Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

So like the title says i really wanted to keep this a secret and then unveiled it right before halloween but i need help. I am making a hopefully to scale Pumpkin King Scarecrow modeled directly from the one in the movie the Nightmare before christmas. I bought a figurine of the pumpkin king that was an exact replica of the one used in the video and i'd be a liar if i didn't say it looks practically identical. I took measurements of the entire thing and decided to go ahead and make him. I have no idea how it will turn out or if it will even be a part of the 09 halloween display but i am making him.

Here is where my dilema is. I want to create a scarecrow that can be used year after year. So i am using a Giant funkin head, foam, and PVC so that i can take it down every year and store it without worrying about anything falling apart over the years and making as little mess as possible.

So how can i make something out of foam to look like bundles of straw without using bundles of straw?

Also just to give you an idea as to how big this thing is going to be the head alone is 26" wide and 15" tall the arm span is nearly 18' from finger tip to finger tip and it is almost 13' tall.

thanks

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I was thinking the same thing The Pod said but here's another version:

Glop an approximate size you need of Great Stuff foam on some straw and throw some more straw over the top before it dries. That stuff is super sticky when it's still wet.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never heard of Raffia.

What can you tell me about it?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
never heard of Raffia.

What can you tell me about it?
Raffia, like jute or hemp twine, is a natural fiber that can be woven like straw, tied like silk ribbons, or packed like Styrofoam pills. Milliners, crafters, and florists enjoy using the grass-like material for a variety of projects and gifts.

The creamy-brown colored lengths come from a specific palm tree that originally grew only on the island of Madagascar. Raphia farinifera actually has the largest leaves of any palm tree, so it is a logical source for fiber. The fibrous leaves are cut off and torn apart in parallel lines to yield very long strips of raffia. The tree is now cultivated specifically for harvest and export in East Africa, as well.

Crafters value raffia for being soft, durable, and easy to dye. It can take the place of cord, grass, leaves, fabric, ribbon, stuffing, floral string, and even paper. A wide variety of hats, mats, baskets, bags, and twine are made from natural raffia. Often, it is invaluable to outdoor projects because it doesn't shrink with moisture, yet is pliable enough to weave.

I bought a small "bale" of it at Michaels and hot glued it to my daughters scarecrow outfit. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or not at Michaels

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to look into it. Thanks scatterbrains!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Rafia is fantastic stuff for fall decorations and scarecrows. You can buy it year round online - don't know when Michaels carries it.

I would order some hula skirts ($4.75 ea) and use them. The hula skirts are going to give you nice long strands.

This is just one link with one example. I'm sure you can do a search and find many alternatives -- possibly even better prices:
Haga's party Supplies - Hula Skirts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another good idea

Thanks!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Id say scatterbrains and TK421 have the way to go. The hula skirts can be taken apart just be sure you get the ones that are more straw like, some hula skirts look like straw but are palstic. Good luck and I cant wait to see how it turns out:)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yep, I say go with the rafia as well.
That is a good ideas about the hula skirts. Check paper and party supply stores.

·
Super Moderator
5,661 Posts
Rafia is fantastic stuff for fall decorations and scarecrows. You can buy it year round online - don't know when Michaels carries it.

I would order some hula skirts ($4.75 ea) and use them. The hula skirts are going to give you nice long strands.

This is just one link with one example. I'm sure you can do a search and find many alternatives -- possibly even better prices:

Depending on how much you need, table skirts are more economical than skirts for large quantities.

I found Table Skirts for $5 last year at the end of July in JoAnnes.

Last year, Micheals and JoAnnes got the skirts in around May, and they went on sale at the end of June, super clearance by the end of July.

Micheals has just bundles of loose rafia in their flower section year round.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts

I went to party city yesterday and they had a sale on this stuff. Hula skirts,
table skirts and a bunch of tiki stuff.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to check the stores around here and see what they have.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Look at "Oriental Trading Company", among their raffia table decorations and hula skirts, they sell a plastic raffia. I'm not sure if it is the exact look you'll want, but it would be more weather resistant than real raffia.

You can check your local hardware stores for a light beige plastic twine, maybe.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
The only problem I can see with using rafia is that it's very limp and flexible, unlike straw. You'll probably need some sort of armature underneath each bundle to keep it looking stiff.

Sounds like this is gonna turn out really cool. Keep us updated!
I think Big Nick was planning on using the PVC piping ase the skeletal structure for support, the straw is ornementation to achieve the "Pumpkin King" look. Something like these pics:

·
Registered
591 Posts
That will look awesome!So why not straw?you can buy bales of it for around 5-7.00 feed stores,farmers,call the county extension service.after you make it spray it with poly to make it last.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I went to party city yesterday and they had a sale on this stuff. Hula skirts,
table skirts and a bunch of tiki stuff.
Yep...check the party stores....

Lotsa luau themed stuff in them this time of year...which means the hula skirts should be plentiful

1 - 20 of 28 Posts