Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of our crafty types have ideas for making a dead looking wreath? I have an animated funeral portrait on a stand and wanted a wreath hanging beneath it. My display is very Victorian so I didn't want a Michael's black plastic and purple glitter one ;) I want something that looks like it died with the girl in the portrait ;) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Do you want it for just this year, or something you can have for a few years? If you want something for just this year, I'd go with a lot of dried natural materials. You could buy some or go for a nature walk or into your backyard for some supplies. Look for grasses, seed pods, flowers, leaves, etc that you can dry. Hang them upside down in a cool & dry place and then you can snip off the parts you like to make a wreath.

You could also buy fake flowers in pale colors like white and then use different brown colored paints to make them appear dead. I'd probably water down the shades of brown and then paint each petal with different layers of "dead" colors. That's what I did with some fake dollar store flowers for our graveyard. I don't have a picture and we haven't gotten our Halloween stuff out yet or I'd dig them out.

To make it even more realistic, don't forget to age the ribbon on the wreath too! Either tea-stain it (boil some water, stick a couple tea bags in the hot water and let it sit for a few hours. Then put the ribbon into the brown water & let it sit too) or paint it with watered-down brown paint.

·
Registered
159 Posts
some ideas? these can probably be easily made from dollar tree/dollar store materials

this one a little fancier but a quick trip to a garage or estate sale and you'll be done.
(i like the vintage junk jewelry idea!)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Are those real dead flowers? It is fall, I should look and see what has fallen around my garden. Too bad they don't make plastic versions of dead flowers since the real ones are so crumbly. Maybe I could impregnate them somehow with a wax or plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts