Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I really need your help! My HR manager and I were talking and we decided we wanted to try to do a haunt in the training room. The space is tiny (the room is about 20ft x 20ft), and there are a ton of things we have to work around like a wall of computers and a wall of cabinets and stuff, plus a massive table in the middle of the room we may not be able to remove (but hopefully we can at least push it up against the wall). The actual working/free space is probably going to be about 17ft x 16ft with hopes of working in the things along the outer edges like the computers.
I will try to upload a sketch of the space soon, but I wanted to get the ball rolling now with ideas.
My main problem is that I've never had to create in a space for workplace. I work for a major home improvement store which means I pretty much have everything I need already! I've already got the idea okayed by our LP/Safety manager, although I'm sure he hasn't thought through all the potential hazards like the possible usage of highly flammable black plastic. Of course, they know that I know what I'm doing (or they at least think I know what I'm doing...), so I guess they probably trust me...
Right now we only plan on doing one day (on the Saturday before Halloween, she tried to make it Halloween... lol) so it has to be set up fairly quickly, and it doesn't have to last long. We haven't picked a theme yet.
So some questions for everyone:
What problems have you run into when trying to plan/build a haunt in a public space?
How did you build temporary walls?
How did you handle making the most out of a tiny space?

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are many more qualified people on this forum than I, but I like to work with lighting and using the ceiling to hang props in a small space.

·
The Haunting Girl
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many more qualified people on this forum than I, but I like to work with lighting and using the ceiling to hang props in a small space.
I've been thinking that, but I'm concerned about the height of the ceiling since it is a bit low. It is also a drop ceiling so anything we hang has to be light weight.

With those dimensions, sounds like you might only have room for a "U" shaped walkway
Yes, this is very true. Thankfully the door is to one side of the room and not in the middle. That gives us a bit of room to work with in terms of transforming the space and getting people mentally away from the store.

I should have time today to take more measurements, and really look at what we could possibly do now that we have the okay from LP and the management. I honestly didn't even really want to get that into until I knew it we could actually do it. The funny part is that our LP actually volunteered to work in the haunt!

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Wall of computers and cabinets you say?

Big Table you say?

20' by 20' you say?

Congratulations, You have a laboratory!

Is this just something for customers to see all month, or is there going to be actors or something in there a specific event?

Not really a traditional walkthrough, but what I did with similar space (and only an hour prep time):

·
The Haunting Girl
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wall of computers and cabinets you say?

Big Table you say?

20' by 20' you say?

Congratulations, You have a laboratory!

Is this just something for customers to see all month, or is there going to be actors or something in there a specific event?

Not really a traditional walkthrough, but what I did with similar space (and only an hour prep time):
Very nice! The lab is a great idea!

We were hoping to do some kinda of small walkthrough haunt. It would only be for the employees and their families since there are too many liability issues with customers. It would only run for one day, maybe two. We haven't figured out much beyond that yet.

1,309 Posts
We've done a scare in a 12X12 pop up and a theater lobby that was 10x 20. At the theater we had to work around lots of doors, a concession stand window and a wall of with a LONG shelf on it. I found scaling props down helped a lot. Since most folks won't notice the depth of the props keeping the height is great but making it thinner allowed us to have the most floor space. Our monster mud creature had a flat back to be right up against the wall, not more then a few inches deep except for his "slightly" extended arms. We did an endless hallway prop it was barely 6 inches deep. Flat scene setters, cardboard cutouts, painted scenes on weed block fabric work well. Light weight nets ( get them now at the DT in the Luau section) and dyed, torn cheesecloth for creepy factors when hung from the ceiling add to the creep factor. Sheer curtains hung, using of all things office clips, work great to camo things you don't want seen. I clip an office clip to the fabric, scene setter, or whatever to a rod (as in the poles in a pop up tent) or as in your case the drop down ceiling panel frames. Or I can use the clip handles to slip over a small hook, nail or tack set in the wall or ceiling. OHHH and bubble wrap we did a space ship motif in the lobby for a show and green LEDs behind bubble wrap was very cool looking... would be a great idea for a lab scene.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just did a garage haunt last year and used this set up. Everyone seems to enjoy it. The kids want to do it again this year, so that's a good sign.
There are pics in my 2014 Album if you want more details.

·
The Haunting Girl
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My HR & LP really liked the lab idea. So now we've picked our theme which is a morgue/mad scientist's lab. The plan has extended to include the small hallway and the HR office for decorating and the actual haunt in the training room. They still want to do some kind of walkthrough so we're planning on trying split the training room into two smaller rooms with the front side being the morgue and the back side as the hidden lab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts