Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I volunteered to help a local charity haunt with a couple of their rooms. Since the next area is a town where zombies are roaming I thought the perfect choice would be to turn the first room into a clean room entry into the lab that accidentally created the zombies. The lab room is about 11 by 16 and I was trying to figure out a nice cheap way to make lab walls. The room was built with old garage doors so there is no problem attaching materials to it but I wanted to have something much more clinical. Of course since it is a charity haunt I need to do it on the cheap. My first instinct was Terra's video on creating steel panels using styrofoam but I am guessing it would take 18 sheets at around $12 per sheet or $216. So I am hoping for some suggestions for even cheaper ways to make the walls. Feel free to throw in any ideas for things to put in the two rooms. They actually have quite a bit of junk around the building I just need to find the materials I can use.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I second Nightfisher's plastic sheeting/shower curtain idea. And, at various points in the room, you could have a sheet of thin plywood/paneling panels spaced out that looked like high-tech areas. I've seen folks just glue plastic gears, gauges, pc keyboard, wires...and, my favorite, chunks of rigid stryofoam inserts (like those inside boxes for shipping microwave ovens and other big things)...then just paint it all with one color...like white. It gives texture and relief without a lot of effort or cost.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Clear, translucent sheets is a nice idea. Rotating fan for some motion. Maybe cutout silhouettes back lit in some spots? Audio of hospital / emergency room activity, referring to the zombie outbreak?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plastic sheeting idea was what I was planning for the clean room. I also planned to throw in a couple of suits that appear to be clean suits (maybe old rain coats) For the scare in the clean room I was going to have some hoses and in some of them use compressed air. A quick shot of compressed air and teh hoses will jump and make noise. The problem is the Lab itself. I wanted to cover the walls with something that looks like a high tech lab. Some sort of nice clean white walls or something that looked like steel perhaps. Maybe Fearington's suggestion would be possible. Just have a few solid looking walls mixed with more of the plastic sheeting I have already gotten a lab bench, medical table and some huge sonet tubes (for pouring concrete) from among the stuff in the place. I have no idea why they have a couple of huge sonet tubes but they are perfect for a Zombie containment vault. They also already have a real Jacobs ladder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
PVC pipe painted to look like steel always works well. For my lab last year we kept it pretty simple due to time constraints. We ended up with a old, framed periodic table we got on the cheap and then stapled a ton of old medical photos that we printed from the internet all over the walls in a haphazard way (for the crazed scientist feel). We added in some chains hanging from the ceiling (with some coyote skins for our werewolf plot, but still would be cool for a creepy lab anyway), a plasma ball from eBay, a couple blood bags from frightprops (which we hung on an old, steel shirt/coat rack we had) and a bunch of glass jars with "specimen" samples in them (used some cheap, but high quality animal props form dapper cadaver). Also, be on the look out during this garage sale season for and old or even broken stuff like dehumidifier units and such. Things you can tear the shell off the outside and leave just the pumps and motors exposed. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
IMG_0490.jpg We used the foam insulation boards that are coverd in foil for our lab. We added some pill bottle lids and drawer pulls to make cabinets and buttons. small beads looked like little lights and some rubber gloves and various tools hanging our of a drawer( extra piece glued on with handle) The tubes were old glow necklaces and air hoses from a c-pap machine. We also used a old baby mirror for looking as baby in back seat as an intercom. If you check and get the dented or uneven one they might give you a discount. Ours was for an alien autopsy lab so as you see we had an alien brain in a "machine". We just screwd them to our walls and with some lights and other stuff in the room.... You get the idea!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts