Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my amazement, I still have a pumpkin on my porch that has not gone rotten...and yes, this is one that I purchased well before Halloween.

So, I'm looking at mid-October to mid-February so far...about 6 months, and counting.
As we've just had a series of rain storms, and some cooler weather, I'm wondering how much longer it can make it.

So, a couple of trivial questions:
Does anyone else have a pumpkin surviving?
What's the longest you've managed to have one remain?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does anyone else have a pumpkin surviving?
My husband spent $25 on a pumpkin that's been sitting in our house since early October. I just moved it outside this weekend. I've been telling him to do something with it for MONTHS now.

What's the longest you've managed to have one remain?
I bought a pumpkin early October one year and couldn't find the time to carve it. It ended up turning into a pile of mush on the kitchen floor in April. (I was in college at the time.)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Hey Ugly Joe, are you the dude in my town that drives around with a dead Christmas tree strapped to the roof of his car in August? :p

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I tossed a pumpkin in the trash a week ago...it was buried under snow and we had a lil thaw...it probably could have survived a while longer, but I was told we had company coming and then given the look....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I still have a good-sized pumpkin in my living room and a few pumpkin shaped gourds in the dining room.

In summer of 2007 I grew several pumpkin vines but ended up with one small lumina (white) pumpkin. That pumpkin sat in my kitchen in good shape until sometime around August of2008!

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Mine last year stuck aorund till about may. I didn't notice it had rotted until I saw it was drooping and when I picked it up it was all mush on my carpet. That took for ever to get out :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
I still have one in my living room. I had one last year that I finally decided to cut open and get the seeds out in March. It was still in perfect shape, but I didn't want to take the chance of it rotting in the house. The seeds were perfectly fine. My mom had a pumpkin that lasted until the summer.

Pumpkins are amazing creatures. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
GDFreak, I can completely relate. One of the first years in our house I bought a few pumpkins and put them in our frontroom on the beise carpet. There were only their for about a week when I went to pick one up and it had rotted on the bottom. I still have the stain and it's been about 12 years! Even the pro's have not gotten it clean.

Ugly, I'm thinking you don't have squirrels around. They naw on ours.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
No surviving pumpkins this year, we ended up with less and then they all were carved. Last year we had one that was on the porch till winter thawed out. It probably just froze over the winter, but as soon as it got to be 40F it turned into a pile of smelly goop.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Us too!! OEJ got a big pumpkin before Halloween for 3 or 4 dollars and here it sits in my living room no sign of rot at all yet.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Amazing to hear how long some of those pumpkins last.
I don't know if I'd have the courage to keep it indoors, as when they begin to rot, they go quick.

This one isn't carved, is not in danger of squirrels (we don't have any close enough to be a threat), and as we're in SoCal, doesn't get buried in snow or frozen...ever, really.

I keep it out on the porch, across from my partial skeleton on a pole.
I think, by the way, that the partial skelly is keeping the Witnesses from approaching my house. I haven't had a single one come knock on the door since before Halloween.

So, pumpkin and bones...I'm a happy guy.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Maybe it's the humidity (or lack of it) that keeps them going so long..? I've never tried to keep one and would probably have complaints from Madame Samedi about them attracting vermin and such if I did..Mind you, I feel a "mummification" experiment coming on...:)

As for them keeping witnesses away..we don't need them. Not now anyway.

Last year, on the weekend before Halloween my son and I were doing a "dress rehearsal" in the back yard, setting up and checking props etc. The neighbours kids took an interest in the proceedings and it ended up with my son in his Micheal Myers costume, round the front of their house scaring them witless by peering through the front windows while I was attempting to put together props.

I heard somebody coming up the front path and, thinking it was #1 son, yelled out of the open door:
"Jason!!. will you stop ****ing about trying to kill the neighbours kids and help me screw granny into her rocking chair..the b**ch keeps sliding out!!"

No answer...

Looking out of the door I see a well groomed young chappie carrying the obligatory satchel doing a walk-run-walk routine back down the path, which broke into a full trot as "Michael" appeared over the fence.

We never did get our copy of "Watchtower" and we've never had one since..:D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I tossed mine on the porch a few weeks ago but it was pretty bad. It had been spray painted black so it may have lasted longer if it could breath a bit better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have two in our dinning room from about three weeks before Halloween. I thought for sure they wouldn't make it to Halloween, but their they are in perfect shape. They are on metal plant stands.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts