Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do much more lurking than posting as I don't have too much to offer as I'm very new to the haunting scene.
Thank you to everyone that has shared great tips & tricks. I've learned a lot.

I picked up a couple of packages of curtains from IKEA that are on sale for $3.99. Each package has 2 panels. Each panel is 98" x 110". (roughly 8' x 9') They are shear, very similar to tule fabric. They are white, but I'm going to attempt to dye one set black and the second set will be "aged" with tea/coffee.

They could also used to make ghosts.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90111980/

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
That's a nice price for such a large span of fabric. Great idea for anyone needing a tall ghost figure. We use to live closer to an Ikea than we do now so I,kind of forget about them. Just the other day I saw someone post something about maybe tealights there. I'll have to give them a look.

I will say I have to wonder about dying polyester though. I know you wouldn't have a problem with a cotton sheer but not sure about a nylon. Double check the dye package for suitable fabrics before trying. The only time I seem to recall affecting polyester is staining a favorite polyester-based top with a salad dressing oil. That kind of stain never seems to come out for me! But I'm not a laundry expert by any sense.

Hey, Welcome to the Lighter Darkside by the way. Nice you came out of lurking. It's always nice to see a new name on discussion threads...even if its just to comment, make a suggestion or ask a question. All part of sharing. Do you decorate outside, inside or both? Hope to see you around the forum.

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Corby. This is a really great price, especially since each pkg has 2 panels in it. That would make fantastic ghost material or even cool effects for draping if you dragged it in the dirt for a bit and tattered the edges (for that nice cemetery finish, LOL!) Great find and thanks for sharing! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to "age" the white polyester drapes by soaking overnight in tea. Going to try RIT Black this weekend on a 2nd set. The directions on RIT mentions it is not recommended for polyester, but test a small swatch first. As long as the drapes don't melt, they should come out looking something other than white. Even if they are grey, it will be better than white for the wall I'm covering. (The wall is 8' high, 18' long) The tea stained drapes will be used to cover furniture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts