Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this year I am hoping to make my first prop....from scratch, nothing fancy and needs to be static. What do you master builders consider for a good starter prop project? In the past I've set up my skellies and we built a coffin, but I've never "created" my own prop and I would really love to give it a try.

Something not too gory or scary, more cool, like "Pumpkinrot-esque" . :)

Thoughts...suggestions?

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
Make a scarecrow of sorts: Make a T with the Pvc, and attach to a sturdy base or like I did, had rebar going through the PVC and propped it up against one of our trees.I used cheap skelly ribs and hips and distressed a bit. Big huge old piece of cloth that draped over it all. Branches were just duct taped. I did use some great stuff to add more branches to the pvc pipe going down and spray painted black to go with the black death theme.
Room Costume

finished :
Branch Tree Night Darkness Font

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm going to suggest using monster mud to create this first prop. Maybe create a shrouded creature. You'd just need an armature of a styrofoam head and some PVC pipe mounted on a wood base. Or bang a piece of rebar into the ground and slide the PVC over it if you don't want to bother with a base. Then get an old bedsheet or burlap and dunk it in the MM and start creating! You don't need arms or legs or even a face.

Photograph Tree Black-and-white Rock Monochrome photography

·
Registered
211 Posts
A haunted tree ...... Spray foam on post cylinders and paint.

Whichever you decide on, my only suggestion is don't try something too hard to get discouraged and not continue building (have seen happen before).
Each year you will build something better and better as you try more things.

I started with cardboard gravestones, now I'm doing foam/monster mud, engraved gravestones, along with pic figures, pneumatics and starting this year, turning wig heads into good faces.

Oh, remember! It is Halloween, you cannot screw up the prop, just say 'that's what you planned' if it doesn't turn out as you wanted. ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm going to suggest using monster mud to create this first prop. Maybe create a shrouded creature. You'd just need an armature of a styrofoam head and some PVC pipe mounted on a wood base. Or bang a piece of rebar into the ground and slide the PVC over it if you don't want to bother with a base. Then get an old bedsheet or burlap and dunk it in the MM and start creating! You don't need arms or legs or even a face.

View attachment 278966
Nice way to fill out an area without breaking the bank. Great idea.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I agree with Rockstar G.. A monster mud reaper is the perfect starter prop. I did mine with my daughters help.

It's just a base with a pvc pipes for the spine/shoulder and arms with a plastic skull. Then wrapped in chicken wire. Cover with burlap and paint with monster mud.

Here are step by step directions: http://www.hauntershangout.com/home/reaperstone.asp

·
crossfit zombie
7,660 Posts
Make a scarecrow of sorts: Make a T with the Pvc, and attach to a sturdy base or like I did, had rebar going through the PVC and propped it up against one of our trees.I used cheap skelly ribs and hips and distressed a bit. Big huge old piece of cloth that draped over it all. Branches were just duct taped. I did use some great stuff to add more branches to the pvc pipe going down and spray painted black to go with the black death theme.
View attachment 278962

finished :
View attachment 278964

Love the scarecrow.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I started out small about 3 years ago (with no building/artistic abilities!) with engraved foam tombstones...that was a very beginner friendly project.

Then I built a coffin and an electric chair & a pirates cannon with materials I had lying around or got free...those were pretty easy too.

Last year I made my cemetery columns...this took a bit more artistic ability and thought, and took me awhile, but they came out great & everyone loved them.

This year I am working on a prop from scratch...it will be a cauldron creep (but not so hunch-backed)...I was able to create my own design off of plans I found online, I made the frame/used blow mold type skeleton bone parts that I cut apart & wrapped around the frame so it can't be seen, I made the fire pit/coals, she will be animated (stirring the pot, fog, lights, head moving up & down AND side to side) & will be singing a song with a moving jaw...she's been a bit of a challenge since I have no programming/audio editing/mechanical skills, but it has been really fun!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, love the ideas! The reapers and the scarecrow look like fun builds. Thanks so much for the ideas everyone. Now, the wheels are really turning!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts