Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband is about to turn 50 on Oct 26th. Thought I would have a death of youth party. I can get away with decorating the house like a funeral parlor without him having a clue. I am really excited about this theme. Please give me some ideas. I know someone did a theme like this for a Halloween party but I can not find the thread, if you find it please direct me.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Cool plan. A black wreath and roses are necessities, I would say, along with tabletop tombstones and some bones scattered here and there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fun! Years ago when we FINALLY replaced the copier at work the old one had been on the verge of going belly up for months and months. It wouldn't make a single copy without an issue. We were all so relieved. I talked my boss into letting me throw a funeral for the old copier. I made a playlist and played appropriate music, including the funeral march as they wheeled it out of the department. People took turns telling stories of their favorite memories of the copier. One co-worker threw herself on the copier and pretended to sob as we all filed past to pay our respects. A co-worker who sews made mourning bands for all the guys to wear and black hats with black veils (open at the top - she just covered cardboard forms with fabric). I think the hats and mourning bands made it extra fun.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Fun! Years ago when we FINALLY replaced the copier at work the old one had been on the verge of going belly up for months and months. It wouldn't make a single copy without an issue. We were all so relieved. I talked my boss into letting me throw a funeral for the old copier. I made a playlist and played appropriate music, including the funeral march as they wheeled it out of the department. People took turns telling stories of their favorite memories of the copier. One co-worker threw herself on the copier and pretended to sob as we all filed past to pay our respects. A co-worker who sews made mourning bands for all the guys to wear and black hats with black veils (open at the top - she just covered cardboard forms with fabric). I think the hats and mourning bands made it extra fun.
Sounds like a fun place to work! :)

How about toe tags for invitations?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar party thrown for him. They had a coffin, in which he posed for a photo, lying down, eyes closed, hands clasped. ;)

I would drape lightweight black fabric over pictures and mirrors, have several tissue boxes onhand, and maybe you can make a memorial DVD of photos of him through the years. OR, if you couldn't show a DVD, maybe someone could loan you a digital photo frame if you don't have one already, and you could load it with photos of him, and have a couple of candles nearby.

I can go to my friend's FB page and see if I can find more info on his party. Unfortunately I was living out of state when it happened, so I didn't get to go.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It would be cool if it was all sombre and wake like for the first half hour or so, quite planned with a video like was suggested abovee, the ritual boxing away of sime symbols of youth (old sports gear, dance music cd's, whatever youthfull passtime he likes) then you had some speeches, cut the cake and then it turned into a Day of The Dead type party, really kicking the mood into top gear. Like the funeral parade in that Bond film. Would work well if you briefed the guests beforehand, so they didnt get too cheerful at the start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts