Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ardmore-20131128-00029.jpg

This is my first year to decorate my own place and I need some ideas. This is the outside. What would you do with it? We also own the lot next door that has lots of trees and is about 5 foot lower than our house. We probably won't do anything there yet. But, the front yard needs some help. The driveway is to the far left and is very long.

I am thinking a cemetery for sure. Other ideas?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Funny my first thought was what I could do with that tree. Probably because I'm so envious. I so wish I had a big old tree in my yard to hang things from.That carport and mulched area by your windows have a lot of potential too.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
texaslucky, I was not paying attention to the threads or the poster and just clicked on this. I was startled to see the pic and recognize it. I knew you were on the computer today while you were here, but you didn't tell me you posted the photo!!! Yes, use the windows and the double carport. Maybe next year you can have a walkthrough in the carport. As I have said before, I would love to have the yard and the empty lot which I would make into a big cemetery.

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
The weather in my part of the world has been crappy the last two years on TOT night. Never underestimate the HUGE advantage that carport might be to you if it rains. I wish I had an area like that to retreat to and still hand out candy in bad weather. Not to mention saving your props from damage. You have a great yard and a lot of potential. Don't forget to post pics of what you end up doing with it. :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Lots of potential! I'm trying to guess where you plan to hand out candy from. I agree that using the car port as a scene would be great. Maybe use that as your candy area. Enclose it with black tarps and use blacklight for a ghostly scene or make it a witch shack. The lawn space with the tree would be a nice cemetery. The TOT's have to walk up the drive past the graveyard towards the car port, whch is going to get them nervous to begin with. Can't tell how big the yard is but you have time to construct a basic cemetery fence to enclose the space and keep the kids off the grass. The side driveway could also be used, as could the small garden area where the two wings of the house intersect.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
my neighbor across the streetused to do part of her yard,we do ours big also...one year she went to one of the graveyards and they collected the old dried funeral wreaths and stands for her, she got them to come out and put up one of the grave tents and her husband made a coffin, they put in a dog toy that jumped around to make noise in the coffin and she set up all the weaths...........it was so simple and great, you could put up a 10x10 pop up tent amd on the pad and set up your graveyard by it in the yard and do something like that............make a coffin out of foam board, paint it, very easy to do...........get canned light holders and put in colored bulbs and throw your lighting where you need it, do a ice fogger...all again easy. once you start your haunt you will build off it from year to year and so it starts.....lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I love, love, love that layout!! Couple of suggestions, if you like lights, make sure you hang a lot of them from the tree. Or, hang lots of "stuff" (ghosts, bats, spiders, skels, etc.) in the tree and use spots to emphasize. If you have a projector, you've got the perfect screen under the eaves in the front to show movies. I like the silent horror films and the TOTers do too! A cemetery on the front lawn would be great. Especially if you have or can make a pop-up or breathing grave. Or, I've seen some gorgeous yards with corn shaucks and lights. Very dramatic.

For the carport, how about a séance scene? You can hang some colorful sheets around to enclose the sides and set up a crystal ball or yard globe and tell fortunes. Or, if you have a skeleton or other body hanging around, you can set the scene using her. Colorful hippie-looking clothes and a long curly wig with a turban will do the trick.

Whatever you decide, please post pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts