Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided not to put as much effort into Halloween this seaon, why? Well, last year was our biggest year ever, it took us almost a week to fully set up, we had 1000+ TOTs visit, and we stayed active until almost midnight, even my kids who usually aren't too enthusiastic about Halloween had a blast! And after all that work and after how exhausted we where, I think it's time to take a short break. Maybe one year I'll start building extravagant displays again, but for now I think I'll just take it easy.

I'm also not going to buy or build anything for awhile because storage is a bloody nightmare. :eek:

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Even with what we've done is the past we have taken a break before. Sometimes it becomes necessary to step back and take a break.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
But you really must do what makes you happy. That is the key.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I completely support this idea.

Do not allow something you love to become a chore or an obligation.
Halloween doesn't require massive displays and interactive scenes. Don't get me wrong, those things are seriously kickin', but a dim house with creepy music and a few leering pumpkins easily summons the spirits of the season. I think you can have a fantastic Halloween without exhausting yourself, and though a few visiting trick-or-treaters may say they miss your previous efforts, they are still gonna be very happy to find you at your door, no doubt.

Something a number of members here struggle with is the "less than massive" Halloween celebration. Oftentimes, this forum focuses so much on huge, detailed displays that many members who want to indulge in simpler crafts and decorating feel a little guilty if they don't go all out.
They write almost apologetic messages on this board if they decide that they need to tone down for financial reasons, or time constraints or stress, what have you.

Don't ever feel that way.

Halloween in America really took off during the Depression, when a solitary Jack O' Lantern guarded the porch, when costumes were homemade paper mache masks and burnt cork, combined with old clothes and bed sheets. Treats, composed of apples, nuts and handmade candy, were collected in pillowcases or grocery bags. The holiday may thrive with large scenes and amazing props and effects, but it never needed those things. It doesn't require great stuff or monster mud, duct tape or sheets of foam.

Halloween is candlelight on a cloudy day, the smell of toasted pumpkin and the taste of warm apple cider. It's watching an old horror film, biting into a candy bar, singing spooky songs and telling ghost stories. It's wondering what is waiting on the porch when the doorbell rings, laughing with friends and family and embracing all things dreary for a time.

I support all my fellow ghouls, no matter how much or little they do.
Carry on, Penumbra.

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,868 Posts
Halloween is candlelight on a cloudy day, the smell of toasted pumpkin and the taste of warm apple cider. It's watching an old horror film, biting into a candy bar, singing spooky songs and telling ghost stories. It's wondering what is waiting on the porch when the doorbell rings, laughing with friends and family and embracing all things dreary for a time.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. Do what you need to do to keep your spirit alive in this

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
agreed. Halloween doesn't require huge display's. Even as big and locally famous as i have gotten, i still took some time off for my youngest son's first couple of years because i wanted to see him TOT. As haunters whether locally or nationally known, sometimes (including myself) we get wrapped up in being famous for a night or a month, so we feel the need to outdo ourselves every year. Which eventually gets so big where you start to miss out on the little things. A lot of sacrifice goes into this mainly family time and money. A lot of use don't get to our kids TOT because were running our haunts, or we give up family time to go tinker in the garage. So take some time to enjoy the little things that Halloween has to offer.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Go with whatever feels right to you, and if that means scaling back, no biggie. Personally, I am always glad to see someone put at least some effort into Halloween, which is far better than none (often the case in more wealthy areas, it seems). I probably will not be able to do anything from this point on, at least for the foreseeable future, regarding outdoor decorating (and possibly passing out candy), but that does not mean that I will not decorate the inside, even if simply for myself.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The only advice I have for scaling back is to keep what the TOTs love best. When I cut back due to the perfect storm of health issues, weather, and scheduling - I didn't bother with a costume. I figured the treats were all the kids were after. Boy, was I wrong! Turns out, the TOTs really enjoyed my dressing up and playing the scary greeter. Who knew?!

So even when you tone it down, try to keep the elements the kids love best. It's not always about big.

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your support guys. I am still going to put some stuff out, I love Halloween too much not to do anything. But nothing I can't just set up on Halloween. :)

Reactions: Grey Lady

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Same here. My kids are getting older and a few years from now I will probably be hurting for helpers and actors.

My house is bursting with Halloween. Open and cabinet or closet and you will find something Halloween related.

We are thinking of toning down the yard display and concentrating on our walkthrough. Each year weather brings days of repair and replacement. It sounds so tempting to scale down the display and save myself those 3am display checks.

We are the only house that does anything for Halloween in the neighborhood. Seriously, we were so excited last year when we saw a neighbor put a plastic ghost in his tree! Anything we do looks over the top here.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm going balls to the wall this year. With Halloween on Saturday night this year, I'm going to give them a show. However. next year, with leap year, Halloween will be on Monday. That's the year I'll scale back. Hubby want's to take a break in 2016. If we do, I'll post a sign this year telling people. I think everyone needs a break now and then. It keeps us fresh. I would say it keeps us from going crazy, but I think it's to late for that. :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Tone it down if you must, but remember Oct. 31st is Saturday this year. By word of mouth, with the numbers you had last year, what do you think will happen this year ? It is surprising to hear that Halloween is a chore to some, to me it's a getaway from work and the everyday trials and tribulations that take place. It's fun,I enjoy the people who come by during October as I begin to setup, to watch and ask questions about what will be new this year. Making new props relaxes me and sets the tone for what is to come. It literally brings my stress level down because of my job.
I might tone it down next year with Halloween being on a Monday because of leap year but this year LOOK OUT !:cool:

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,634 Posts
After 2013, we vowed we were going to scale way back, having done an ever growing walk through, which, while fun, was a ton of work. Well that plan went down the crapper and we actually went bigger, constructing a 12x24 building in our driveway in addition to our front yard display. It was epic. We plan to do the same this year with a different theme, although the day of scaling back to just a front yard display is coming in the not too distant future. I echo the sentiments expressed here by many; do whatever is manageable and fun for YOU! If it becomes so much of a chore that it's no longer enjoyable then what's the point? A modest front yard display with a few tombstones, skeletons, bats, jack o lanterns and some mood lighting would be perfect and so much more than anyone else in your neighborhood does anyway. Never let the work involved outweigh the enjoyment you're supposed to have on Halloween.

Reactions: printersdevil

·
Registered
703 Posts
Tone it down if you must, but remember Oct. 31st is Saturday this year. By word of mouth, with the numbers you had last year, what do you think will happen this year ? It is surprising to hear that Halloween is a chore to some, to me it's a getaway from work and the everyday trials and tribulations that take place. It's fun,I enjoy the people who come by during October as I begin to setup, to watch and ask questions about what will be new this year. Making new props relaxes me and sets the tone for what is to come. It literally brings my stress level down because of my job.
I might tone it down next year with Halloween being on a Monday because of leap year but this year LOOK OUT !:cool:
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts