Halloween Forum banner

I will show you mine if you show me yours.

5918 Views 48 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Specter
No that’s not what I am talking about. What I am referring to is my Halloween prop control center. I live in the Arizona desert and we do not have lawns in our front yards. What we do have is a lot of rocks and very hard dirt.

That makes for some very difficult Halloween setup. So I have been working on this setup for a number of months.

The first picture show the control box without doors, you can see a number of shelf with different components. Each following pic moves down the inside of the control box.

Things of interest.

Keyboard with six switches above.
Two computers with KVM switch.
Six K74 boards
Six plugs on the outside / Wiring to the plugs outside
Orange wire below the plug, this will plug into a 220V line that will be split into two 110V circuits.
Outer wrap for power lines.
Black (Snake) (Thanks Randy for the name)) Prop power line.
The back of the box without doors.

More to come.

Thx PMT
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
I agree with the LED lights. Low voltage is much easier (not to mention safer) to work with, and it's easier on the electric bill, too. I've put together a how - to for some inexpensive and really easy LED spot lights here. You could scale them up using larger PVC fixtures and multiple LEDs to light a bigger area.

· Registered
226 Posts
I have some interest in LED lighting, I would like to know how you determine how many LED’s you hook up to what amount of power? Lets say you are going to use a 9v DC power supply, how many LED’s would you use in your spot and how much light would it put out? A little how to would be nice.
LEDs have different forward voltages and current ratings. This site has some excellent info on LED wiring and does a far greater job of explaining them than I could. They also have a bunch of calculators that make it really easy to determine the resistance needed for your setup.

As far as how bright your setup would be, LEDs are measured in millicandella (mcd). The higher the mcd rating, the brighter the LED. The sight I linked to above also has a mcd to lumen calculator. You generally have to use quite a few LEDs to approximate the brightness of an incandescent bulb - a 40 watt bulb puts out 450 - 500 lumens.

I've never used LEDs for floodlights, just spots. A spotlight is focused on a much smaller area, so it doesn't have to be as bright to highlight something. I'm lucky enough not to have a streetlight nearby, so I'm not fighting too much ambient light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.