Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rebuilt my pop up to make it a pop out. I have the solenoid going to just one side of the cylinder because gravity pulled it back down when the valve closed. Well now that the cylinder is horizontal it wont work.

So now I need to feed air to each end of the cylinder to reset the prop. I am using the typical spot light motion sensor to activate the solenoid now.
I realize I need a different valve to provide air to the other side of the cylinder. But do I need some sort of electronic controller too (which I can not afford)? Or does the solenoid just redirect to the other side of the cylinder when the sensor is not activated? So air is on one side of the cylinder at all times. Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
All you need is a 5-PORT, 2-POSITION valve. When the solenoid is energized it sends air to one port and when it is off it sends air to the other port. If you add speed controls you can control how fast the cylinder moves in each direction.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is that a dual acting cylinder? In looking at the pic I didn't see the other port. Speed control is definitely needed. I just got some 1/4" inline speed control valves off ebay for $5 ea. They're working perfectly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the valve from fright props. It is a two way cylinder. And I have speed. Controls. Thanks.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
With the current set-up do you think you could use a spring or bungee cord to return the rod into the cylinder? There is a hole in the vertical black piece above the clevis and below the pivot point. perhaps you could attach bungee or spring here and mount the other end to the vertical wood support. Thus when the rod is activated it would stretch the bungee horizontally and when the air is deactivated the spring or bungee could return the linkage back to its original poistion.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
With the current set-up do you think you could use a spring or bungee cord to return the rod into the cylinder? There is a hole in the vertical black piece above the clevis and below the pivot point. perhaps you could attach bungee or spring here and mount the other end to the vertical wood support. Thus when the rod is activated it would stretch the bungee horizontally and when the air is deactivated the spring or bungee could return the linkage back to its original poistion.
Yes. Try that first. You may have to play around with the length and strength/elasticity of the bungee cord but that may be the simple and easy solution to your problem.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the bungee. It was too strong with the right tension to pull it back. It wouldn't let the action go at a good speed. It just kind of creeper forward. I will use the other valve. I will need it anyway eventually. I usually change it around every season. Thanks for the help. The bungee was my plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts