Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year, I am adding a few pumpkin sentinels to the haunt, because...pumpkin sentinels...do I really need explain?

Anyway, what's got me flummoxed (yeah I said that too) is how to light these 6 foot tall harbingers of evil.

I'd like to do some dramatic colored uplighting, but the top of my drive is pretty far from any powersource (evil isn't a viable source yet is it?) so my question to you is, what is a good reliable batttery powere flood or spot light to shine on my squash headed guardians?

Or is there a better way than just using spots?

I am open to anything here.

Thank you!

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
probably not what you're looking for ... but an option is a ups for 120vac lighting ... but you probably don't have a spare that you're not using

anyways you probably want leds for low power consumption ... there are many here that are more qualified than me in that regard, so i'll bow to their expertise

don't forget, we want pics :)

amk

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Well, the best ones aren't cheap but there are some pretty darn good solar LED spot lights available these days. Check out your local home improvement store.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought some of these little guys. Came with clips and I was surprised they were decently bright. Like 14 dollars or something like that for 12 in 4 different colors. They might work. I think the blue look great. Not the best tuff design but I'm confident after receiving them I will buy more. Going to also do the mini flashlight with the plastic film for color others suggested in my thread. Not super bright but I am sold on them for added close up lighting. They might do the trick if you don't need super bright lights. There's 4 colors and I believe you can choose the one you want in single colors also.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
I bought some of these little guys. Came with clips and I was surprised they were decently bright. Like 14 dollars or something like that for 12 in 4 different colors. They might work. I think the blue look great. Not the best tuff design but I'm confident after receiving them I will buy more. Going to also do the mini flashlight with the plastic film for color others suggested in my thread. Not super bright but I am sold on them for added close up lighting. They might do the trick if you don't need super bright lights. There's 4 colors and I believe you can choose the one you want in single colors also.
View attachment 203032
View attachment 203033
View attachment 203034
Care to share a link to them?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
^^^^^ I didn't realize that-however, I did notice they looked quite similar. By the way, the picture showing the light aimed at my closet door is close to 5 feet away. These will be pretty useful as they are compact and battery operated. I wonder if the stealth light is brighter due to the bigger battery pack. These just use what look like small watch batteries.

·
Registered
668 Posts
^^^^^ I didn't realize that-however, I did notice they looked quite similar. By the way, the picture showing the light aimed at my closet door is close to 5 feet away. These will be pretty useful as they are compact and battery operated. I wonder if the stealth light is brighter due to the bigger battery pack. These just use what look like small watch batteries.
I believe the watch batteries are still 1.5 volts each. The mah in a AA battery would be higher essentially giving a longer run time. A simple hack to the light and you could use any power supply or battery as long as the voltage remains close.

Edit: Just looked up the mah rating of the button cell batteries used in this. They are in fact 1.5 volt, and range from 40-60 mah. A standard AA or AAA battery is 1.5 volts with a much higher mah rating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not only is it allowed, I don't know where most of us would be without sharing links!

Thank you...out of curiosity, do you know how long the lights last on a single battery?

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
They look very similar to lights that were really popular a few years back, that people were buying from Jack's Tool Shed. I bought a bunch and they were pretty cool for some stuff.

I think the blue lights lasted quite well - I'm not 100% sure but I think they lasted the night...maybe 4 hours? The red and green didn't last as long. The intensity would drop significantly after about an 90 minutes I think?

There's a few threads around here about them. Here's the first one I remember.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/91435-awesome-color-led-lights-great-price.html

And Shockwave 199 did some great testing with the lights in this thread...http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/92294-pics-new-led-pin-lights-everyones-buying.html

There was also another thread kicking around where someone hacked them to run off larger battery packs with little hunks of dowel and thumbtacks for the contacts. (or maybe it was to connect them to a wall wart. It's been a while.)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have used the Stealth Lights. They work great!

Here is a shot of my haunt using the lights:

I have quite a few of these lights. The battery pack has really extended the life. Most of my lights have run for over three seasons.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

I have quite a few of these lights. The battery pack has really extended the life. Most of my lights have run for over three seasons.
I really like those skeletons throwing a person in the coffin. Great idea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Beautiful work!!

Where did you ever get those skeletons?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any of the home improvement stores have the solar powered landscape lights...u can even paint the lense with a glass paint for different colors. Prices range on how bright you need them to be. We use a few of them on our Royal Palms year round.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The lights from niftymart would average out to be 75 cents a piece. If your even more frugal, dollar tree (assuming other dollar type stores also have them) has them for 1.00 for a four pack. They don't have alligator clips and swivels and are made for finger tips, but are the same other than those differences.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts