Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jokingly told my kids years ago that a witch came to haunt our house for Halloween and they believed me so I ran with it. Now every October, our witch "Hazel" comes and haunts our house for the month--doing something for them each week of October. My kids love it and talk about Hazel all year long. As my kids have gotten older (10, 9, and 6), I have to up my game to keep the magic real. I am having a total loss of what to do this year and was hoping you guys could help. Here are things Hazel has done in the past:

--made creepy halloween meals
--left various gross/real looking sweet treats
--left halloween shirts, socks, books, etc
--invited her witch friends to our house who left their hats floating (hanging from the ceiling) all over the house
--cast a spell on our house releasing hundreds of ghosts in our house (I got a spinning ghost light bulb from lowes that projects spinning ghost shadows inside as well as an outside ghost projector)

I would love to really knock it out of the park this year as I think it will be the last year my older 2 believe. I am up for including pranks as well, just can't come up with any. I like to make anything she brings/does more realistic/creepy rather than cartoonish. I am fine with store bought or homemade ideas--just want something with that 'wow' factor to make it magical. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We’ve done slime, but my kids still love it so I can incorporate it into something again this year. Here is an example of one thing I did. Also made black spaghetti using squid ink die and made the meatballs look like eyeballs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What a cute and fun idea! I wish I had thought of something like that when my daughter was small.

How about:

• leaving a cute Halloween themed plush, blanket, pillow or case on each of their beds
  • changing the shower curtain (if you have one) to a Halloween themed one and replacing the hand soap with Halloween themed soap
  • replace all the cereals with Halloween themed ones like Count Chocula, Booberry, etc or leave Halloween themed donuts out for breakfast one morning, use food coloring to change the color of the milk in the carton (maybe purple?)
  • Maybe leave a clue or note out each week that leads up to one big surprise, like a new Halloween blowup or a box full of treats (small toys and candy, etc)

·
Registered
153 Posts
So this is the most amazing thing! I love it!

Has Hazel ever brought Halloween books? Might be fun to do a spell book outside on one for older kids and read together?
Could you record a voice for hazel or find a witch recording to play? If you did the first one maybe you could have her yell their names from another person as she departs on her broom?
I’ll keep thinking. This is too fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a cute and fun idea! I wish I had thought of something like that when my daughter was small.

How about:

• leaving a cute Halloween themed plush, blanket, pillow or case on each of their beds
  • changing the shower curtain (if you have one) to a Halloween themed one and replacing the hand soap with Halloween themed soap
  • replace all the cereals with Halloween themed ones like Count Chocula, Booberry, etc or leave Halloween themed donuts out for breakfast one morning, use food coloring to change the color of the milk in the carton (maybe purple?)
  • Maybe leave a clue or note out each week that leads up to one big surprise, like a new Halloween blowup or a box full of treats (toys and small candy, etc)
Thanks for the ideas! I have been thinking of doing a scavenger hunt and just making it last for the whole month--leaving clues every few days...just have to work out the logistics of it. We've done the donuts and different colored milk. I like the idea of the shower curtain--on amazon now :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is the most amazing thing! I love it!

Has Hazel ever brought Halloween books? Might be fun to do a spell book outside on one for older kids and read together?
Could you record a voice for hazel or find a witch recording to play? If you did the first one maybe you could have her yell their names from another person as she departs on her broom?
I’ll keep thinking. This is too fun!
We've done books several years in a row. Every October, I put away most of our regular books and replace them with a bin of our Halloween books. (I do this at Christmas too.) I never thought of the voice recording--that is a great idea. My brother is an audio engineer and I'm sure he can help me with this. Thanks!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh just remembered when I was 15 and studying abroad in Germany Spookerstar made me a 13 days of Halloween set of gifts. Some were candy, some were games/toys, but the one I remember best was a doll’s head with long black hair. I still have Anne somewhere (and I’m 29!). Maybe doing 13 tiny gifts might be a fun tie in to the scavenging?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I jokingly told my kids years ago that a witch came to haunt our house for Halloween and they believed me so I ran with it. Now every October, our witch "Hazel" comes and haunts our house for the month--doing something for them each week of October. My kids love it and talk about Hazel all year long. As my kids have gotten older (10, 9, and 6), I have to up my game to keep the magic real. I am having a total loss of what to do this year and was hoping you guys could help. Here are things Hazel has done in the past:

--made creepy halloween meals
--left various gross/real looking sweet treats
--left halloween shirts, socks, books, etc
--invited her witch friends to our house who left their hats floating (hanging from the ceiling) all over the house
--cast a spell on our house releasing hundreds of ghosts in our house (I got a spinning ghost light bulb from lowes that projects spinning ghost shadows inside as well as an outside ghost projector)

I would love to really knock it out of the park this year as I think it will be the last year my older 2 believe. I am up for including pranks as well, just can't come up with any. I like to make anything she brings/does more realistic/creepy rather than cartoonish. I am fine with store bought or homemade ideas--just want something with that 'wow' factor to make it magical. Thanks guys!
What about the bath mat that when you step on with wet feet it looks like bloody footprints?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maybe you could have an infestation of frogs in the house. Witches are known to turn people into frogs. You could get some plastic or rubber or stuffed frogs, or wind up frog toys and place them in various places around the house.

Have a witch's broom mysteriously show up in the corner of a room or leaning on the wall by a door and then move it somewhere new every day.

Make up some potion bottles and put their shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, lotions, and hand soap into the bottles. Have a front label for say the shampoo that says something like Hair Of Dog and a back label that reads something like "for full and lustrous hair". On the Conditioner you could label it something like Cobweb Dust and on the back label something like "for soft and silky curls."

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe you could have an infestation of frogs in the house. Witches are known to turn people into frogs. You could get some plastic or rubber or stuffed frogs, or wind up frog toys and place them in various places around the house.

Have a witch's broom mysteriously show up in the corner of a room or leaning on the wall by a door and then move it somewhere new every day.

Make up some potion bottles and put their shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, lotions, and hand soap into the bottles. Have a front label for say the shampoo that says something like Hair Of Dog and a back label that reads something like "for full and lustrous hair". On the Conditioner you could label it something like Cobweb Dust and on the back label something like "for soft and silky curls."
Love these ideas!! Your shampoo bottle idea reminded me of a funny story I will share. When my daughter was about 5 or 6 she came up to me and asked, "Mommy, do you have thick, luxurious hair?". Well, I have very fine, straight hair so I answered, "No, I unfortunately do NOT have thick, luxurious hair!". She looked puzzled and then asked, "Then why do you use the shampoo that says "For thick and luxurious hair"?". I laughed so hard!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Here is some color changing hand soap that you could re-label. This might be a bit creepy and fun.

Here is some color changing bubble bath.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Love these ideas!! Your shampoo bottle idea reminded me of a funny story I will share. When my daughter was about 5 or 6 she came up to me and asked, "Mommy, do you have thick, luxurious hair?". Well, I have very fine, straight hair so I answered, "No, I unfortunately do NOT have think, luxurious hair!". She looked puzzled and then asked, "Then why do you use the shampoo that says "For thick and luxurious hair"?". I laughed so hard!
That is funny. Kids can say the darnedest things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts