Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ive decided to do a cornstalk and scarecrow theme this year. My question is what is the best way to anchor a scarecrow post in my front yard (thinking of using 4x4's). Dont want to use concrete. Does anyone have any experience with this and could you please give me any tips you might have?

And what is the forums experience using cornstalks as a yard decoration: Do they become brittle and fall apart over the haunting season? maybe there is a way to extend their form longer? is there a best way to make your yard look like a cornfield? any critters i need to worry about? etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
In the past I used very strong Garden Stakes. You can also use large strong garden Shepherd Hooks. Both can be purchased at Home depot, etc.

The biggest problem I have with corn is "Wind". So make sure you corn is bundled tightly

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Scarecrows:

I usually drive a rebar post to tie the 2x4 to.

Corn...

I think the best corn maze I've seen done is by jdubbya. I can't find the link right now, but essentially you stand pallets up and shove the corn down the center of the pallets. Ends up looking like a fence with a corn field behind it. But, it's really more of a walk through illusion.

If you're looking for more a display, individual corn stalks don't hold up well, you're going to have to bundle. And, as I do every time this comes up, I'd actually suggest using reed grass instead of/along with corn stalks. It makes good sheaths, holds up generally better than corn, and is free if you have it near your place. Considered a weed/invasive species in most states, you can usually find it along farm ditches.

Corn on the right, reed grass center.

I generally mix them about, but you can see how rough the corn can get by end of the month.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know this sounds goofy, but last year I did a quick and dirty ‘scare-crone’ -on a ruined patio umbrella in a big cast iron base with a couple cinderblocks set on it. I wrapped the pole with orange lights then bundled a huge shock of cornstalks around the pole to camouflage it. (It came out looking kinda like I was burning the poor thing at the stake, but it wasn’t awful. 😂)

For my ‘wall of corn’ behind it, I just set out 10 foot picket panels (zip tied to rebar edit) and lashed bundles of three or four cornstalks to every other picket. (We’re lucky to have a neighbor who can’t live without his fresh sweet corn so we have pretty unlimited access to stalks free for the taking this time of year. If you’re paying for them, that might not be the best idea.)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Rebar is probably going to be you best bet to hold up your scarecrow.

I saw one time where someone had made a fence of sorts to hold up their corn stalks. Basically you make the frame work for a picket fence but you don't add the pickets. Use a couple of 2"x4"s as your posts and then you can either string 3 horizontal rows of tie wire from post to post or use some 1"x2"s or a combination of both. Then you make the corn stalks as the pickets. Placing the stalks fairly close together you wire or tie them to the tie wire or 1"x2"s. You will want the top horizontal row to be about a foot to a foot and half shorter than the corn stalks and you will want the bottom horizontal row to be about a foot from the ground. Place the middle horizontal row halfway between the top and bottom rows.

To keep the "fence" panels standing you can use rebar and attach each post to the rebar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rebar is probably going to be you best bet to hold up your scarecrow.

I saw one time where someone had made a fence of sorts to hold up their corn stalks. Basically you make the frame work for a picket fence but you don't add the pickets. Use a couple of 2"x4"s as your posts and then you can either string 3 horizontal rows of tie wire from post to post or use some 1"x2"s or a combination of both. Then you make the corn stalks as the pickets. Placing the stalks fairly close together you wire or tie them to the tie wire or 1"x2"s. You will want the top horizontal row to be about a foot to a foot and half shorter than the corn stalks and you will want the bottom horizontal row to be about a foot from the ground. Place the middle horizontal row halfway between the top and bottom rows.

To keep the "fence" panels standing you can use rebar and attach each post to the rebar.
This is similar to what was my initial plan. Difference is i would just stick rebar on the outside of each row. Then place pvc over the rebar and run the wires through pre-drilled holes. Attaching a bundle of stalk to each level of wiring

I appreciate all the info as i now know that these stalks are not meant to display solo and need to be bunched. Good info to have to decide on how many i will need.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've just zip tied each stalk along my fence, for that "row of corn" look. Worked out well, even when beaten by the weather and turned into a cat toy. The tops will most likely bend, but that's normal/inevitable. It does take a LOT of stalks to get coverage, though - and homegrown tend to be smaller (height and diameter) than the ones you can buy (probably a varietal difference). Mine were out for a week, week and a half? In wind and rain, and held up fine. Beware of corn left on the stalk, that will draw animals and also potentially give you unexpected corn stalks growing in your yard the next year.

I'm switching my corn field and graveyard around this year, so I won't have the fence. I'm planning on using a combination of 4' green garden stakes, maybe some pvc pipe structure, and my plastic Halloween fence to hopefully keep everything upright.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
533 Posts
I use these green sign posts for the corn. Pound them into the ground and slide the corn over top of the post. I use jute cord to wrap up the entire corn bundle. Also, very important.......remove the corn before you put the stalks out! If not animals will tear it to bits.
I've used these fence T-posts for fencing, props and other items. very sturdy, and have the advantage of hooks and holes in them you can use to attach things.

·
533 Posts
Where can you even find corn stalks? I live in Dallas and I have no clue where to look. Any ideas?
Not sure where you can find them around Dallas, but I live in Indiana, I can't go anywhere without running into them! Do you have any local farms or Farm markets?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live just outside Chicago so cornfields are within driving distance i.e. Indiana and Illinois.
Not sure where you can find them around Dallas, but I live in Indiana, I can't go anywhere without running into them! Do you have any local farms or Farm markets?
I live just outside Chicago; was quoted 3 bundles of 7-10 stalks for 10 bucks. Do you think that is a good price?

·
533 Posts
Hello, ive decided to do a cornstalk and scarecrow theme this year. My question is what is the best way to anchor a scarecrow post in my front yard (thinking of using 4x4's). Dont want to use concrete. Does anyone have any experience with this and could you please give me any tips you might have?

And what is the forums experience using cornstalks as a yard decoration: Do they become brittle and fall apart over the haunting season? maybe there is a way to extend their form longer? is there a best way to make your yard look like a cornfield? any critters i need to worry about? etc...

Thanks
My Scarecrow in the past was mounted on a 2x2 hammered into the ground, with another 2x2 cross member for the arms. Trick is to have a 2'-3' post you use to make the hole, and then drop in your actual post. His body was actually old tomato cages covered in burlap. Had a small round plywood base on top to place the real pumpkin head on. This is from back in 2013.

Time and weather have taken its toll on my wooden structures, I'm starting to use more PVC to be more weather resistant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had a scarecrow in my yard for the past 5 years and the wood I use fairly thick posts. How I secure it is I dig a hole with a post digger about 18 inches and then I buy a short section of PVC that is larger than the post 4"-5" diameter and place that in the hole. It shores up the side and keeps the scarecrow from moving or falling over. I keep the grass plug and place it back in the hole after I take it down.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I put up corn stalks, I put them around a 3/4 inch length of pvc. I put a hole in the ground with a pin and then lightly tap the pvc into the hole with about 4.5 feet or so still above ground. I spray paint the pvc a cornstalk color. I then surround the pvc with the cornstalks. It give them extra support and you cant tell that there is anything supporting them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In the past I used very strong Garden Stakes. You can also use large strong garden Shepherd Hooks. Both can be purchased at Home depot, etc.

The biggest problem I have with corn is "Wind". So make sure you corn is bundled tightly
Corn stalks are pretty sturdy, they can take the weather. I found like the poster above me said. Shepherd hooks work great . mine are still out from holding the summer flower baskets . Jam them in the ground where u want and tie your stalks snuggly around the hooks. I tie mine first with twine and then put big bows on the ones near the door, i usually put a few small pumpkins, and a couple pots of different colored mums ( so cheap ) . Happy fall, Halloween decorating!!! 🎃

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have had a scarecrow in my yard for the past 5 years and the wood I use fairly thick posts. How I secure it is I dig a hole with a post digger about 18 inches and then I buy a short section of PVC that is larger than the post 4"-5" diameter and place that in the hole. It shores up the side and keeps the scarecrow from moving or falling over. I keep the grass plug and place it back in the hole after I take it down. View attachment 721730
Great job on the scarecrow🎃

·
533 Posts
When I put up corn stalks, I put them around a 3/4 inch length of pvc. I put a hole in the ground with a pin and then lightly tap the pvc into the hole with about 4.5 feet or so still above ground. I spray paint the pvc a cornstalk color. I then surround the pvc with the cornstalks. It give them extra support and you cant tell that there is anything supporting them.
I like the idea of the painted PVC post in the center. If you use a slightly larger PVC you could drop it right over the T-Post and it would stand up pretty well. Smaller PVC would fit over rebar hammered in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts