Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever had one of those years? I am having a horrible year. Horrible. To add to the joy, I now have 3 speeding tickets within the past 3 months, including 2 this week.

I went from age 17 to age 27 without having a speeding ticket. Then I got two in a matter of weeks. I went from age 27 to 32 without a problem and now have 3 within a few months. Each time, I literally have been driving in traffic, yet my pickup truck seems to be defying time and space and going faster than others.

Anyone have any luck beating a ticket? He showed no mercy tonight. I wonder if calling him at work and pleading my case for alternative punishment to save insurance might work?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm also having a bad year. I just resigned from a boring job because of bad management. Now, I'm working as a writer. It's great, but it's tiring because i need to drive for an hour to go to work. The distance is really killing me. I hope that i could rest for a week.

If that would be granted, I would definitely go someplace where I can rest my head, feel the wind on my face, and just reflect about the future. :):mad::D:cool::eek:

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Anyone have any luck beating a ticket?
Well, yeah...cleavage..if that doesn't work...hmm..I don't know, it's never gotten past that part. Honestly though, plead not guilty and get to court early. If the officer is there, go over and talk to him. Unless he is really out to get you or you were going ridiculously fast, they usually will let you get it down to a failure to obey a sign or smaller fine/point ticket. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
It's a trick. Get an axe.
2,323 Posts
What have you done, Wilbret?? Why is karma beating up on you?? That SUCKS, man, but SURELY your luck will turn around soon, it's got to! You've put in more than your fair share of taking some setbacks this year without deserving them...I don't see why your pickup truck would even stand out that much in traffic with all the other speed demons flying by, and I KNOW they are plentiful down there! :eek: Good grief, I've driven 95 on I-75 through Atlanta plenty of times just to keep from being run over...

Tips for getting out of a ticket...sorry, man. It would help if you were a girl like nyhaunter said, OR if a girl cop was the one that pulled you over. Bet you'd get out of that one. :) He could've made a mistake with his radar and pinned someone else's speeding on you. I've used, 'I'm running late for class,' 'I was trying to get to a gas station because my car's on empty,' (yeah, nevermind that I was using more gas to drive that fast..:rolleyes:)--let's see, what else....I've also just said that I knew I was speeding and it still worked...the only time it didn't was when my husband was in the car with me and argued the fact that we were speeding with the cop. ;-)

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Go to court (don't just pay) -- more often than folks would like to admit, the cops don't show up...so you win. If he does show, ask about driving school as an alternative. Would be easier if you didn't already have other recent tickets.

The argument that you were just keeping up with traffic doesn't seem to hold much with judges, even though of course if we DON'T do that, we end up being scraped off the pavement. That said...I have heard of it working...once.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
In the last year I've lost my wife, our son has joined the Navy, and I found out I have cancer. I've had to do chemotherapy for the last six months. I've lost over $35,000 (so far) due to the market crash.

Speeding tickets? My heart bleeds for you.

I'll trade ya.

·
Banned
535 Posts
I agree with lurks in the shadows. You just got a few tickets show up at court and pay the fines not a big deal at all. Things might seem like why me WHY! but like lurks in the shadows mentioned there is a lot of things that are way worse then trying to tell the judge why you were speeding. Ill give ya a tip though try and reschedule the court date so the officer isnt available to testify against you which will most likely not work he aint playing that game but sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I still say you need to pay the fine and put it behind ya and dont do it again.

In the last year I've lost my wife, our son has joined the Navy, and I found out I have cancer. I've had to do chemotherapy for the last six months. I've lost over $35,000 (so far) due to the market crash.

Speeding tickets? My heart bleeds for you.

I'll trade ya.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lurks, I feel for your situation, but why do you feel the need to come in here and post that?

You don't know the full picture. The tickets are just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bad luck is going around. We've had three bad years now. Every time I think things are getting better the rug gets pulled out from under us. Again. I constantly feel like I'm getting kicked in face. Things have got to change, bad luck can't last forever can it? It seems everyone I know has had a rotten couple of years.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Wilbret, since you didn't go into any details other than your speeding tickets, it really looked as if you're world was in turmoil over nothing.
I posted what I did, because you asked if anyone has had one of those years, and frankly, I still think I'd be happier if we could trade. Not that I wish my misery on anyone else. They're my problems, I'll deal with them.

Please don't take any of this as a personal attack, I would have said the same no matter who wrote the original posting. (After my chemo I'm pretty sick and in a fair amount of pain. It tends to make me a bit cranky.)

I honestly hope things get better for you. Hell, I hope things get better for all of us sorry SoBs!

I also only mentioned the icing. A few months back I was arrested and held over night because I look like some guy who shot at a convenience store clerk. It took about 20 hours for them to figure out it wasn't me, and they still won't reimburse the towing and storage fees from when they took my car.
My medical insurance co. isn't paying for what they are supposed to, and this is rapidly driving me toward bankruptcy.
That and the stock market, I lost another $4,736 just yesterday!
There's more, but I really don't feel comfortable posting them on a public forum.

I guess I just wanted to throw a little perspective out there.
I have a very close friend who has a genetic disorder that causes fibrous tumors to grow on his spine. So far no brain tumors, but one day there will be. He'll be in a wheelchair in a year or two, by the time he's my age he'll most likely be bed-ridden.
The bad news is that his 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with the same thing last year. She'll be crippled by graduation, and the docs don't expect her to see 30.

It's all in how you look at it. I'll live through my cancer, and the loss of my family. I'll have to rebuild my life. So I will.
You'll get through your troubles too.

When it seems like it's getting to be too much, I think about Ken and what it must take for him to face each day. It kinda makes my problems seem a bit easier to handle.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the follow up.

I plan on having a huge New Year's Party where we will shove 2008 to the curb.

My son was born this year, the one positive thing. Other than that, 2008 and 2007 can kiss my arse.

I'm waiting to see how insurance rates go up after the tickets, further putting our budget into the red. We have nothing left to give up, except maybe electricity. ;-)

We are livin' and breathin', so I guess that's all that counts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, you bet!

Life may really suck at times and it could sometimes slap you in the face with its ironies. All we need to do is move along with it and enjoy the ride. Life is just one big spectrum that stretches from the good to the bad. Let's just deal with the bad things because we don't have control of them most of the time.

Don't fret. Life will get better soon. :D

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
"2008 and 2007 can kiss my arse."

I hear ya bro, amen to that!

I just checked my retirement fund... It looks like I need to call it something else now, there's no way I can retire on whats left. Hell, that'll probably be gone by dinner time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts