Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Obssessed Haunter
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know that this should go in the props section, but since it will probably end in me building a prop or 2...... guess this is as good a place as any !!!

We are nearing the ending of our haunt. We have a general idea on something we could do but I don't know the particulars.

The last area is a fairly large room... we think we want to build a wall across the room with 3 doors in it. When people walk into this room they will face these 3 doors (choices). We are considering a game show type of idea. Maybe like lets make- a- deal. I have a mixer that we can have someone dress somehow with a micorphone.....

Thats about it..... thats all I have.....
We could give the people a choice to choose door numbers ? Or just anounce the numbers ? Have some type of scene in each door?

Maybe just open a door and let them enter..... make it so they return to this 'game show' area....then have to try again ???

Just have something in the doors to startle them ?...

I would like something really unexpected..... I know... asking a lot!
Our haunt is gear a little more towards the adult patrons... we do have children go through but we do let them know that its scary.

Thanks for any ideas! We struggle with this every year! Usually end up with something that we incorporate the chainsaw into..... This year we are NOT using the chainsaw at the end!!!!! SO.......

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Have one door be the exit.

Have one of the doors be a static prop... like a skelly hanging with a strobe light or something.

Have the third door be an actor that has something like a chainsaw or something (or just be really good at screaming and jumping out when the door is opened).

The cool thing would be to SWITCH it up - where door 1 is the exit, 2 is the prop and 3 is the actor... for about 30 minutes. Then shift over the skelly to one of the other doors, and the exit re-routed to where the actor was and the actor be where the exit was. If you can make a section of wall really easy to reset, it would be easy to keep doing this all night.

It will catch those folks coming through a second time thinking "Dude, the guy's behind THAT door - let's go with this one!" :D

Registered
Have an actor be in the crowd. Do some sort of "volunteer to go through a door first" thing... as just your actor walks in the door, have another actor grab him or do something no one would expect (since you can't grab people). Then, like Frankie's Girl said, switch it up... have a 'scene' in one and one be the exit.
Even make the one where the actor gets grabbed (or tackled or picked up) be the exit.

Registered
The tweens at my haunted house party last year said the Michael Myers at the end was really scary. I just had an actor with a Myers mask on stand near the exit. The whole room was lit in blacklight, so the mask kind of glowed. The kids had to pass by him to get out. My actor never did anything or said anything. It's scarier than you'd imagine!

will rest in peace.....
I'd reccomend the three doors then the host (actor) asks the guests which door they want. The host can then yell out left, right, or middle and behind the wall, the actor can get ready to be behind that door. The guests open the door, get scared then go through another door to the exit.

Undead Handyman
I went to a haunted magic show in Maui last year that used a similar scenario to get into the dinner part of the show. The guests were given a large skeleton key and were lead into a room with five doors, and a disembodied voice read us a series of questions which eventually lead us to the bookshelf. One book had a keyhole along the spine. Putting the key into the book triggered a magnetic lock and one of the five doors opened. All good fun, but might be a bit pricey to replicate for a haunt.

sasquatch
Micheal is not scary. put Jason Voorhees in there. When the door opens the cha-cha-cha-ha-ha-ha-ka-ka-ka sound could come up. Jason grabs the ringer and do him in grusomely. the other doors could be a dead end with rats and a hanging bucky. The third is the exit. I love the idea of switching up what door is the exit each time. Use a roll away box for Jason and the dead end so the props can be switched up. The Jason actor needs to be big and intimidating but never speak.

Obssessed Haunter
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We actually have a Jason costume, a Michael costume, a Saw constume, a Freddy costume and a pinhead costume.... So we can use however many of these.. So that works great... We just have to come up with 'how to work all this'. Thought about maybe having a wheel they spin with the numbers 1,2,3..... Then depending on the number it lands on that will be the door that opens. I just am having an issue with how to make this 'scary' ! It can be fun, but ulitmately scary.

Registered
I like DeadTed's idea. Have your planted actor go through door X, then use forced perspective or a mirror to make it look like your actor has been reduced to chunks by giant rotating blades or some such. Launching some ground actor bits (some bits of sponge spray painted red and sightly wet) back into the room and a really nasty sound effect would take this right over the top.

After that make one of the doors sort of comic relief - your guy with the chainsaw sitting there reading small engine repair for dummies and yelling about it being his day off for one door and the exit behind the other.

Registered
Those doors remind me of Dark Shadows. Angelique created a 'dream curse' to be spread. It went thru the household and was tranfered by touching a person. They tried to stay awake as long as they could, but after falling asleep they had the worst dream of their lives.
In the dream they went thru a door that closed/locked behind them. They were faced w/at least 3 doors in front of them. They had to open each door to try to get out of the dream. Behind the first door was a scary skeleton, then a horrid bat, then the flames of hell I think. There were other things behind the door as well. They then touched another person who would then have the same dream but their were more doors to open.

You could put a human in costume or static prop w/music behind each door so that it played when someone opened it. The prop or person could pop out at them and scare them. You could have one door be the exit.

Registered
have only 2 doors. make one door all bloody and rusted looking and nasty, a general bad looking door. make the second door look perfectly normal. behind the nasty door is the exit and a scare, behind the good clean door is something to make them pee in their pants.

people tend to be more scared of something the bigger it gets. how bout a clown on stilts and dress the room up like a circus tent full of tall skinny clowns and short fat clowns and dead clown bodies...
i was a clown last year with a decapitated head that it held. the shoulders actually rested above my head and it looked like the clown was holding his own head...great effect to the point people almost peed on themselves when i walked up

sasquatch
giving the door creepy numbers would be a nice touch as Jess-o-lanturn said. make the thing creepy. A game show spinning wheel make make things a little too fun. I also like the idea of the ghoul reading a manuel on chainsaw repair though. Clowns scare the !!$##[email protected]$ out of me so any clown deal would scare me.

Obssessed Haunter
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had clowns one year and it did scare people....
I want to put the numbers on the doors to looks scary... Hadnt thought about the numbers them selves being scary like 13, 666, 1408 ( although clue me in.... 1408 whats the significance??? ) I'm missing it.

Obssessed Haunter
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the idea of a 'good' door and a 'bad' door. But should we have the exit through the good door or the bad door ? They would probably think that it was too obvious that the exit was through the good door so they would probably pick the bad door ?? OR........ hehe I can see where this is going. I like the idea of trying to move whats behind the door according to which door they choose. The first door is ALWAYS the scary door. The second door would always be the way out. No matter which door they choose. Then if someone comes through again they would pick the way out first and still get the SCARE !

But................... what kind of big scare? Like I said..... usually we have a chainsaw at the end. This really does scare the crap out them, but I really want something different. but it needs to be a big scare. We have a few other good scares and I don't want them to top the ending. I have this trouble every year ! Sorry to pick your brains !! hehe

We may have to have a 'plant' in the groups???

Registered
1408 was from the movie 1408. It was about a haunted hotel room were the guests always went crazy and killed themselves

1 - 18 of 18 Posts