Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, in a fit of I don't know what, I bought a bunch of plastic jack o'lantern pails for a buck apiece because I was inspired by this:

outdoor-halloween-decorations-pumpkin-arch_f7886f7c4d0e3f254d54fbe15bd7fe51_3x2.jpg

and this:

Then I was thinking I would rig them with a string of lights and hang them in my big maple tree out front, but I don't want it to look cheesy. I'm thinking about painting them, but I'm wondering how well they'd light with a coat of paint. Any thoughts?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hi Helena..

Check this out..May be something along the lines of what you're looking for.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-crafts/86912-bank-pumpkin-pails.html

If you were to paint them, I would think a thinned down acrylic would work ok. you don't want it too thick or you will make them too opaque and the light won't shine through sufficiently. Also, I would airbrush them if you have access to such a tool or the light shining through will accentuate the inevitable brush marks, no matter how careful your brushwork.

If they are plastic, which I assume they are, and you do decide to airbrush with acrylics you will need to wash them in detergent before painting, to remove any oils from the mould release. Apply light coats gradually, drying between coats with a hairdryer set on low, until you get the translucence and colour you are seeking.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i collect the orange pumpkin pails from garage sales. I put them in with real pumpkins for my "pumpkin patch" and i also have some of those that have the lights in them and put those in too. I also throw the top part of a solar light in them. And when they start to fade, i spray paint the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Recently, in a fit of I don't know what, I bought a bunch of plastic jack o'lantern pails for a buck apiece because I was inspired by this:

View attachment 178396

and this:

Then I was thinking I would rig them with a string of lights and hang them in my big maple tree out front, but I don't want it to look cheesy. I'm thinking about painting them, but I'm wondering how well they'd light with a coat of paint. Any thoughts?
Yep! Please go to youtube "Mad Mad Mark 1959" Look for "Yard haunt tour" (night version)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts