Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a drinking skeleton for this year, with a pump hidden inside so that it looks like the rum or whatever is spilling out of his ribs. The pics below show him without a head, and his right arm will be up holding the bottle. I'm going for one of those old, 18th Century sort of shapes for the rum bottle. Glass is going to be too heavy for this prop, so does anyone have a suggestion for what I could use besides a real bottle? ...and I don't have a good relationship with paper mache! :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
try a plastic bottle , paint it with plastic spray paint or just give it a dust paint to make it look dirty , wrap some rope around the nozzle of the bottle glue a small half skull on it with rhum or poison written on the bottle or anything ......plastic if you need to drill holes will be easly done if you decide to have the liquid pour out of the bottle ;) and you then just put sillicone to caulk the hole where you tube will be so that no water drips from there , the plastic bottle can also be drilled smal hole to put wires on it to hold it securly to the skelly hand ;) that way you can hide yo water bol with pumps in the skelly rib cage or underneat it depending where your gonna use your prop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, both. Good start here--the "look" was what stumped me and the plastic and dust paint should do the trick. An excuse to hit both the liquor store and hardward store-- this should turn out to be a pretty good day...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
thanks, both. Good start here--the "look" was what stumped me and the plastic and dust paint should do the trick. An excuse to hit both the liquor store and hardward store-- this should turn out to be a pretty good day...
your welcome and hey dont hit the liquor store too hard if you want to be able to finish that cool prop ;) have fun and show us the end result :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Check out my barrel pirate. I found a plastic bottle at the swap meet and aged it by rubbing a bar of wet hand soap over the bottle. After the soap dried, it gave a cloudy-hazy look. I then printed out a old wine label off the computer and glued it to the bottle. Hope that helps.
Pirate Gallery pictures by Yelsir - Photobucket

love your pirates bobzilla , i didnt know that soap tip , gonna remember that ;) ....i was gonna suggest rub some dye too on it or diluted dry coffee to age it too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Assuming the pump will be placed in the base of the prop to recirculate the liquid, use a bendable pipe to go from the pump up through the ribcage/mouth into the bottle so the pipe holds the weight of the bottle.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
bozila... wow i am just speechless your pirates set up is TOTALLY awesome ...the lightning the props wow everything is incredible well done WOOOOW..bravo:)

·
2,620 Posts
Thank you very much ! Can't wait to see your prop when it's done :)
Check out Oriental trading Co. for plastic bottles.

bozila... wow i am just speechless your pirates set up is TOTALLY awesome ...the lightning the props wow everything is incredible well done WOOOOW..bravo:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's how it turned out. No luck finding a bottle I liked so I Frankensteined one instead. PVC pipe for the neck, dremeled the end to make a lip, duct taped it to a glass globe light cover (couldn't find plastic at lowes, hd, or wally world), put foam insulation strip around the bottom for the base, painted the whole thing green and added sand to the paint to rough it up. Wrapped it with rope and there it is.

My wife says it looks like a bong. Alas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, bobzilla. and now, I'm in search of a skull--probably end up with a bucky. by the way, again, those pirates of yours are really incredible.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I had the same idea, find a plastic bottle. Or if you're feeling creative you could chop up a milk jug and play around with that...

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
We did a drinking pirate skelleton last year ! I used a plastic salad dressing bottle. I found a brand that sold dressing in a bottle that was shaped like a wine bottle. I just mucked it up with a little brownish paint. put a hole in the side of it and silconed the clear tubing from the pump it in.

In the water I put a few packets of RIT whitener so the liquid glowed. The room had several blacklights.... Was really a fun project. I hung his arm up with fishing line so it looked like he was holding the bottle. He then was sitting in a chair and I cut a hole in the chair and lined his rib cage with clear cellophane wrap. Ran the cellophane down through the hole in the chair. I put a bucket under the chair and painted it black. I had a pretty big pump so I had to clamp the tubing some to keep the water flow down.
Biggest problem was getting his rib cage and JAW lined with the clear plastic so there were no leaks.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Lynn, what size pump did you use, and about how long was your tubing?

I created a prop in which a red liquid was pumped through a keg and into a stein (with a hole in the bottom) and recirculated. I placed a blucky next to the keg with the stein in his hand. The problem I encountered was that if the stein was too far away from the keg (and the bowl of liquid was too low to the ground), the pump couldn't generate a strong enough flow. (I used a small fountain pump.) I had to shorten the tubing and raise the stein and bowl to the right height.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts