Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a swamp theme. I saw these online and thought it would be a good start. But does anyone know how to make them? I was thinking a stick from outside but a clear coat of paint (to act as a glue) then to sprinkle the "moss" on. Then add the lantern.

Swamp Lights.jpg

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Those look really cool. To make things much simpler, though, another idea is attaching moss to tiki torches... You could even just take some frayed dark green material (maybe even color some creepy cloth, if they do not already sell it in green) and coil/hang it from them in places; using clear fishing line or such, wrap it around and tie a little knot where needed to keep the material in place, and you're done.

F

·
0 Posts

Halloween How-To - Witch's Lanterns

Published on Oct 3, 2012
How to make cool looking Witch Lanterns for your Halloween Witch House or home haunt. This is my interpretation of the Witch Lanterns, inspired by PumpkinRot's originals.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I went ahead and embedded that video into the thread (use use the filmstrip icon for that). That's a great technique!

I was also going to suggest that those sticks look like they have been given the PumpkinRot technique of paper towels and latex. The webby parts looks to me that it was spider webs dipped in latex. I did that for Boogedy and looks to be the same:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'm going with the Voodoo swamp thing this year and I love those!! I may go with Garth's idea and use the tiki torches, i have those already, but i REALLY like look of a real branch. Please keep posting your ideas and projects, I would love to see what you come up with.

And Terra, love Boogedy, he is very cool!!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
those are cool, and would be perfect in a swamp theme. keep us posted how you come out

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Enjoyed tutorial. A great idea with the glass jars and a simple way to use them . Thanks I've got to try that S. K.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went ahead and embedded that video into the thread (use use the filmstrip icon for that). That's a great technique!

I was also going to suggest that those sticks look like they have been given the PumpkinRot technique of paper towels and latex. The webby parts looks to me that it was spider webs dipped in latex. I did that for Boogedy and looks to be the same:

I was thinking about trying your idea and trying to make it look like Boogedy. What kind of spider webbing is it? Where would I be able to get it? Where could i get the 2 quarts of latex? Would I apply the latex first, then the spider webbing?

Is the spider webbing like this?

halloween-skeleton-cobwebs-Photos-o-Randomness[1].jpg $T2eC16FHJIYE9qUcNS((BQ(2pjZ,zg~~60_1[1].jpg

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
You can still use paper if you want. I have made many things out of paper mâché and sealed them. They stood up fine to the elements. You can seal them with a variety of methods. However if you are not comfortable with that I am posting a link to make vines that would also work. They are very cool.

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=20515

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can still use paper if you want. I have made many things out of paper mâché and sealed them. They stood up fine to the elements. You can seal them with a variety of methods. However if you are not comfortable with that I am posting a link to make vines that would also work. They are very cool.

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=20515

Where could I get some liquid latex from? Or whats the good stuff to use? This project is one of the more complex i have ever done.

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
I buy my latex online from Monster Makers. But there are many places you can pick it up. The vine project might look intimidating but I assure you it's not too difficult. I have used this technique to make a variety of different size vines. From the pictures you have posted thus far I think you can easily handle this project.
But like I previously mentioned, if you really don't want to use latex you can seal the vines you have already made in a variety of different ways? keep in mind your torches are supposed to look organic. In other words: not perfect!. If you want to send me a pm I can walk you through a couple of options.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Yes, you use regular webs. Unwind the loops of the webbing and cut into 8" or so long sections. Soak it in latex (I got mine from Fright Theatre) and then apply it while stretching it out over your project and allow to dry. Here's a picture of the webbing ready for latex:

This is a link to the whole Boogedy tutorial for more pictures: http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/642-latexing-corpsing-painting-boogedy-tutorial.html

A funny: Notice how sparkling new my workbench is? I think Boogedy was the first project I built on it (2009). Look at it now:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts