Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, as well in the past, the one thing people have consistently asked if we had any of, and therefore would not tour my haunt were CLOWNS. I of course am fascinated by this since I have never been scared by a clown. What is the one thing you hear from your guests that would prevent them from visiting your house of pleasurable experiences?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wont go through something if it is a tight space...I am claustrophobic... so if I have to get down and crawl through a tunnel or something... I am not doing it...

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i had quite a few who wouldn't come through my haunt the year i did the clown year. one kid who helped with my haunt quit the year i did clowns. i won't go through a haunt if i have to crawl. i don't know what makes people think crawling is fun

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't like clowns. Not at the Circus and definitely not at a haunt. (I also hate snakes!)

Clowns are supposed to be fun and entertaining, but I find them to be neither. Especially at a haunt! I guess I find Clowns to be "over the top" and something that I don't want to bother with. If I can't avoid them, I tend to ignore them. I know there are great Clowns out there -Ronald McDonald- but even HE creeps me out!

I am sure there is some underlying thing that I don't like, but I have yet to figure it out.

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
I never had a problem with clowns until Pennywise in IT. Now I don't like them. Spiders are my phobia though. I always have to have a friend do the spider part of my webbing and props...Won't even touch the cheesy plastic ones...get creeped out too bad. I uses plyers if I have to adjust any. Silly I know...but as a kid I got into an old wooden detached garage and disturbed a web and had a whole bunch of spiders drop on me....never been the same about spiders since.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Snakes, definitely....I'm constantly looking at the ground anywhere I walk...I've had a garder snake living here for years....I was OK with it living under the porch....I didn't like it so much last fall when he was in my work trailer....He decided to stay in there on a constant basis lately so I had to have my brother kill it the other week....Now I'm creeped out when I do anything in there from moving boards to taking boxes down off the shelf...Not very fun....ZR

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
My buddy reached into a large container in which he keeps his large beam saw. He thought the power cord felt awful large. What he had actually grabbed was a huge black indigo snake.

Snakes, definitely....I'm constantly looking at the ground anywhere I walk...I've had a garder snake living here for years....I was OK with it living under the porch....I didn't like it so much last fall when he was in my work trailer....He decided to stay in there on a constant basis lately so I had to have my brother kill it the other week....Now I'm creeped out when I do anything in there from moving boards to taking boxes down off the shelf...Not very fun....ZR

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
You really got to love the thugs that come up announcing "If anything in there scares me im gonna hit it" What in the hell are you doing at a haunted house.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Exactly....I always imagine a snake slithering up and out over the top of a box everytime I take one down now from overhead that you can't see into it so the hair stands up everytime on the back of my neck...I even pull the toolbox drawers out quickly and get my hand away in case there's one in there...There was a mouse nest in one, one year and my brother said anywhere a mouse can get in, so can a snake....UAAGHH!....Hate em....ZR

·
Registered
410 Posts
What is the one thing you hear from your guests that would prevent them from visiting your house of pleasurable experiences?
One boy told me he wouldn't even walk on our side of the street when he was younger because the red glowing eyes that would come on inside our demon doghouse when someone got close would scare him. I think a number of people are nervous around dogs.

And a very young girl told me she was afraid of witches and blueberries! I told here do have several witches, but definitely no scary blueberries. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
My son has a thing about clowns. Don't really understand it myself, but I have heard enough to know that it is becoming more and more common.

I personally avoid strobe lights, but that is because most of the time if they are what is lighting the whole room, I will fall over my own feet. I don't mind them as background or as part of an effect, but as the main light in a room I often cannot walk at all, and falling over for me makes the experience a lot less fun and is not scary in the right sense

·
Registered
574 Posts
I HATE CLOWNS. You just can't trust them. I always say that if I have to crawl through something at a haunt, I'm not doing it but I usually do it anyway. I love Halloween too much to maybe miss out on something.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
I understand people are scared of things. But without sounding like an ass, i don't understand, and don't personally care for anyone who would not take part in something due to a fear of an immaterial thing.

It's a haunted house. It's halloween. You went there because it's the time of year of scary things. You went to get scared. Fear can be an exciting emotion when you know it's safe and controlled.

For example, people are scared of Pennywise the clown in IT. Ok, he was an actual monster clown who killed children. If there's clowns in this place, it's just some dude in a costume who's gonna take his mask off in 20 minutes to go drink a soda and take a pee, just like you. It's not real, you know it's not, so i don't understand the big deal personally.

It's safe, organized, and controlled. It's there for your entertainment, you decided to go there, so enjoy it or don't complain and leave. Go home watch America's next top model and forget the fact that it's October 31st.

That's what i'd say, and have said.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
My fear of snakes is a phobia...That means controlled or not, it goes from fear which I'm OK with, to anxiety which I am not...I've been to plenty of haunted houses that had fake snakes and so far it hasn't been a problem....Make the experience real enough though and I'm not sure I could do it....Big difference between fear and anxiety....ZR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts