Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of some cheap but powerful powered speakers?

I am using sound controllers this year for two of my props.
Right now I am playing them through a cheap set of computer speakers. The sound is just ok but very canned.
I have a combination of screams, snake sounds, and pounding.
Playing these sounds through the computer speakers sounds really canned.
I want a good loud sound to scare people!!!
I don't really need surround sound either since the sound clips are mono.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It has been my expierience that computer speakers are much more dynamic if you get a set that has the sub woofer. Volume seems much louder and the low notes are much more believable. I have had great luck with the Altec Lansing setups and you can find these speakers at yard sales for $10 - $15 a set. Just make sure they come with a wall wart. These speaker systems are plenty loud but the sound has to have been recorded at the proper volume levels. Anyone else out there have success with these type of setups?

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Have to agree the subwoof does make a lot of difference. Also different speakers do sound better than others. Yes the cheap $1.99 computer speakers usually sound very canned, but you can find some that do sound ok for a cheap price.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Yes, the computer ones with the powered subwoofer are the best. I have a set of Logitech speakers that I used last year for my Vampire in Coffin and this year using it for Terra. Here's a link to it. Paid $50: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=us,en

I just put an order in with Fright Props to try their set of powered two speaker set up and a horn-type speaker. I'm hoping these will work as well. The drag with the two speaker and subwoofer set-up is the space it takes and all the wires.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am currently using a set of Insignia computer speakers with a subwoofer.
They are only 14 watts total output for the speakers and sub so I guess wattage is everything.
I am looking at a set of Creative speakers with sub at 29 total watts. They are about $40.
I just don't want to keep spending money and end up with speakers that sound like @#$%@#$%

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terra
I see the Logitech X-240'a are 50 watts. $54 at Best Buy.
Do you think those are worth it? I am not so worried about the wires. I can hide all of that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terra
One of the reviews on the Logitech X-240's said they pick up radio signals and are not shielded very good. Have you had that experience with them?

·
Registered
139 Posts
We use these speakers made by Pyle (although if you buy enough they will put your name on them). They have an 8" low end driver and a 1" dome tweet. They are powered and have a level control on the input. They also have a mic input. They have a built in 50W RMS amp inside and are quite loud. They go for I think less than $250.00, but I'm not sure of the exact cost. They have become a workhorse speaker for almost all of our haunt clients. We even make a model with a foot switch trigger input and built in digital sound card. E mail me if you want details.

Bill.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Amplified speakers...

eBay search for "guitar amp"tons out there......Walmart and Target sells guitar amps for $30 to $60 depending on wattage output....these are the SAME / SIMILAR ones that the big guns "Distortions" uses for their props...I use them for EVERY prop I have, as they have tone / gain controls and volume controls for the output...very sturdy and LOUD and clear....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
craigsrobotics
Guitar amps - that's the best idea yet.
There is a music pawn shop right around the corner.
Tons of cheap guitar amps in there.
Leaving now to go there!!!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
Guitar amps will be your best bet. They have only 1 speaker in them, but it is made to handle highs and lows at the same time. They can also be pricey if not bought used. Every pawn shop around will have them though. Great for replicating the sounds you need. 2nd choice is the comp speakers with the sub. Gotta have bass. I had a show truck and have a vast assortment of speakers and amps that I use. But I have wires all over that I have to hide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts