Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep watching this thread because in about 2 months I'll start listing my Halloween stuff. I have TONS! I have some of the original Gemmy props (first generation) and lots of animatronics. I will also be listing all of my Creature Reacher costumes (I have 5 or 6) and loads of scary masks (some are Don Post).

You guys will get first dibs and then I'll list the rest on Craig's List. (Don't look for me on Ebay though 'cause they take too big of a bite these days!)

I have a HUGE collection to unload and will get back to you. :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sorry to hear that....I've got a feeling there's going to be quite a few threads with that title this year unfortunately....I just found out Friday I'm losing my job June 5th last day after over 13 years of service but even though I'm the only bread winner in the family, I'm going to subbornly hold on to the props until unemployment runs out and I've cashed out my 401k,etc.....Let's be honest....I don't think anyone is going to get NEAR what they paid for this stuff especially in these times...I'm not selling for pennies on the dollar....It's just not worth losing all of it for the little bit I'd get in return........Anyway, I hope this isn't the reason for letting your stuff go and I wish you Good Luck in getting a fair price!....ZR

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
I know Southern Belle has a vey nice collection of stuff from past photos she's posted. It's tough to see haunt stuff go up for sale due to the economy, but it's a sign of the times for some. I'm changing up my haunt, de-cluttering, and re-working a few scenes, so have put small things up for sale that don't fit in any longer. As mentioned, you won't get anywhere near what you have in it, but sometimes you take the loss and move on. The only redeeming factor is if the stuff goes to another haunter to be enjoyed as it should.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to hear that....I've got a feeling there's going to be quite a few threads with that title this year unfortunately....I just found out Friday I'm losing my job June 5th last day after over 13 years of service but even though I'm the only bread winner in the family, I'm going to subbornly hold on to the props until unemployment runs out and I've cashed out my 401k,etc.....Let's be honest....I don't think anyone is going to get NEAR what they paid for this stuff especially in these times...I'm not selling for pennies on the dollar....It's just not worth losing all of it for the little bit I'd get in return........Anyway, I hope this isn't the reason for letting your stuff go and I wish you Good Luck in getting a fair price!....ZR
Well here's showing you some love from SoCal and hope you bounce back and find a job quickly. We've all been in this crunch . It takes to long to collect a great haunt, and even longer to start all over. Best of luck to you.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Id be very interested Southernbelle and Im not sure why you are selling everything but I certainly hope its not due to the fact anyone in your household lost their job:( Id be interested in your Gemmy props, please let me know which ones you might be willing to part with. I understand you have some really great things and I would much rather help out a fellow forum member than buy from someone I dont even know on Ebay:) Ill keep looking for your sale.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I cant feel excited to see what you are selling, I just feel sad that you have to part with your haunt. I could never do it. I wish you all the best and hope everything works out for you.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah, it's not because of the economy, it's because it is just soooo much work. (As I'm sure all of you home haunters already know.)

If I could leave it up for more than just one night, I'd never part with it. But we plan and build for about 2-3 months prior and then spend 2 days putting everything up and building the haunt rooms, only to have it run for about 5 hours on the big night. I've never been rained out but I think if it happened, I'd kill myself! lol! (I'm just kidding about that part.)

So many people volunteer to be actors in our haunt but as soon as the TOT'rs are gone, so are the actors. Then we spend the next 3 hours bringing everything into the garage and the house and then I (yes, just me, by myself), spend the next 2 weeks sorting everything and labeling boxes.

See what I mean? I'm almost 42 and feel every minute of it ... and then some. lol!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey SB, I usually just linger on this site and check out the posts because it puts me in a positive mood looking forward to Halloween. There is a lot of negative crap happening in this world.... gas was 2. 70 today.... wth!
Anyway, I have been looking at your stash and kind of feel guilty because I want some of it! This may be out of line... but what about the people who look forward to what you do and the feeling you get for doing it? I am the local "Halloween guy" and if I didnt do my haunt, nobody would have any where to go, and nobody could replace my haunt and the work that goes into it. My wife and I just had our third child and I will be 40 October 16, I know how you feel! As I linger on this site I see more and more people dropping off!
I just want you to know, I am guessing people really appreciate what you do and I hope you reconsider your choice.
I know it is extremely hard work, and you probably cant think of anyone who would be crazy enough to take your place.
You have been on the site for a long time, it would be a shame to lose you!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yeah, I definitely hear that!....I decided a couple months ago that it makes sense to dedicate my one building as the walk through and just leaving everything up year round for many reasons including exactly what you describe....I've got everything scattered in several places in storage so it would actually free all that up if it was set up already in that one location.....I could then see exactly what I have and could get rid of all the stuff that just sits around that isn't going to be used....The building is dark even in the day time with the doors shut so I could see how things are coming along as I work on it anytime of day simply by shutting the doors.....I'm going to do blacklights throughout mounted to the ceiling and just mist everything with flourescent paint that I want to show up classic darkride style....I've got enough pneumatic stuff to do 6 scare zones so I'll be able to mount all that stuff permanent too....At first I couldn't justify dedicating a whole building for 1 night but it dawned on me one day that it's so much more to me than just one night...It's 1 night for EVERYONE ELSE.....To me though, I'm constantly building props, trying new things like a fog chiller 2 weeks ago, basically LIVING Halloween all year and I ENJOY CREATING THIS STUFF which is a whole different reason completely when you think about it....I don't think alot of people put the liesure value they get out of building this stuff which is something no one but us Halloweenies can understand....Creating Halloween props is a whole hobby in itself that can be enjoyed WHENEVER ANYTIME OF YEAR....Having a building already set up where all you do is flip on some switches, turn the sound effects on and put some ice in the bucket leaving you to concentrate on the party itself and the end of the night consists of turning everything off and locking the door seemed like the right solution to me....It will sure help enjoy the big night instead of thinking about the dread of tear down in the back of my mind all evening....ZR

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.... but what about the people who look forward to what you do and the feeling you get for doing it? I am the local "Halloween guy" and if I didnt do my haunt, nobody would have any where to go, and nobody could replace my haunt and the work that goes into it. My wife and I just had our third child and I will be 40 October 16, I know how you feel! As I linger on this site I see more and more people dropping off!
I just want you to know, I am guessing people really appreciate what you do and I hope you reconsider your choice.
I know it is extremely hard work, and you probably cant think of anyone who would be crazy enough to take your place.
You have been on the site for a long time, it would be a shame to lose you!
Yep, I'm that "crazy Halloween lady" on 62nd Street! lol I was at a kid's b-day party about 2 months ago and some moms were talking about Halloween costumes and then they started talking about this one house they went to last year in my area and after they started describing it, it hit me ... that's MY house! They couldn't believe it was me; thought for sure it had to belong to some old crazy man or something. Heard alot of compliments that day and some of the kids were asking about this upcoming Halloween so of course, I do feel guilty.

But hey, they will be old and tired someday, too. lol!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I have heard of a couple people doing what you are intending to do. I just hope that you have a minor change of heart and try to do a scaled down version. I think this kind of stuff means a lot to people.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Oh and if you quit completely prepare yourself for Halloween night. We stopped doing our haunt after we had done it of 6 years. The first Halloween we didn't have it so many people came to the door and were really bummed, some of the kids were actually kind of sad. Then five years later when we resumed doing a haunt and people still remembered specific things we had done five or more years ago. Hopefully your stuff will find a new home in your area so that it can still be apart of the community.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Crazy Halloween Lady!!! LOL Ive been called exactly that!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts