Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people use the teal pumpkin to indicate a haunt is food allergy friendly. Is there anything similar to indicate a haunt is appropriate for 'all ages'? No jump scares, no gore/body parts, and so on? We do a pretty elaborate setup which is spooky, but there's nothing really scary. It's a castle with crypt and graveyard kinda thing, with fog, lighting effects to create deep shadows, and spooky music.

We've had toddlers come up for candy with no problems (and teens scare themselves silly), but occasionally I'll hear people say it looks too scary and they pass us by. It would be great if there was a way to indicate that the haunt is suitable for everyone...

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
Interesting question.
We too are family-friendly. I've never thought about how to identify it. Although, right up front we're heavy on blowmolds and inflatables, so that speaks for itself. Also, we are in a small town, so everyone knows what we are all about.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but am interested in seeing what other ideas you get!
Keep up the good work. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
What may be and look non-scary to one person might terrify the next person (or small child ) you can really try to be as non-scary as possible, and it still will be scary to some kids, especially the nervous ones.
Here at Ravens Grin we have never had gory displays, never had a gory show or a show with the more common scares. we really try to mix it up here with most people maybe twitching, jumping, yelling when we scare them, then laughing. Maybe laughing because the scare stops , not continuing or" ramps up "but rather exposing the startling, terrifying thing for what it really is and was , a simple everyday item or something just very silly, that we presented in a way as to build the anticipation.
How to operate a "Kid Friendly Haunt?"
We pay attention to who we are selling the tickets to. We ask them what they need or want (or can tolerate?)
Then we stick to our promise once they are inside the house.
Of course such a Program" can also be subverted by a "Loose Cannon" employee who would risk being kicked out, unemployed, if ONLY they could get to terrorize a small child. (Which will always be the Parent's "job".)
If or when a child gets scared (really scared and upset) my Wife is very good with such children, she always seems to know how to say and how to distract them from the" terror".
The absolutely BEST way to make a potentially frightened young one "Happy Again", is to make them a part of the "Show", setting them up to be able to safely scare their own family members.
I realize almost every suggestion I have placed here does take more "Time" to do, you would be communicating with the Parents and Children much more than a normal Haunt who just takes the ticket money then chases everyone through as fast as is possible.
We do always suggest that the nervous ones be brought here during daylight hours or at least before 9Pm in-season. (We are open here every night of the year)
Just tonight as my Wife met a local woman while getting a pop at the local Tavern, the woman said that she is sacred to death of this house , of course she has never been through it but she would really love a tour of it, with me just telling her the house's" Haunted History".
I have done special request tours for many people, why would I , as the owner have a problem just doing what a paying customer says that they want?
Can any haunted house just ignore any percentage of their potential patrons? I sure don't want to do such a thing.
Making "Kids" "Happy" also makes the Parents "Happy", and Happy kids want to come back again, and they do! Some come back for Years, and eventually bring their own kids! build your business by making your patrons "Happy".
A genuine "Laugh" caries more "Currency" than being terrorized, at least that has been my experience.
So many people tell me they will never go back to a "Haunted House", because they were terrorized when they were there and did not enjoy it at all.
This house can be very basically scary to many people for many good reasons , so we work to make it more "Friendly".

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
^yeah^ I loved most "scary" things when I was young (Halloween decorations, courage the cowardly dog,crime shows,etc.) Yet I was terrified of chip bags. That uncanny valley cutesy Halloween decorations could scare the crap out of some kids. I have a yard haunt with "scary" decorations, but the only decorations that actually scare kids are the jump scare props

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I know some people use the teal pumpkin to indicate a haunt is food allergy friendly. Is there anything similar to indicate a haunt is appropriate for 'all ages'? No jump scares, no gore/body parts, and so on? We do a pretty elaborate setup which is spooky, but there's nothing really scary. It's a castle with crypt and graveyard kinda thing, with fog, lighting effects to create deep shadows, and spooky music.

We've had toddlers come up for candy with no problems (and teens scare themselves silly), but occasionally I'll hear people say it looks too scary and they pass us by. It would be great if there was a way to indicate that the haunt is suitable for everyone...
You answered your own question...the ToTers will judge themselves.

Heck, if I was out ToTing and saw a sign that said "kid friendly haunt" I would probably skip it unless I knew you were handing out the type of candy that I want

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts

Caveat: I'm in costume out front managing a queue line.

I get a this every year. Too scared looking at me/the front yard to think about going in.

I have two tricks that work 90% of the time.

#1: Play along with the kid, think they ARE whatever their costume is. This is to break the ice, and get them to approach ME for part 2. Act scared of the monsters, ask Elsa not to freeze you, ask insert Avenger here for autograph, etc.

#2: Once you've opened that dialog with the nervous little one, introduce the magic glow stick. (or ring, or whatever you want to use) I tell them to hold it up REALLY HIGH, and it will keep all monsters away. Actors we have are trained to play the part and act afraid of such glow sticks as well. There's nothing more funny than watching that nervous 5 year old baby step his way with a glow stick as high as he can get it. Many of the scared ones will come back out the exit asking to go fight the monsters again.

There's always going to be that one kid that just starts screaming and throws the glow stick back in your face though, convinced it's somehow tied to the evil.

Ironically, it's usually the scared teens that can't be convinced to go in. Too old/cool to buy into the glow stick, and too scared.

Can't win em all.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Please, Mister, I don't like scary things.'
"Yes, would you please not scare my child? I can't come in because I get scared very easily, myself."

Later: "Thank you, I hope that you had a good time.'
That kid:"That wasn't scary, you couldn't Scare ME!"

"Just a second Kidd-o, come right back here, we have some things to show you.''

"No! It's OK, mister!"

He takes two steps away from me.

"Hey everybody! I wasn't even scared inside there!"

"Come here, we aren't done with you."

"WHAAA!" (In front of kids near his own age )

Some times this is how it happens..........

Reactions: UnOrthodOx
1 - 8 of 8 Posts