Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lowe's to pick up a few things and found myself wandering the store looking for things that I may be able to use for Halloween.

Keep in mind; I went there for one extra board I need to finish a desk drawer for my wife. She's been wanting me to finish said drawer for two years. I keep building Halloween props, and I completed an entire addition to the house, but I still haven't finished her drawer. Anyway . . .

While walking through the acreage that is Lowes, I found myself in the aisle where they keep assorted sizes of sheet metal. I saw the metal sheets and immediately thought, "Hey, if I could find the right sized sheet of metal, I could set up a motor and make my own thunder rumble sheet. I could hang the sheet of metal in the tower, sync it up with the bright flash from a big lightning strobe, and CRASH!! Oh, that would be so cool!"

The whole time I'm having this parade of thought in my head, I'm pulling various sheets of metal from the rack and shaking them violently to see which one might sound the most like thunder. It never occurred to me, being so lost in thought that I might be disturbing other patrons of the store.

Right when I thought I may have found a suitable sheet of metal to make a most wonderful, thunderous roar, a young man in a vest came up and asked, "Sir, would you please stop doing that?" He was very polite about it, and the skinny youth was apologetic in his demeanor, but it was enough of an interruption to stop my Thor impression and look around.

That's when I noticed the people staring back at me from the ends of the aisle, the toddler in the cart clapping enthusiastically, and the elderly couple looking at hinges -- seeming to not have heard a thing.

Not knowing how to explain myself to this employee, or the strangers gathered around me (that crazy person) I quietly slid the sheet of metal back on to it's shelf, said, "sorry" to the employee, and pushed my cart away quickly -- which was easy to do with the wide birth other shoppers where now giving me.

After that, I decided my time at Lowes was done for the day and headed straight for the register. Keeping my embarrassed gaze solely on the contents of my cart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wow, I think I would have thanked the guy & told him I'd be going to Home Depot to pick up the sheet metal you needed.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Geeze when I saw this thread I thought you were asked to stop building your props out in sight of potential buyers next door...LOL!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
LOL OK this thread made me laugh out loud!!! I could just see you there all hunched over shaking your sheet metal swept away in the thought of how this sound was going to amaze the trick or treaters:) That was great, thanks for sharing:)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I live in a small town so I think the local hardware store is used to my "crazy projects"...The people at Fastenal (Think Grainger) at the other end of town LOVE my projects and can't wait to see me again to learn what I'm building next....I could amagine all the crazy stuff they say after I leave...As long as it's entertainment, I guess I'm happy:D...ZR

·
Registered
55 Posts
You shouldn't have felt embarrassed. You were shopping for a specific sound coming from a product they sell. It's no worse than the weekend home warrior who takes up a whole aisle with a cart ( sometimes two ), his brat kids screaming and his [email protected]$$ wife . He's asking a kid how to install their product. What he don't know is the kid is just as dumb as him...he's only worked there a month. He worked at Dollar General for the past two years.

Man am I ever bitter LOL!!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
That's nothing to be embarrassed about TK..

the kid was doing his job, and a simple, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb the other customers should have sufficed. Heck, you shoulda asked the onlookers which one made the best sound.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought this post was going to be about the neighbors and the house that is for sale! Ha!

I used to work at Lowe's for many years and I saw all kinds of strange stuff. I bet you the kid's first impression was you were looking to "rough up" the sheet metal hoping to get a discount. It may sound crazy but it happened all too often.

Being that we know your thought process and such and what your ultimate use was, there was virtually no way in hell you were going to damage the sheet metal to the point it would have to be reduced in price in order to sell.

Or quite possibly he just straightened up the sheet metal stock and was upset that you may have mixed up all the pieces and put them back into the wrong slots. Who knows?

No worries. Good story but I would have loved to seen you trying to explain to him your use for the sheet metal in your thunder machine.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You shouldn't have felt embarrassed. You were shopping for a specific sound coming from a product they sell. It's no worse than the weekend home warrior who takes up a whole aisle with a cart ( sometimes two ), his brat kids screaming and his [email protected]$$ wife . He's asking a kid how to install their product. What he don't know is the kid is just as dumb as him...he's only worked there a month. He worked at Dollar General for the past two years.

Man am I ever bitter LOL!!
HA! I feel your pain. I try very hard not to go to Lowes (or Home Depot) on the weekend. I really get annoyed with the above mentioned "weekend home warrior who takes up a whole aisle with a cart ( sometimes two ), his brat kids screaming . . . "

I'm lucky to have befriended a few smart people at my local Lowes. I have two guys I usually go to when I have questions, and they're both extremely knowledgeable. Many years building many, many things.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's nothing to be embarrassed about TK..

the kid was doing his job, and a simple, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb the other customers should have sufficed. Heck, you shoulda asked the onlookers which one made the best sound.
I should of!!!

I wasn't embarressed about making the thunder -- just that fact that I was so lost in trying to find the "right sound".

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
How big are these sheet metal pieces? I need one that is five feet by 7 feet. Not for Halloween though. Bummer.

I actually have the thought run through my head to make thunder every time I take the aluminum piece out of the front of a dishwasher. Now that I have heard your story I wonder what the neighbors think because I "test" it out every time I take one out. :)

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Hey, at least you had someone paying attention to you... my gf and I went into home depot to buy a chandelier for our haunt, and it literally took us 20 minutes to get someone to help us. I must of asked 10 associates (when I could actually FIND one) if someone could help us (the chandelier we wanted a price on wasn't on display, but WAS up on the shelf up high)....

We DID end up getting the chandelier clearanced out (we couldn't convince them to clearance it for $.01 since it wasn't even in the system), but we did manage to get them to drop the price to $75. We later found the EXACT same chandelier online for $225... so we felt like we got a good deal....still irritated me that it took SOOOOO long.

Next time, I'll just go grab a sheet of metal and annoy the other patrons.... and when they say "could you please stop", I'll respond with "FANTASTIC, you ARE available to help me... good. I need this..." and point at the object I really need help with...

=)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Been there! I was asked to "stop doing that" by a Home Depot employee for ringing all the largest wind chimes (repeatedly) trying to find just the right "tubular bells" pitch. In case you don't catch the Halloween angle, Tubular Bells was the song from The Exorcist.

Dong,,Dong Dong Dong Dong-Dong, Dong-Dong...

·
Registered
457 Posts
After you FINALLY found the perfect sound you put the sheet back?!

I get really irritated as a woman going into home improvement stores getting stares from employees or inappropriate comments. Recently two older men at Lowes just stood and stared at me, obviously amused that I was shopping for a plumber's auger and being of no help. They couldn't even answer my questions and I got the "well little lady" tone. I have been asked by a guy at Home Depot what I was looking for: insulation, what for: refinish a closet, why my boyfriend wasn't the one fixing it: not his project and do I have any piercings anywhere else: none of your god d*mn business. So irritating.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts