Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do a headless horseman.
I want him to hold a sword.
I have found gripping hands. But I want him to have gloves. and I dont think those hands would fit in gloves.

So I need something that I can put a glove on then bend the fingers around the sword.
I remember making hands from wood with wire hanger and platic tubing for fingers.
But I thought I'd ask here if someone has a better method. or maybe a cheap product out there.

another thought was the wooden artists hand model. But I dont know how much tension is on those fingers. could they hold a very light weight sword or would they flop open.

also thought about getting a cheap cut off hand and putting wires in those but dont know how I would secure the wires so they dont fall out of place.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Search the forums, there are a few cool tricks out there.

I use the PVC/Wire/Tape method. Depends on how heavy the sword is for your needs.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Ditto what Terra said. Most of my props that "hold" things aren't holding them with their hands at all. It's typically much stronger to attach the prop that the prop will be holding to the prop's arm, and put the hand over the prop....prop, prop, prop ;)
I hope you get what I mean
Dang, Mr. Chicken, first time I read that I had to ask myself, "Am I drunk already?" :p

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Ah, so I need to make a propping up the prop, prop!
Well, I want to prop you up here. We are not talking about a propping up using a prop (that would be silly). Airplane parts wouldn't work here. No, we want you to prop up the prop's arm prop, then prop up the prop's hand prop, so the hand prop can prop up the sword prop and prop up the glove prop. All this together would make all the propping of the prop lead to a terrific prop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes I agree with Terra youll have to anchor it to its arm unless its a styrofoam sword. E-bay has hands for .99 bid. that are like bucky hands, there possable. e-bay skeleton hands search

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Well, I want to prop you up here. We are not talking about a propping up using a prop (that would be silly). Airplane parts wouldn't work here. No, we want you to prop up the prop's arm prop, then prop up the prop's hand prop, so the hand prop can prop up the sword prop and prop up the glove prop. All this together would make all the propping of the prop lead to a terrific prop.
...ibuprofen please...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some good ideas. This is a method I used with great success:

-cut wire hangers to the length of the fingertip to the top of the glove for each finger. Insert the wires into the fingers and thumb (I usually duct tape them to a pvc pipe section near the top of the glove). Now fill with spray foam, working the foam into the fingers. After letting it sit for about 24 hours, form the hands around the object. Now let it dry completely. This will take a few days for the spray foam to completely harden. This works well for blown plastic type knives and swords and looks like a realistic grip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts