Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craigslist can be a great way to buy/sell stuff but I don't understand why a seller treated me badly today. I contacted them yesterday afternoon for 3 Halloween blow molds within 4 hours of the posting. Seller said I was the first to contact them & she would hold them for me until I could get them this morning at 10:30 am (she chose this time but told me I had better show up because there was another buyer that really wanted them). I had given the seller my cell number & everything, assuring them I'd show up, was polite in all my emails, never indicating I was going to pull a no show. Checked my messages this morning (I had even emailed her around 7 am this morning to let her know I needed the address) & she had sold them around 8 am to someone else. :(:(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well that does suck. But as a seller, I do understand that sometimes unloading on the first to show up is way safer than waiting for someone who doesn't show up. And I have had completely normal exchanges go awry at the last minute so ya never know.

She went with "better safe than sorry". But that does suck for you.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,671 Posts
They just wanted money and the stuff gone and didn't really care about some stranger's inconvenience or anything. Likely the other buyer offered them more money too. If they've been burned in the past, they probably figured they'd see if the higher money offer showed up and just tell you you are out of luck, but if they were a no-show, they still had you as a backup buyer. It's all money, nothing personal. Some folks just aren't honest or have any integrity - and I mean that as it could be about the buyer or the seller. You never know if that is the seller's just being a jerk or because they've been taken advantage of so much by jerky buyers, that they don't trust any offers to buy any more.

Sigh.

I just know that if it's something I really want, contact immediately and go get it ASAP if you don't want it sold out from under you. :(

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I get your frustration but as someone who has recently had a very frustrating craigslist experience as a seller, I get where she is coming from too. It seems some people have no life and get a kick out of setting up sellers to waste their time and lose potential sales by answering ads and being oh so eager to buy their item and then leave them hanging. I honestly lost count of how many "buyers" did this to me last month when I was trying to make room for my new living room furniture. Two solid weeks of that nonsense taught me to take the first money that comes along. No holds, no promises. It's a shame it has to be this way but I no longer fault sellers for using this tactic. Sorry you lost out though!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All completely valid points. I usually will be driving right over when I want to buy something but she wasn't available until after 9 pm, dark, & in a not so great neighborhood.

I've dealt with so many no shows over the years that I can understand both sides of it.

Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I feel sorry for those selling on E-Bay. Years ago we sold a 57 Cadillac hearse.
"You get the highest bid, you come and get it-No delivery."
"I know you said, "No Delivery, but could you deliver it to us?"
"No!" (It would have been from Illinois to the East coast, that's all. )
For $1,200 there would be no delivering it. "Duh!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts