Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my first big Halloween bash this year and I'm so excited! We have 3 boys ages 15,13, and 9 and have decided to make it a family friendly party. I'm going with the "haunted hotel" theme and have already started collecting things, so I think I've got that part under control. My biggest concern is making something that is truly fun for both adults and kids. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Many of us do have family friendly parties. Search through the forum for ideas. I know there are several doing the haunted hotel this year and there were also several last year.

If you have specific questions, just ask here and someone will chip in. Are you needing food ideas, game ideas, décor, what exactly?

Welcome to the forum. Most are already into builds and plans for this year (and some a year ahead). Spend some time just looking through the threads and searching. There is a wealth of info and photos.

WELCOME!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,102 Posts
Depends how many guests you are having, serving dinner or just casual? I have similar age sons and even though you are not having a pirate theme, you can switch up alot in this thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/70185-pirate-theme-party-need-game-ideas.html

Also there is a general thread :
http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/64040-adult-halloween-party-games.html?highlight=movie+poster+game

Heres my scavenger hunt clues on this thread: You have to be extremely organized to do this one, I had about 80 kids, and knew where all the first clues were and the subsequent clues. I had everyone on different teams (8 i think) and each team had a diff name, they all had same clues, but were finding them at different sequence so they wouldnt all be piled up in the same area at same time.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-recipes/113482-scary-tales-scavenger-hunt.html

·
Registered
369 Posts
Depends how many guests you are having, serving dinner or just casual? I have similar age sons and even though you are not having a pirate theme, you can switch up alot in this thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/70185-pirate-theme-party-need-game-ideas.html

Also there is a general thread :
http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/64040-adult-halloween-party-games.html?highlight=movie+poster+game

Heres my scavenger hunt clues on this thread: You have to be extremely organized to do this one, I had about 80 kids, and knew where all the first clues were and the subsequent clues. I had everyone on different teams (8 i think) and each team had a diff name, they all had same clues, but were finding them at different sequence so they wouldnt all be piled up in the same area at same time.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-recipes/113482-scary-tales-scavenger-hunt.html
A scavenger hunt sounds cool! *writes idea down*.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback! I love the idea of a scavenger hunt. Each family could work together as a team and I think it's something everyone could enjoy!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The winking murder game would work well...

or you could give everyone 5 paper keys (to go with your hotel theme) when they get to the party and they could earn more keys throughout the night (or find some) and who ever has the most keys at a certain time wins a prize?

welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
We had a Halloween party when I was a kid. My dad did this fake seance thing. Well little did we know, my aunt was in on it. She worked at an eye doctor and got a pair of those weird contacts, it made her eyes white. She came in during the middle of it and scared the crap out of the neighbor kid. You don't have to be that extreme, but a more friendly one could be fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm sending a key as part of my invitations and I was already thinking of incorporating them somehow. Just maybe a door prize or something if we draw your "room number". Pretty sure we will do a costume contest.

Prizes are something else that's proving to be a challenging. I guess have specific adult and child prizes? And maybe some family friendly ones like movie passes or something?

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
This will be our 8th Halloween party. They have always been family oriented and have always been successes and people look forward to it every year. I was already asked back in May if we are still having one. lol

We always have a costume contest. There are bag toss boards set up. Mine are Halloween themed so it works. :) We have done different games from year to year. Just do some searches and you can find lots of ideas. We always have music playing in the background outside. 2 firepits going, where everyone seems to gather. I have some books that have "friendly" campfire stories so we always have a story time. Everyone gathers around for this. It's when the s'mores are made and the families get to enjoy each others company as one big group. If the weather is less than desirable I always have some sort of Halloween movie playing inside. Our house is always decorated so the mood is set.

For food we provide a couple of the main items and beverages. We started asking for covered dishes, Halloween themed of course, and offer a prize for the spookiest dish.

Since this is your first Halloween party let me offer this, if things don't go exactly how you envision them don't let it discourage you from having future ones. We've seen so many first timers post that they were so disappointed on how things turned out that they don't have any more. If not all your guests show up, even if they rsvp, don't sweat it. It happens to us all. If something goes wrong or doesn't turn out like you wanted, guess what, it happens to us all. Have a guest that you realize was a mistake? Yep, we've all been there. Just don't invite them again. It's all a learning experience. Be excited, do what you can, take notes, and just enjoy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shadowbat, thanks for your reply! You gave me a lot of great advice! We will definitely have a fire and some stuff outside if the weather permits!

·
Registered
573 Posts
This will be our 8th Halloween party. They have always been family oriented and have always been successes and people look forward to it every year. I was already asked back in May if we are still having one. lol

We always have a costume contest. There are bag toss boards set up. Mine are Halloween themed so it works. :) We have done different games from year to year. Just do some searches and you can find lots of ideas. We always have music playing in the background outside. 2 firepits going, where everyone seems to gather. I have some books that have "friendly" campfire stories so we always have a story time. Everyone gathers around for this. It's when the s'mores are made and the families get to enjoy each others company as one big group. If the weather is less than desirable I always have some sort of Halloween movie playing inside. Our house is always decorated so the mood is set.

For food we provide a couple of the main items and beverages. We started asking for covered dishes, Halloween themed of course, and offer a prize for the spookiest dish.

Since this is your first Halloween party let me offer this, if things don't go exactly how you envision them don't let it discourage you from having future ones. We've seen so many first timers post that they were so disappointed on how things turned out that they don't have any more. If not all your guests show up, even if they rsvp, don't sweat it. It happens to us all. If something goes wrong or doesn't turn out like you wanted, guess what, it happens to us all. Have a guest that you realize was a mistake? Yep, we've all been there. Just don't invite them again. It's all a learning experience. Be excited, do what you can, take notes, and just enjoy it.
There is some very good advice for you here. My first Halloween party I had had 3 people show up!!! That was it, I now have an average of 20 people show up and people are always asking me what's going to be new this year. I started out making all the food myself but that gets expensive quick. Now I ask half of my guests to bring a side dish and half of them to bring dessert (we had basically everyone bring dessert one year). The giving a prize for the spookiest food is a great idea that I will use next year. :) I always hope/plan for outdoor activities but we usually end up inside due to weather (that's a mixed blessing because as much as I want to do stuff outside its kinda nice that's it's been so cold, I can put all of the cold beverages out in the screened in porch and they stay cold and we don't have to make room in the fridge). Another tip is if you can find invites now (check places like party city) get them, fill out and address them. That way when your ready to send them out you have them all set to go and you can go back to party preparations. ;)

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,102 Posts
Another big tip I have for you: if you can, take several days off from work before the party and have everything decorated, food that you can make in advance, chairs, etc. That way the day of the party, you can spend time on your costume, your makeup, your kids costumes etc. I truly enjoyed my gathering last year like this. Totally relaxed!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I usually get the day before, day of and day after off work for my party. I wish I could take more time off work but no such luck. I do write out what needs cleaned on what days and what needs put out day off and make as much food as early as possible. I also have family and a few select friends help with last minute things (my sisters get to invite friends of their own that way lol). If you want to use plastic/paper plates for your party now is the time to get them, stores like party city get tons of colors in for all the graduation parties and the left overs tend to go on sale right around this time. I'm lucky enough to have a school in the area whose colors are orange and black so I get all the plates cups silver napkins etc now in the colors I want. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I definitely plan to take at least the Friday before the party off work! Thanks for the tip about the plates, etc. I'll have to check out our Party City.

I've already started picking up some things at Goodwill and our Peddlers Malls. I've even "transformed" a few already! I'll have to post pictures! I lucked out and got an old 40's style telephone on Ebay for $2!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts