impossible. I haven't put my more fragile props out yet and in the past have not really had much issue with the wind affecting my props. One year I did have to bring my witches in a couple of times, but I had time to bring them in before the wind came up as it was in the forecast. This year the wind has come completely out of no where and is stronger than winds we have gotten in the past this time of year. Snow and rain are usually my biggest weather problems. This has just been a bad year for weather all over the country and apparently a bad year for accurate forecasts too. It has rained or snowed on days when it said it was going to be sunny and sunny on days when we were supposed to get snow or rain.

@TerriG, thanks, this has been a hard year all around

@Pablo0714, sorry to hear your weather is not looking so good for you as well. According to our forecasts we were supposed to have fairly decent weather. A few cooler days and some light rain or snow falls, nothing out of the ordinary. But the forecasts seem to be waaaaay off and un-ordinary weather has been blowing in unexpectedly.

@Frankie's Girl, I think most of the stuff is fixable barring any more damage. I will have to take down a few props to work on them after my hubby gets home and can help me and hope that I can get them back up this weekend. Un-fortunately repairs have to be done outside so will have to wait until weather improves.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the same feeling. We spend all year working on our props. I put my display out for the entire month of October. The last 2 years its poured all day on Halloween. I did put some props and lights in my garage last year but it was pointless because no one showed up! I said if it rains on Halloween this year I'm finished!

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have so much rain in the PNW that the only things I have out are skeletons and ghosts. We use the single car garage Halloween night and a 10x10 tent. We need a bigger garage.

204 Posts
Here is a suggestion for anyone who has to battle with Mother Nature, and her rain and her wind or her snow.
SNOW to me, would be the absolute worst, but I am sure that you could use the snow to your displays advantage, if you were to really plan with it in mind.
IF weather consisting WIND and RAIN, is wrecking your displays, I would guess......that your displays are not made or designed for your climate or for your weather.
We here in the Pacific Northwest are always faced with RAIN and WIND, so we just work with it.
Now, we just focus on doing a Cemetary each and every year.
We centre our Haunt around "FULL SIZE" 20 Wooden Toe Pincher Coffins and our Grave Yard Picket Fencing.
Nothing looks SPOOKIER than a Dark WET DAMP "Wind Torn" Grave Yard on any Halloween Night.
We have heavy Half Coffins as well, that stick out of the ground....and all you do is add Leaves .....Old Broken Branches....Skulls.....Lights .....Webs......Pumpkins every where and Lighting makes it all come together.
We gave up on the more delicate props and weather fragile things, as it is just not worth the risk or the expense or the hazzle.
Those types of decorations or props are only good for Indoor Haunts and Parties, or for a more SUNNY and WARM climate.
Having said that, Florida can also get HIT with Winds and Rain, so why take the chance for your Decorations?
The more RAIN and WIND BATTERED that any Grave Yard can get...the better that it is.
Trust me Folks, forget the Blow Ups .....for get the more Fragile props....and go with the Heavy Duty....Coffins and Fences.
They can all be built to take a part and stowed away easily.
Or....the Coffins make for great storage containers, once everything is said and done, and they stack very easily.
Make your Haunts Weather Proof!
Simple solution to your WIND and RAIN issues.
SNOW.....would be a little more challenging but not much!
Get rid of your Fragile things, or just use them indoors!

·
Registered
207 Posts
We have so much rain in the PNW that the only things I have out are skeletons and ghosts. We use the single car garage Halloween night and a 10x10 tent. We need a bigger garage.
That is interesting, the props I have had to pick up and put back into position most often have been the skeletons. My zombies have been true champs in this wind and rain, but the rebar that was supporting some skellies just sawed thru the earth (due to the gusting wind) and boom they went over.

It always feels a little embarrassing for me when stuff falls over. I think it's because doing this level of decorating is a little weird or "out there" ... so if you are going to be weird you better be really damn GOOD. And broken props say that I'm not good at this.

OTOH ... I do love making props and displaying them is an excuse to keep making them (or making them better). The weather is annoying and cruel at times (Nor'easters and hurricanes suck out loud). So I wrestle with the stress and angst and embarrassment as well as the enjoyable parts of figuring out how to attach pool noodle to plastic hands, or how to use liquid electrical tape for convincing fake blood.

Lotta words to say, This IS hard stuff. Getting frustrated makes sense.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Halloween in these parts is ify at best. Probably rain at night and very windy. As much as I always want to put stuff out early I do not. Late October weather always throws in a few storms. I either break my back on the day or I save a lot of work by waiting out a rain out. I simply will not put my stuff out early to be ruined. My hallowindow is enough early on to enjoy and let everyone know- the haunt is coming.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
I’m so sorry your spirits have been dashed! It’s been more than a decade since I frequented Halloween Forum. In my first years here - I was constantly inspired by the extraordinary creativity of the Forum members! (Shout out to so many including Tera (before she moved and graffitied her haunt, she taught us all the secret trick with rebar to keep headstones from flying in gale force wind. It worked!) and Frankie’s Girl (Hi FG - long time no scream!) who inspires with her style and savvy, spirited haunt ideas! Just to name two. My point is - year after year, our haunt grew and grew with more and more props, a growing yard set up, you get the picture! And as it grew - it became more vulnerable to the weather. So much so that we felt we had experienced every level of bad weather and (phew!) survived it all... until a few years ago... Ugh — the spirit dwindled as each Halloween was crushed by torrential downpour, yard flooding, weather craziness that punched us in the gut. So we took a BREAK! We kept things in storage. Put a pumpkin 🎃 in the window - threw up the inside projections on sheet covered windows and made the entryway spooky when the door opened - but that’s all. No spider on the roof, no Frankenstein lab in the shed, no haunted kiddie trail in our little backyard, no alien spaceship crashed in the graveyard, no horse and headless horseman, no hearse with skeleton horse and driver... not even the FCG. Our yard was shockingly BARE!! But WE WERE RELIEVED 😅!!
It gave us time to rethink what we enjoy most about a Halloween 👻 and we took some deep breaths about expectations - drank a glass of wine - and reveled in the holiday with no pressure! Mother Nature could sling her worst weather - but we were content!
Now - here comes THIS year. We have started to put a few things in the yard again. We have scaled back - but we have felt victorious in our adaptations to accommodate M. Nature. We may not get one single trick-or-treater this year and the weather may suck the life out of our traditional set-up, but we will be happy for Halloween - and find new ways to outsmart the weather gods while preserving our sanity as well as our love of All Hallows Eve!
Again — so sorry your spirit is dashed. It will rise again if you go easy on yourselves. I’ll send you a bottle of wine if it will help! BOO 👻!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
HauntedWyo, bad weather is almost as bad as a mild night for trick or treating, and only six kids show up. These kinds of things can really deflate all the fun and expectation you have assembling them. I decided this year I was only going to build for my own personal satisfaction, and ended up decorating inside my house on a grander scale than I had done before. If there's an opportunity for such an endeavor for your decor, I'd say try that instead and then host a small party of only closest friends to enjoy the indoor decor. I have several friends who are amazed that I take over my dining room and fill it with skeletons (I'm up to thirteen now!) They actually have spilled out into the foyer, and up on the railing of the stairs. So, best of luck, and try the indoor haunt if it's feasible, at least you will make yourself happy!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the same feeling. We spend all year working on our props. I put my display out for the entire month of October. The last 2 years its poured all day on Halloween. I did put some props and lights in my garage last year but it was pointless because no one showed up! I said if it rains on Halloween this year I'm finished!
I'm sorry you have had to deal with crappy weather as well. It's just deflating and gives ya a helpless feeling. Rain and snow I can contend with, the wind on the other hand is the demon of all demons. I thought I had built strong enough for the winds, well at least for the winds we normally get this time of year. This year the winds have just been completely out of the ordinary and coming out of no where. Normally I have time to prepare for and brace for predicted winds. I can bring in any props that may not fair well in high winds in time and add some extra bracing to the others if need be. But not this year. This year the weather has just been crazy. I believe someone somewhere on the forum recently said the weather this year is like a woman in menopause and boy were they right. I hope that it doesn't rain on you on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always wait until the day of to put everything out. If it is bad weather I forgo a lot of stuff but still do a garage haunt. It would kill me to see a prop I spent 30hrs on get ruined.
I wish I had a garage to do a garage haunt in. It would make things so much easier. I would wait until the day of to put things out, but my stuff is stored off sight and it takes me a couple of days to get it all up here to my place and I have to set it up as I get it up here as I have no place to store it until the day of. I also have to have the help of my hubby to get everything moved up here and to get it set up. He leaves for work before sun up and gets home just before sun down during the week. If the weather continues to get nasty or even nastier I will have no choice but to cut back on what I put out. It will be very disappointing not just for me, but for a big share of people in my community who have greatly appreciated my decor. It is very heartbreaking watching helplessly as your stuff gets tossed about.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love a garage, or even a carport that I could tent off. It would make things so much easier.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is interesting, the props I have had to pick up and put back into position most often have been the skeletons. My zombies have been true champs in this wind and rain, but the rebar that was supporting some skellies just sawed thru the earth (due to the gusting wind) and boom they went over.

It always feels a little embarrassing for me when stuff falls over. I think it's because doing this level of decorating is a little weird or "out there" ... so if you are going to be weird you better be really damn GOOD. And broken props say that I'm not good at this.

OTOH ... I do love making props and displaying them is an excuse to keep making them (or making them better). The weather is annoying and cruel at times (Nor'easters and hurricanes suck out loud). So I wrestle with the stress and angst and embarrassment as well as the enjoyable parts of figuring out how to attach pool noodle to plastic hands, or how to use liquid electrical tape for convincing fake blood.

Lotta words to say, This IS hard stuff. Getting frustrated makes sense.
I feel ya. It is embarrassing going out in the morning or even in the middle of the night to rescue props or pick up damaged props. I am about the only one in my community that does a big display so I am the "out there" one. I work extra hard making my props look as good as I can because folks from all over town come out of their way to see my yard. I've had pics. of my display sent to people half way around the world because the picture takers were so impressed they had to share with friends and family in their home countries.

It is very frustrating to say the least. There are big learning curves with every prop build. Trying to figure out how to make them withstand the weather is all trial and error. In the meantime it is heartbreaking when you watch something you built fail and you have no time to make changes or improve. I just want to get through this year with what I have and spend next year re-building or improving.

I love building and creating things. It is therapeutic. I am in my own little world when I am building. I enjoy the oos and awes from those who come and see my builds. I feel like I have accomplished something that will make memories and bring pleasure to others.

I hope weather improves in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We had a nasty day last Friday. Heavy rains, some wind. Took everything down and finally got it back up on Sunday just in time to get rained on again. It was nice today but this is the only day that’s supposed to be like that for the next week. My work is directly tied to the weather and this just means several props won’t get finished in time.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a suggestion for anyone who has to battle with Mother Nature, and her rain and her wind or her snow.
SNOW to me, would be the absolute worst, but I am sure that you could use the snow to your displays advantage, if you were to really plan with it in mind.
IF weather consisting WIND and RAIN, is wrecking your displays, I would guess......that your displays are not made or designed for your climate or for your weather.
We here in the Pacific Northwest are always faced with RAIN and WIND, so we just work with it.
Now, we just focus on doing a Cemetary each and every year.
We centre our Haunt around "FULL SIZE" 20 Wooden Toe Pincher Coffins and our Grave Yard Picket Fencing.
Nothing looks SPOOKIER than a Dark WET DAMP "Wind Torn" Grave Yard on any Halloween Night.
We have heavy Half Coffins as well, that stick out of the ground....and all you do is add Leaves .....Old Broken Branches....Skulls.....Lights .....Webs......Pumpkins every where and Lighting makes it all come together.
We gave up on the more delicate props and weather fragile things, as it is just not worth the risk or the expense or the hazzle.
Those types of decorations or props are only good for Indoor Haunts and Parties, or for a more SUNNY and WARM climate.
Having said that, Florida can also get HIT with Winds and Rain, so why take the chance for your Decorations?
The more RAIN and WIND BATTERED that any Grave Yard can get...the better that it is.
Trust me Folks, forget the Blow Ups .....for get the more Fragile props....and go with the Heavy Duty....Coffins and Fences.
They can all be built to take a part and stowed away easily.
Or....the Coffins make for great storage containers, once everything is said and done, and they stack very easily.
Make your Haunts Weather Proof!
Simple solution to your WIND and RAIN issues.
SNOW.....would be a little more challenging but not much!
Get rid of your Fragile things, or just use them indoors!
I may just go with doing a cemetery from here on out if I can't figure out a better way of building some of my props to with stand the winds.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts