Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing YouTube as always looking for ideas and ran across this video from Cirque du Soleil. You have to watch it to see what i mean when i say How can we use quadcopters in our yard haunt?!?

its hauntingly Beautiful ( is that even a word lol) anyway after watching it i saw that they had a behind the scenes video!

After watching that the wheels started turning and all these ideas started to creep out! attaching props to quadcoperts and have them flying around your yard how cool is that! gone are the days of the flying ghost on a fishing line! If the quadcopter can hold it up it can fly!
i know you can program them so wouldn't it be fun to program dancing ghost in a grave yard! have a giant fly or spider or whatever creature you come up with swoop down on your victims! let the fun begin!

·
Registered
683 Posts
There are youtube videos where they mask quads with ghost costumes or flying demons but the problem I have is that there's a lot of risk that you'll be needlessly taking especially with children in very close proximity. Not to be a wet blanket about this but there are still issues with battery life (what if it suddenly dies mid flight), safety (those blades are pretty sharp) and of course weather variances (one gust is all it takes).

If you could have the quad somehow tethered to a pole (ie mount a ring on the inside and let the drone fly up or down only but never side to side- the ring is wrapped around the pole) then it might be possible to achieve a similar effect as the video. The quad just won't fly around but up and down may be all you need it to do.

These are some of the things to consider but if you plan it with multiple safeties in place, I don't see why having a drone prop wouldn't be a great addition to anyone's haunt setup.

Victor

BTW- I own a drone myself- a V262, but has rarely flown it. Too windy in my area sadly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have always wanted to explore using such a vehicle to enhance my yard haunt. For me it comes down to the time investment, I don't have the manpower to apply to a drone. Not sure if it can be done or how hard it would be, but if I could set it on a pattern and then leave it.... Basically like an axworthy...I can see many cool things I would want to with in that arena.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
They are still relatively expensive, although I can see the potential for a haunt prop. A flying ghost or ghoul of some kind. As previously stated, I would be seriously concerned over the safety aspect. Having one of those things flying into a ToT would end the fun right then and there. Perhaps some sort of isolated area, behind a fence, where you could have one or more of them rise up from behind some tombstones or something, perform some swoops and dives close to, but not over, your audience. Just some ideas that popped into my already cluttered head. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
While a great video and concept, to be used in a yard haunt, I don't think it would be feasible. To many variables to have just right for stable flight. I have a couple RC helicopters and quads (smallish quads), and they require constant input. In a theater the conditions are controlled, so stabile flight is easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My friend has a new DJI Phantom 2 and he is dying to film my display this year. I will certainly post it when we're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts