Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last halloween was great but my kids didnt enjoy it nearly as much as I did, plus Im losing my haunt house. I had already decided to put up some of my props on ebay... that was until I came here today. After browsing the posts and looking at pics I got motivated again!!! (Im sure hubby will be thrilled to hear that! NOT) LOL I could try an outside haunt this yr. I have a fenced back yard or a large concrete driveway I could use. It wouldnt have to be as big or complicated as the haunt house was............ Hmmmm.... I can feel the rusty wheels in my head spinning :D

Thanks for the motivational boost!!! I needed it :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
their is always something you can do or create big or small to feed your halloween needs and craving ;) their is alot of things you can do outside even if it is just a display , kids and halloween fans will still enjoy and apreciate the time you took to make it :)

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
A couple years ago, I got frustrated with all of it. I was basically doing everything on my own and all the people that promised their help were a bunch of no shows. I thought next year I was not going to do it. But as time went, my friend came thru to give me the help I needed. Since then he has come over every year to help. It's amazing what a little support will do.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I've been fortunate so far My family is into helping with the haunt and those who have said they would help have followed through. I can foresee a day though when it may not be so easy, I hope I get the same kind of recharge you have gotten Newbie!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Heck ya go for it.....with Halloween on Sat. this year we are going all out and expanding further into our backyard woods........it should be an all day party late into the night. My only concern is all the adult party's around here may steal some of our #'s away but we'll advertise heavy and promote it big.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Glad to see you didn't give up!!! I would miss the terrified looks on the tots if i didn't do this anymore. i would still do something even if it was small to get a reaction from the tots. even if i had to sit in a chair with some pumpkins next to me just to scare them and here their little screams. which is how i got started in all this.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Stick with it NewbieHaunter. We live on a hill in SoCal, so we probably have one of the smallest foot prints here, but we fill it up. See the link to our pics in my sig.

Not trying to tell you how to raise your kids here, but this worked for me...

My son went through a phase where he was kind of burned out on the haunt too. I started asking him for more ideas - around this time of the year too - and by the time it was time to start construction, enough of his ideas were good enough we included them and he felt more "ownership" in the haunt and worked to achieve his vision. Improved our relationship at the same time.

The trick is that for even the ... unacceptable... ideas you tell them you understand what they are going for with that idea and that you are adding it to the list of projects from which "WE" will pick for the haunt. If you start early enough, there will be enough good ideas to push the not-so-good ideas down the list until there's not enough time to get to them. The kids won't care, because you ARE using some of their ideas and they are more involved. I always make my son draw his ideas before we add them to the list. In fact, the kids will start to develop their good ideas at your encouragement and loose interest in the bad ones.

FWIW

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its funny that you should post that because my son (15) just suggested that he'd rather have a party at the barn than a haunt. So I guess this yr a party it will be, of course I'll still have a haunted yard on halloween for the tots ;) Anyone got suggestions for a teen/tween party around the ages of 12-16????

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its funny that you should post that because my son (15) just suggested that he'd rather have a party at the barn than a haunt. So I guess this yr a party it will be, of course I'll still have a haunted yard on halloween for the tots ;) Anyone got suggestions for a teen/tween party around the ages of 12-16????

Yep we went through exactly the same thing about the same age. So we included the house (Barn in your case) as an extention of the haunt. Gave him more oportunity for suggestions and the cool haunt outside sets up the party nicely - in our case anyway. If you look at the 05 / 06 album, there are pics of the inside of the house set up for the parties. Before 05 we either didn't take pics or took vids that are so dark you can't see the subject.

My son is 19, in a local college, and passed on a party last year for the first time in many years. But he helped me more on the haunt - work and ideas - than ever before. No guarantees for your clan, could be we're just a little bit wierd. :D

BTW, no, I don't own any stock in Scene Setters, but I use a lot of it because it's fast, easy and sets a nice mood at night in low light.

·
Reaper Queen
8,796 Posts
Hey Newbie, glad you aren't giving up on halloween, a yard haunt can be fun too, and now a party, I would search the party section under teen parties, there will be lots of great ideas on there!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts