Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new the forum and I need some ideas. I've been thinking about what to do this year for months but im still indecisive. I want to incorporate the house as much as possible. I need something extreme, the bigger the better. Any themes you guys think that would work with the house?

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
It would make a great haunted house. With the right outdoor lighting, you can make it look sinister and creepy. Put ghosts and dead people in the windows. Turn the yard into a cemetery. That porch can be utilized for a lifesize prop as well.

There are some amazingly talented people on this forum, and I am sure others will chime in with lots of cool suggestions. Go over to the prop section and explore the how-to area on this forum. You will find lots of pictures and directions for setting up lighting and outdoor decorating.

Good luck and happy haunting!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great house with lots of yard to work with, I have such a small yard in front I would love all this space. I see a witch theme for your house, lots of great lighting and witch props would look great.

I would for sure put a cemetery to the left of the path to the front door. You can build some cemetery columns and fence panels pretty easy, I have some photos in my albums but they can also be found all over this site.

Up lighting the tree in the front yard would look great too.
Lighting up your windows from inside with silhouettes

Maybe some atmosfearfx projected from the inside of the garage.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I am sure you will come up with something great.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey guys, Im new the forum and I need some ideas. I've been thinking about what to do this year for months but im still indecisive. I want to incorporate the house as much as possible. I need something extreme, the bigger the better. Any themes you guys think that would work with the house?
Hello TheoZ....Welcome to the forum!....I would like to start out by saying something extreme, the bigger the better with a couple days left in Aug might not be a good formula.....If your younger (energy) and have plenty of spare time (wife/kids?) and have enough money to quickly buy materials or props to flesh out projects in the next 60 days then sure, why not?.....These are real road blocks for most haunters so realizing these obstacles before your over budget, out of time, and 1 project short of a complete meltdown is crucial....After that I suppose the next question would be do you currently have any props? If so, what are they?....What is your preferred theme?....Everyone has a personal favorite....I like creepy graveyards and haunted mansions....Blood and gore not so much....It's hard to recommend anything without knowing a few of these things first....ZR

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Can't put my fingers on it exactly, but that just looks like it needs spiders.

Maybe a funnel web tunnel up to the door/garage, wherever the candy is.

UnOrthodOx, that's what first popped into my head when I looked at the house photo too! I would use a projector located and maybe hidden partially by the tree in the front yard to project spiders crawling up the house. That's a great very tall ground to roof peak there that demands decorating in a big way. If you're not one for climbing tall ladders and securing things, a projection would definitely be the way to go for that spot.

Spiders on the roof or gutter area where it can be reached, spiders in the front lawn, webbing in that front tree, cocooned victims hanging from the front porch area and maybe one in the tree as well. Prop people scared/screaming in the windows (maybe projections but you'd have to have a few projectors if so and I like the one at the tree location the best).

Use your car/s--trapped victims in the car with spider webbing on the car (pretty sure it won't damage the paint but check first) and small spiders on the car windows on the seats and dash. Should be able to add some battery lit lighting (like even those tap lights as a source) to the interior so people can see the victim/s inside.

If you have skeletons or skeleton animals they can be placed in the yard too as if they were doing something normal but with webbing on them showing they died there and had their flesh consummed before they could escape. Like a skeleton guy clothed and sitting in a lawn chair with a skeleton dog on his lap. Maybe someone could be trying to reach the porch but got webbed.

Using colored lighting on props in the window should cast a cool look on them and catch people's attention. That or go more ominous with those flicker light bulbs in the rooms so the person at the window will only show up when the bulb is flickering on.

I've heard of a house located above a vast snake pit, which is really freaky and true, so why not a house overrun with spiders.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
It sounds to me like you are overthinking it. It doesn't have to be over the top or extreme to be a fantastic Halloween display. Start with one concept that you love, whatever that may be, and go from there. That's how it begins. A big complicated theme is expensive, time-consuming, and overwhelming so don't bother with trying to carry all that out in only two months. Start with one thing you love that says Halloween to you, and everything will fall into place. So, the question is, what is your favorite thing?

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
UnOrthodOx, that's what first popped into my head when I looked at the house photo too! I would use a projector located and maybe hidden partially by the tree in the front yard to project spiders crawling up the house. That's a great very tall ground to roof peak there that demands decorating in a big way. If you're not one for climbing tall ladders and securing things, a projection would definitely be the way to go for that spot.

Spiders on the roof or gutter area where it can be reached, spiders in the front lawn, webbing in that front tree, cocooned victims hanging from the front porch area and maybe one in the tree as well. Prop people scared/screaming in the windows (maybe projections but you'd have to have a few projectors if so and I like the one at the tree location the best).

Use your car/s--trapped victims in the car with spider webbing on the car (pretty sure it won't damage the paint but check first) and small spiders on the car windows on the seats and dash. Should be able to add some battery lit lighting (like even those tap lights as a source) to the interior so people can see the victim/s inside.

If you have skeletons or skeleton animals they can be placed in the yard too as if they were doing something normal but with webbing on them showing they died there and had their flesh consummed before they could escape. Like a skeleton guy clothed and sitting in a lawn chair with a skeleton dog on his lap. Maybe someone could be trying to reach the porch but got webbed.

Using colored lighting on props in the window should cast a cool look on them and catch people's attention. That or go more ominous with those flicker light bulbs in the rooms so the person at the window will only show up when the bulb is flickering on.

I've heard of a house located above a vast snake pit, which is really freaky and true, so why not a house overrun with spiders.
Oh, projecting spiders on the beef netting could get a wicked cool look.

An idea I never fully developed (it was the year everything got destroyed, and the boss wont allow me to start that concept up again), but spider victims...NOT hung, but standing.

Old video game inspiration:

Was testing the motion, not the webbing job, thing swayed back and forth, and head moved around:

The idea was to have some ToT's webbed up and struggling. Candy buckets and all. A little Batman, a little Witch, etc.

Web tunnel:

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
I have 3 arches I could use for this UnOrthodOx. Had thoughts of turning them into a cave covered in black landscape cloth or something like that for a bat cave and at one time the arches were going to be the body of my haunted submarine vessel, but I never considered using them with beef netting on the inside and going the spider route. His webbing inside looks fabulous. Great idea btw. Didn't know what you meant by funnel web (aka tunnel web) in your original post and had imagined something different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, Ya I was thinking the same thing. money isn't a problem and I have plenty of time. I want this to be a big display before I go off to college, I always do a big one but his year im kinda lost. Im not too worried about getting it done in time, I always find a way. I have several big props, I got a giant witch Coldren about 5 ft tall and a giant pumpkin around the same size. I got plenty of par can lights for outside. And fog ofc. I have some fences and columns too. I was thinking about tuning the witches Coldren into a giant spider but idk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any suggestions of projectors, I got a several I put all around the house for window projections but none that I could use for mapping for stacking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YA I totally agree, I do atmosphere fx and uplighting stuff every year. But I've been trying to get the hologram effect but I can very get it the way I want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It sounds to me like you are overthinking it. It doesn't have to be over the top or extreme to be a fantastic Halloween display. Start with one concept that you love, whatever that may be, and go from there. That's how it begins. A big complicated theme is expensive, time-consuming, and overwhelming so don't bother with trying to carry all that out in only two months. Start with one thing you love that says Halloween to you, and everything will fall into place. So, the question is, what is your favorite thing?
This is great advice!! I started with one main project last year even though I wanted to do everything I could find on this site. Just know that you can keep expanding year after year, start with one thing this year and add from there. Picking a theme will really help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oooo I really like the car idea!!! I think ill do that I never thought of that! Any projection videos you would recommend for the spiders?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@hauntedclog I totally agree!!! thanks for the advice. I've been working on haunts for years and have a lot of props and supplies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts