Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK im having a huge Halloween party and i wanted to have some Fake Fire Props. My idea was to use big Drum Barrels and put a fan in it pointed upward blowing on a sheet of silk. There will be red lights pointed at the silk to make it look like Flames. Has anybody done anything like this before or advice for me. I know they make small versions of this they sell at Halloween stores.:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a note: For the fan to blow air effectively out the top of the drum, you will have to give some thought as to where that air comes from. Cutting a hole in the back of the drum is a pain so maybe you can create a duct inside the drum with a cardboard partition. Just placing a fan in the bottom might not create an effective blow out the top; the air also has to reenter the drum from somewhere. Best wishes!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,576 Posts
There are several different options that I saw on hauntproject.com:

DragonFire

Dancing Ghosts

If you got a fan like this:
Aloha 20" High Velocity Fan : Target

Instead of the typical box fan, it should fit down inside a barrel with some room to spare. I'd build a shelf or something so it's not all the way on the bottom, and then rig up the faux flames the way one of the other tutorials direct.

Now is a good time to find fans on clearance, too...

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
agreed with harminca... you need as much flow into the fan as it blows or you will cause convection and pull the cloth down

I suggest mostly hollowing out the bottom of the drum leaving a frame of metal for structure and elevating the base for flow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of fabric do you think i need? i heard that silver silk would work good. And im not sure what kind of light would be best. Any Recommendations

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
What kind of fabric do you think i need? i heard that silver silk would work good. And im not sure what kind of light would be best. Any Recommendations
Most fabric stores carry a fabric called "imitation china silk" it should be about 3-4$ per yard. It is very lightweight and has a slight sheen to it; which is perfect for reflecting the colored flood lights. White is best! If your working with a non-colored flood light orange fabric is better.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Just one thought if you decide to forgo the actual flames. I just made a barrel fire prop for my haunt. It turned out better than I expected and I'd actually be hard pressed to know there wasn't a fire burning inside if you ignored the lack of smoke...

YouTube - Barrel "Bum Fire" Halloween prop

This is made of out a steel 55 gallon drum cut down to 2/3rds size (with an angle grinder and cutting wheel).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the effect of the fire barrel on the video i would really like it if I had a flame shooting out though. I bought a small work light and put a red flood light i bought from HomeDepot and pointed the light at the material infront of a fan and the light made the fabric look almost pink. Did i buy the wrong type of bulb ... any recomendations on a Dark Red Bulb

·
Registered
46 Posts
Greetings, my first post! To save yourself time and trouble, might I suggest a machine called the "Chauvet bob"? You can find them on ebay for about $40 and is a great alternative to building your own. The best part is, you can put in in a cauldron, stack wood around it like a campfire, or just about anything as long as you leave enough room for the fan to work. The best part is that it comes with light bulbs and silk, everything you need. I would suggest ordering a couple extra bulbs though, just to have on hand.

Hope this helps!

-James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i'm having a hell of a time finding white light weight imitation china silk and if i do find it its way to expensive. Any Recommendations maybe an online sore or something? HELP

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm sorry

it's been a really long week
can someone please translate the how to
on dragon fire into English for me

I got lost when she said the thingy into the thingy
around the thingy and then 1 into 2 and cuts this then that ??????????????

no really i did get lost

Please help I really love the way it looks and what to set it up out the top of these pillars

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll take a shot at it:

The red/orange rectangular thingy is simply a frame to hold the plastic to the outlet of the fan/blower.

She is using two plastic bags, one inside the other, to create the 'blowing around fire'. These bags are trimmed to different lengths with long triangle shaped cuts. What is not completely obvious is that she is cutting the triangles such that she removes the sealed end of the garbage bags. When done, she basically has a tube of plastic.

The one end of the tube gets taped to the frame that fits the output of the blower. The sliced up triangles will be the part up in the air. The air from the blower comes through the center of the plastic bags.

She shines lights onto the fluttering plastic to make the 'fire'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts