Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea on how we can make a few indoor graves to go on the bandstage? One of our coordinators wants to just get some potting soil and dump it on the floor to make the mounds, but I think this will be WAY too messy afterwards to clean up.

I'm thinking about some sort of cut in half cylinders for the actual mound then possibly using some sort of adhesive to sprinkle the dirt on, but other then this, I'm at a total loss.

Has anyone made indoor graves or have suggestions for what we can do?

Many thinks in advance.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,867 Posts
I just realized that this is for an event in Houston! Cool! (that's where am ;) )

I found this tutorial, but it looks like the pics have all been moved. They were quite nice, tho.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/61441-fresh-graves.html

I would think for even easier graves, you could get some burlap material, use black spray paint to lightly texture it (just spray unevenly to get a more earthy look) and then drape it over something (all I can think of is pillows right now) to get the general outline of a fresh grave. Some spanish moss glued along the edges would look pretty good.

You could get some of the cheapy vines and twine them over the grave and up the tombstone (any cheapy tombstone can be glued to a flat piece of cardboard that will let it stand up).

Most of these things can be found at the dollar stores or fabric stores. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just a quick thought. I you have some room then make them out of foam. Carve a couple into a mound, spray with adheasive and put on dirt or just spray with some gravel paint. Then you could glue on a headstone at the top also so people would see it. Drape some vines over the headstone. Then the foam is just laying on the stage, easy to move around and easily disapposable afterwards if you don't want to take it with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beach Towles. Spread the dirt on those. Then when ready to move just grab four ends and lift. Saw something like this on the monster list of projects.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Use brown towels and fabric stiffener. Soak the towels in "Stiffy", then place over pillows in garbage bags. form any lumps and bumps you want and make sure that they touch the ground on all sides. Allow to dry.

Glue on some leaves and maybe a couple of pieces of gravel (or that gum that looks like stones...can't remember the name of it right now. it comes in a little bag). You can also glue some of the craft moss around the outer edges where ite meets the ground and maybe a couple pieces here and there on top for where the top layer is actually turned right side up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've used peat moss just spread on the floor then cleaned up with a wet/dry vac. Really does clean up easily and quickly. Or maybe spray glue dirt down onto a black plywood board.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I made some indoor graves for my little sister's Halloween party several years back. Quick and dirty tutorial: I used burlap [but any brown-ish cloth can work], bark chips, paint, duct tape, cardboard, spray adhesive, and twine plus weird odds and ends as details. The base is made by taping flat pieces of cardboard together to make a roughly 2'x6' rectangle. Punch holes along each of the long sides--4 works well [that's 8 total]. Run twine from the hole on one side to the hole on the other. Pull until the cardboard starts to bow. Cut cloth to cover cardboard base--make sure to give a couple extra inches on each side. Spray cardboard with adhesive and attach cloth. Paint random blotches on the cloth--I used an ugly green and cheap black. Spray more adhesive on cloth and glue done bark chips. Complete coverage isn't necessary or desirable. Glue whatever additional items you want to add--leaves, moss, paper mache or styrofoam rocks, emerging bodyparts [usually hands, feet or heads], bones--whatever. Put tombstone at head. Don't let any one step on them--they crush pretty easily. They look best in low lighting and are disposable if you use the cheapest materials. I think I actually only bought a roll of tape--everything else was scavenged from various sources. I found big cardboard boxes behind an appliance store, used burlap coffee bags for the cloth [my cousin worked for a coffee roaster], the twine was left over pieces of clothes line and a couple sections were actually speaker wire pulled from the trash, paint was left over from other projects as was the spray adhesive, but I used wood glue to finish up when I ran out of spray adhesive, and the bark chips were left over from my sister's gardening projects. The odds and ends were exactly that--whatever came to hand that was fast, cheap and easy. I think some of the "moss" might have been sawdust mixed liberally with green paint and globbed on in a thick paste. I know some of the autumn leaves were real and others were raffia and artificials "liberated" from a martha stewart type wreath on the front door. My sister made cardboard tombstones. Overall it worked, though I am really glad nobody thought to snap and pics==I'd be embarassed to show that half-a**ed work now. If I were to do it again I'd use stuffed trash bags under the cloth, not let my sister make tombstones, and I'd take more time to do the whole project. I think we spent an hour or less to make 5 graves and a lot of that time was running around looking for materials.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts