Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to start a new project that wont take all spring and summer wont last only a couple of days. I dont have much of a budget so ot cant be expensive and i cant do any pneumatics. I love making the actual monsters itself and detailing them but it doesnt have to be one. If anyone could give me some ideas for a prop or a project i would really appeciate it!

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Tombstones?
spell book

or like a standing prop?
make your form from (2) old pr pantyhose, 1 for the legs, 1 for the arms. tape them together, stuff them, use an old broom handle to attach it to, (so you can stick it in the ground) or rebar, dress it anyway you want. You can make a head using paper mache.

specimen jars

Not sure if this is what you asking about or not.
More info would be helpful.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you need materials cheap, don't forget about pallets (lots of places give them away), junkyards and recycling centers. Also, if you have one near you, Habitat for Humanity's ReStore is a good place.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
If you need materials cheap, don't forget about pallets (lots of places give them away), junkyards and recycling centers. Also, if you have one near you, Habitat for Humanity's ReStore is a good place.
pallet wood coffins wood be a good start. you don't have to worry abotu storage as they can sit out all year and weather

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a fan of using pink foam insulation sheets and a heat knife and wire to sculpt out cool stuff. This makes for great obelisks, creepy door frame adornments, statues, or even mounted to walls to make for cool textures like stone, or even a face stretching through the wall. Depends on how well you can carve, but its fun and not terribly expensive. 1 sheet can go a long way.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
I found the cauldron creep to be a really fun project that takes a combination of thought, engineering, and creativeness to really do right. Most expensive part is the skeleton for the body, unless you already have one, or want to make a body from scratch as some have done to create witches or other ghouls to stir the pot instead of a skeleton. Framing can be done in PVC pipe, or as a couple of us have done, an internal frame of rebar or all-thread. You will also need 2 motors, either wiper motors or xmas deer motors. I made mine over the course of about 2 months. One month to build and get running smoothly and another month of dressing, decorating, and other embellishments. I got my skelly on clearance for $7 and already had 2 deer motors from retired lawn deer. I probably spent around 50 bucks total on everything that went into him.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree with jdubbya post. Monsterlist is a great site for beginner. It has "how to" for most of the things listed above. It's were I got my 1st instructions.
This is one of my 1st, 2-3 day projects.

Material was around $50., but I had some of it already all ready. And I got the flaming pot on sale after Halloween for around $10.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being new to the whole haunting stuff myself, I found all this informative and also supported the kickstarter campaign. Can't wait to learn more!

Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kdag11, One of the very first props I made was the $25 wooden toe pincher coffin on Scarefx.com. It is a pretty easy and inexpensive project made out of 1" x 6" x 6' treated fence boards and if you want to ad some motion to the prop you can use a wiper motor to make the lid open and close. It took me less than one day to build and you can use it for so many different things. Also, as others have suggested the Monster List is a great place to find ideas. Good luck and post some photos of whatever project you choose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts