Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a skeletal helmsman prop with a wiper motor that I'd like to place in an area subjected to the elements.

What is a good way to protect the wiper motor from water intrusion while still allowing it to move?
(Dean from MonsterGuts says everything above the black cylinder, including the terminals and shaft, must be protected.)

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
They are pretty water tight on their own. They are wiper motors after all:D The spot that I sealed up on mine is where the power plug would normally go. I solder the wires directly to the terminals, and dripped hot wax into the opening till it was sealed. You could also use silicone caulk, but that could shrink.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What we do with automotive conditions like what your asking, if the plug is broken on the other end or connecter is to take clear silicone and pack it into the cavity after you wired it up. Acts like a water tight seal or a make shift plug. I would also use a bead around the housing as well. Note this is not submersable but will allow for a little rain to hit it.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
Since there are no moving parts over the motor you could use the plastic box idea and just drill a hole the size of the shaft and slide it through. I tend to agree that if the wiring is sealed there shouldn't be too much of a problem but this would just give you some more insurance. The prop looks great by the way. :) My only suggestion would be for him to be taller. A simple solution would be to cut some of the bones and add PVC or dowel sections to lengthen the bones then paint them to match or cover them with cloths.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Get a tupperware type container or knock offplace the motor inside with a hole just big enough for the shaft and another hole for the cord use a rubber grommet/donut for the cord hole and maybe one for the shaft hole use srink tubing over the connectors and keep the motor a couple of inches off the bottom so if any water does get in the motor isn't sitting in water.and put a couple of small holes in the bottom to drain. and duct tape up the case too.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll try to create a housing with a plastic box while leaving a hole on the side for the shaft and on the bottom for the cord.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts