Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's totally unrelated to Halloween!

I belong to TCM Backlot which is the Turner Classic Movies fan club. They have sorts of contests, movie tix, meet & greets, you can win a chance to visit the studios in Atlanta, etc.

The good news is....I WON A MEET & GREET WITH BEN MANKIEWICZ & BARRY LEVINSON!! It's for a 30th anniversary showing of The Natural.

Bad news is...it's in Buffalo, NY & I'm in MD. I have no beef with Buffalo & have only driven through it once on a high school exchange trip to Canada.

I'm just kinda bummed that I have to go all the way to NY to meet 2 men that are from MD! Ben Mankiewicz is actually only 1 day older than me & grew up right down the road from me & Barry Levinson is from Baltimore.

For those that don't wanna google, Levinson is best known as an Oscar winner for Rain Man (director & best pic), he's done a lot of Baltimore movies like Diner, Tin Men, Avalon, he also did Good Morning Vietnam & Toys with Robin Williams.

Ben is a TCM host & we're all Aries!! :D

I am just beside myself with glee over this since I never win anything, but since I've been in Backlot I've won several movie tickets & now this so my luck is changing!

Now I have a question, anyone here know where I should stay there in Buffalo?

This is the theatre:
http://www.northparktheatre.org/

I've just been googling around & I like the idea of this place plus they have dogs & a full breakfast:
http://www.theparksidehouse.com/

But I'm totally open for suggestions. We're only there for 2 nights so we don't want to spend thousands but at my age I don't feel the need & have zero desire to cheap out at the Super 8 either.

We'll most likely drive too since I've got a new car that needs breaking in so we'll have a car.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
That's wonderful! So happy for you. :)

No idea about Buffalo, but hope you have a fantastic time. :cool:

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
With the US CDN exchange rate looking really good for US citizens you might even consider finding a place in Niagara Falls Canada (if you have passports), and enjoy everything in Niagara Falls as well as your Meet and Greet in Buffalo.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No passports.

We have had more than one argument about getting passports too. Nothing against anyone north of the border or anywhere else outta the US it's just one of those dumb married people arguments we have about 3 times a year.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Hey that is really great! Nice prize. I haven't watched TCM in a while and not even sure with our current provider we get it (don't think we do) but when we use to get Tivo service both here in Calif and back in Illinois I use to watch TCM alot (and The Movie Channel before that). I remember when Robert Osborne hosted and introduced the films and just loved him. Didn't think I'd warm up to anyone after him but Ben was the perfect guy to take over for him. I remember when he first came on and gave some background on his family and why he looked forward to being the new host. He seems like such a nice guy, very personable and boy I bet he has some stories he can share. And wow getting to meet Barry Levinson too. Another long time name in the industry. Levinson has been involved in a number of movies and tv projects I've seen. One show he was involved with Falcone I really enjoyed watching although it didn't get picked up for many episodes. Have to say this is one of the coolest prizes I've heard about in a long while. So funny that they are both from MD and you are traveling out of state to meet them. Should be a nice getaway unless your talking about snowy stormy weather for when this is scheduled in Buffalo!!

Loved The Natural and saw it in the theaters when it came out. Any chance you might get to meet Redford, Duvall, or Close or any of the other cast members? Especially if its a 30th anniversary celebration??

Relatives are from NY but not that part so unfortunately no help for recommendations for Buffalo. The theater it's being held in looks beautiful and reminds me a lot of the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, CA that shows vintage movies, same kind of golden ornate look to it from when theaters were movie palaces.

Do come back and let us know how it was and who you met.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Redford or Duvall or any other movie stars, just Ben & Barry. At least not that I know of anyway.

They had a "bring TCM to your home town" contest & Buffalo won. Some of the movie was shot there too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Am I the only one who was disappointed when they opened this thread? When I saw that he "won a major award" I fully expected the awesome leg lamp from "A Christmas Story".

Oh well. Guess you'll have to "settle" for a Buffalo meet and greet. Congratulations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts