Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this afternoon I had just over an hour and half to kill before I had to go pick up my kids from school. I figured that was enough time to knock out the last two fence panels that I needed to get done and start dragging some of the pillars out from the shed to in front of the garage. So I get outside, pop open the garage door and get everything set up to get to work. As soon as I connected nail gun to the air hose and started to walk toward my work station I hear from across the road, "Yeah, I think he's in there." Here comes two door-to-door Mormons with unusually wide smiles on their faces. Now I don't know if they remember me a few weeks ago just before I started work on the fenced garage facade but I remember them. Anyhow, they came right up to the fenced facade and asked, "I just gotta know, is this for Halloween?" Of course I respond with, "Yes." And they start asking all kinds of questions, like what exactly am I building, what is it going to be, hey what is that in there (pointing into the garage), are you going to extend the display into your garage, is that a casket in there? All kinds of questions that I didn't exactly expect to hear from Mormons regarding Halloween.

I was quite polite with them but I was less than honest when they asked what my display was going to be. I wasn't going to say straight up, "Yeah, I'm going to put several corpses hanging on the wall here. And this casket is going to have a skeletal corpse inside. And you see that spot in the yard it is going to be for the Witch's Shack." I just couldn't do it, so instead I just said that my display would evolve each day depending on what I had time for. Not too far from the the truth but I found it quite funny to be talking with them about Halloween.

The one guy even asked if there was anything I needed help with. I said, no, that I was okay. I don't know if he would have really helped me carry the pillars from around back or not but if they come back in a few weeks and he offers again, I just might take him up on his offer.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I grew up in Salt Lake City (Mormon central for those who don't know) and that is where I had a blast with Halloween as a kid. More celebrating of the season/holiday than anywhere else I have lived. So, not too surprising to hear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This made me laugh especially hard-- I'm Mormon, you see.

Actually, the missionaries WILL take you up on that offer if you ask for their help. Even if you tell them you're not interested in the religion, they'll help. It's what they do... or what they "should" be doing. (If they turn you down, let me know... let me know which ward they're in?) If you run out of conversation topics, ask them where they're from. That's a good question to ask the Mormon missionaries.

You could have even told them about the bodies on the wall. I bet they would have thought you were the coolest person in the WORLD. See... Mormons celebrate Halloween just like regular people. *wink*

Though, here's a hot tip if they start pressuring you about converting-- ask them about the 11th article of faith. Then tell them you have your religion and ask that they respect that. They can't argue with that. =)

Happy Haunting! ... and if you have any other "Mormon" questions, feel free to ask. I'm not one of the super-Mormony-Mormons... I interpret things a bit more lax than those "Utah Mormons".

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's more the Jehovah Witnesses you need to be weary of. Not to start a religious debate..it's just that my boyfriends mom used to be an active Witness and used to try and force us into going to a meeting because we work at a haunted house. XD

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yeah, I have Mormon friends who have nothing against Halloween. They trick or treat at my house every year! I agree, it's the JW's and other more fundamentalist groups that will try to save you from eternal damnation if you celebrate Halloween. It's those puritanical roots...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, I totally agree that the JW's are way strict and conservative about stuff. I was raised a witness, and at age 12 realized it was SO NOT for me. One note, however is that the JW's don't believe in eternal damnation. That being said, my JW sister will not come to my house the entire month of October because of my set-up! ahahahaha :D In fact, when she found out the closet in the guest room was full of "scary" portraits, she said she's never sleep in there again! Ah, gotta laugh at that. ahahaha :D :D :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
While I was a missionary in Russia (where they don't celebrate Halloween) for the LDS(Mormon) church we put on one of the best Halloween parties I've ever participated in.

I only WISH I had access to some of the stuff available for cheap all over the place over there! Oh MAN the awesome black with red velvet interior dracula-style coffins for like $5. So I would think that MOST of us like Halloween! :D

And finally - one of my personal internet rules is this: Don't talk about Politics or Religion online, because you are never going to convince anybody and nobody is going to convince you! :p

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
It's more the Jehovah Witnesses you need to be weary of. Not to start a religious debate..it's just that my boyfriends mom used to be an active Witness and used to try and force us into going to a meeting because we work at a haunted house. XD
I have t agree with Scaranda , if memory serves, Michael Jackson made a point of it in the form of a disclaimer at the beginning of his 'Thriller' video. It stated that 'that none of the images contained in the video in any way reflected his views as a Jehovah's Witness'...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think someone mentioned this beforw, but u'll say it anyways. Those missionaries will take you up on an offer. See, they're out there to preach, but that's not all they're doing. They are also out there to help and serve those who ask for it. I'm raised a mormon, and my bro is going on his mission soon, so i know quite a bit on the matter. Just remember that they're people, and people like to be heard, not have doors slammed in their faces. Lol. And if you're looking shane, no i don't have horns, for the last time!

·
Registered
436 Posts
We had the mormons coming by a bit at out last residence....They only really irritated me once trying to witness while I was trying to load the van to go out of town with thunder and impending rain looming over.
The other irritation was that they parked in front of my house and left the car there while they went round the neighborhood...4 different times, 2 diff cars. For some reason this irritates me...ask. Especially if you are not just next door, but down the street or 2 streets over. I finally left a note, and requested they take it back to church and share...they quit.
I would probably screw with most other religious visits...but they usually show up when I'm asleep, so I am too groggy, and just mad, like 2 weeks ago when someone wanted to invite me to a neighborhood bible study, apparently not noticing the Pentacle wreath I made.
I did hear of someone who after multiple JW visits in one month, was outside cleaning and cutting a deer he had killed when they arrived again. His wife said, "Sorry, my husband handles this." They looked at each other and said"Its great that you defer to the man like that as you are supposed to." She went and got him...he walked around the side of the house with blood dripping from hands and shirt and yelled "How many times have I told you not to disturb me in mid-ritual!!" He went back around...the policeman who showed up 10 minutes later was still laughing as he left after an explanation.
Never got bothered again....

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am mormon and have to agree with many of the sentiments already expressed on here. We love to celebrate Halloween. Our church is doing a Halloween night event on October 30th followed by their trunk or treat (in order to allow the kids to trick or treat there and still be able to go out on Halloween. Our missionaries have already been hounding me to come help me put out my outside decorations (I'm running behind on my outside decorations this year lol) and they can't wait to help. The only sad part is that missionaries won't be able to be out on Halloween night because in many areas people dress as them and make fun of them and give them a bad name, so they usually do something togeather in their home and have fun celebrating. They are always willing to help people in fact they are supposed to do a certain amount of community service (type of work) each week and love to help those who need it. Btw they aren't given a lot of money to live on so if you see them in your neighborhood offer them a cookie or some lunch if they ask if they can teach you. :) $132 per month to buy food and items for teaching and your home isn't much money. All in all they are some of the nicest people you will meet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! I really had no idea that so many practicing Mormons were into Halloween. I will admit that I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to different faiths. Not ignorant in an ugly way just not versed in many of the specific practices of each faith. Thanks for letting me know that it was cool to discuss my Halloween projects with them if they seemed open to it. Very cool.

It has been a while since the Jehovah Witnesses have come by, but I'm sure it will be soon and from the sounds of what you all are telling me, that visit should be really interesting.

Thanks guys & gals!

·
Registered
340 Posts
LOL too funny! Mormons are good people. I live in Salt Lake City for a few years and it's a nice place. They never pushed their faith on me so they're cool with me

·
Registered
594 Posts
I grew up in Salt Lake City (Mormon central for those who don't know) and that is where I had a blast with Halloween as a kid. More celebrating of the season/holiday than anywhere else I have lived. So, not too surprising to hear.
I too grew up in Salt Lake City, Murray to be exact. My father is mormon, I am not. Utah had the best Haunted Houses anywhere. Those Mormons love a good scare! My favorite was the Haunted Old Mill. You can google the images, very creepy haunt. It has long been retired but still, my best Halloween memories were from Utah. Halloween is big in Utah!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just explain to anyone who has a problem with Halloween that it is an accepted tradition among the Spanish and Catholic peoples. We Catholics celebrate All Soul's Day and All Saint's Day -- it is a required day of obligation in my church. This is almost always acceptable to any religious groups/sects.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts