Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've started building my maze for this years Halloween (yes I know, I start a bit later than most of you).
I'm really keen to have a moving wall in my maze as the area I have to work with is only very small, and a moving wall will help make the maze longer.

Requirements:
  • Wall needs to rotate 90 degree's quickly(less than about 2 seconds from end to end), smoothly and quietly.
  • Need to be able to trigger it with a button (I've got plenty of Arduino experience so not too worried about the programming side of it)
  • Needs to be cheap but reliable.
  • Can't use compressed air (I don't own a compressor yet).

I've already got a few ideas in my head but I'm just looking for suggestions on how others would do the same thing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does it need to rotate both ways in 2 seconds or less? or just one way? What about using a pulley system where you have rope/cord attached to both sides and routed through pulleys to a controlled location. From there you pull one rope to move it one way, pull the other rope to move it back. Or you could attach a weight to one of said ropes, pull the other rope until the weight is raised and wall in position 1. Then tie a quick release knot to something with the rope. When the time comes, pull the rope so the quick release knot comes undone and the weight pulls the wall to position 2. For safety reasons you may not want it to be motorized because if someone happens to be in the way, the motor would continue to push the wall until it reaches it's stopping point and could hurt the person or damage the motor/drive system. Manually controlled, you could stop it if someone gets in the way and you don't have to worry about it breaking down mid night and having to shut down while it's repaired (if it can even be repaired quickly).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically needs to be able to rotate in either direction to (lets call them Position A and Position B) in roughly that amount of time (a few more seconds wouldn't hurt, but the quicker the better).
My door is going to be constructed of PVC pipe and black builders film so it shouldn't be heavy enough to need the sort of power that could hurt someone. At the moment, I'm thinking two standard size RC servo's linked together, controlled by an Arduino to swap between the two positions when "triggered" by me pushing the button will probably do the trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts